Author Topic: Ad-Aware 2007 Available....  (Read 28338 times)

drhayden1

Re: Ad-Aware 2007 Available....
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2007, 01:20:23 PM »
you know FwF my friend-i could understand maybe 5-10,000K running in the background-could live with that-but why a hogging amount of 30,000 and its the free version not the plus where the realtime requires some background.
for now i have been killing the task with winpatrol plus or run-services.msc and stop it when its not started and scanning and if i get tired of doing this bs for much longer unless ad-aware 2007 does something about it after all the complaints its probably getting it will go the way of the add/remove programs for good one more time and for the last time(2md install-i know polonus the curious side of me got to me again) ::) ???
click on fan-its animated ::)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 01:23:15 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2007, 01:59:01 PM »
Ad-Aware has been criticised here for poor malware removal; SUPERAntiSpyware is praised a lot for its malware removal rate. I guess it's a case of damned if you don't, and damned if you do. SUPERAntiSpyware leaves a whacking great service running, yet nobody objects. If the new Ad-Aware has the same sort of removal success, maybe the program will deserve some praise. Like SUPERAntiSpyware, it may no longer be a program to keep around if you like a lean, mean machine, but that might not be a bad thing if it can remove more infections.

Haven't decided whether to keep it: just killing the aawservice.exe in Task Manager for now.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2007, 02:38:26 PM »
Hi FwF and drhayden1,

Why don't you download Hitman Pro then, a complete anti ad/spy-ware Windows XP shell program with all the goodies (Ad-Aware etc. included) on board. Run it occasionally, clear (delete) it from your machine, because of the trial proggies there, and reinstall the fresh version once you want a cleansing routine the next time. Firms to do that on a regular basis charge you 80 bucks an inspection for that. It is just an idea for the CPU aware here. http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu7zjnWpGnLYAGWJXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB2cGpzZHNxBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2UEdnRpZAMEbANXUzE-/SIG=12a6984fa/EXP=1181478755/**http%3a//www.techspot.com/downloads/1278-hitman-pro.html

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2007, 02:42:18 PM »
@ Dan (cc FWF)
You would be better served by setting the service to Manual after you stopped it using services.msc, so it never starts and start it when required.

I use a batch file (for starting the AVG service) in my C:\ folder and a shortcut in the taskbar quick launch to start it only when required.

Create a file called 'StartAawSvc.bat' (or any name .bat you feel like) using notepad or your favourite text editor. There is only one line of text e.g. Net Start "AVG Anti-Spyware Guard" the text between the " " is the Service Name (copy from the Services window) it must have the quotes around the Service name, save the file, create a shortcut and your done.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

drhayden1

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2007, 03:01:15 PM »
i already have full version of spyware doctor as my realtime and i have spyware blaster in the background and i use cwshredder on occasion so there is no need for hitman pro davidr since probably most of them are trialware....
and thanks davidr and FwF for the advise...will probably just kill the task in winpatrol since that is the same as services.msc for the time being making up my mind in time whether i want to keep ad-aware giving me a headache 2007 pain in the computer memory background piece of software ::) :P
i know whenever i had to reboot it auto.starts so i have to kill the task when i reboot until i do the manual thing unless i do the add/remove thing first :-*
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 03:07:29 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2007, 03:15:28 PM »
Unless you can set the service to manual in winpatrol it will be back on the next boot, unless you are killing it completely and that is I believe unwise. Even if you are able to set it to manual you have no quick way to start it when you do need it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

drhayden1

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2007, 03:35:14 PM »
i'm not gonna worry about it anymore davidr my friend ;D
its going the way of the add/remove programs-its has been a headache for the last day or so and you and i have better things to do then a piece of software that shouldn't have the thing its doing and guess no reply in your false positive thread in the ad-aware forum(except from me)
soon as i hit the post tab below ad-aware 2007 is HISTORY 8) :o ::)
edited and updated-it's GONE ;D
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 03:51:21 PM by drhayden1 »

drhayden1

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2007, 09:48:17 PM »
my short and sweet review of ad-aware no-where on here anymore 2007 on download.com
http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-2007/9499-8022_4-10695895.html?pn=4&sb=0&v=0 3rd one down....
click on pic to supersize ::)
nice price :o
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 10:36:52 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2007, 07:40:36 PM »
here's what winpatrol plus said –C:\PROGRAM FILES\LAVASOFT\AD-AWARE 2007\AAWSERVICE.EXE
I killed the task(the Kill Task function does not delete the program file from your hard drive; it merely halts the program in memory)
'Killing' with WinPatrol will set the service to 'disable' mode. Not a file will be detected, only the service won't start.
I haven't tested the new version of Ad-aware yet. I'll post later what we 'lose' when the service is disabled...
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2007, 08:43:31 PM »
Testing ad-aware, the service could be disabled or set to manual.
You will only lost: resident shield, scheduled scannings and updates.
Neither of these features are present in the free version. Indeed, it would be good, in the free version, does not even install the service in my opinion.

drhayden1

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2007, 11:02:55 AM »
The Ad-Aware 2007 service has been updated today to version 7.0.1.4. Get the component update using Ad-Aware 2007 Update Manager:
aawservice.exe is located in the default directory of Ad-Aware 2007:
from the ad-aware forum....
What is the use of aawservice.exe ?
aawservice.exe is the executable file that is the heart of the AAW2007 engine. Current malware operates at the kernel level, or even as rootkits, so to fight those you have to be at the same level they are. You can't get to the kernel level from the API, it requires the use of services and drivers.
Why does it is installed and ran automatically when I install Ad-Aware 2007 Free Edition ?
The free (Personal) edition uses the same engine as the Plus and Pro, just has some features turned off.
Why when I close Ad-Aware 2007 this service keeps running ?
See answer 2 above. Additionally, it is easier for malware to stop a service from starting than stop one that is already running.
Why when I stop and disable this service, then launch Ad-Aware 2007 I get an error message ?
As explained above, aawservice.exe is the executable for AAW2007. When you disable the service you disable the application.
Okay, if you don't want the service running in the background then you will either have to control the service manually or select a different product. If you decide on the latter then you will want to avoid such things as NOD32, Counterspy, Sunbelt Personal Firewall, or a² Antimalware just to name a few
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=9893 and the problem is being worked on....
http://000file.googlepages.com/aawsevice.html watch this video on how to set to manual ;)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 11:45:03 AM by drhayden1 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2007, 02:28:41 PM »
Looks like it might get the boot if I don't find a way to disable it.
Set it to manual and it will be load just when you start Ad-aware.

is there anything else i can do to be on the safe side ???
I'm not following you... what do you mean?

drhayden1

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2007, 02:35:41 PM »
Set it to manual and it will be load just when you start Ad-aware.

already reinstalled it and did just like the video(in my above post) and soon whenever they said they will have the issue resolved
is there anything else i can do to be on the safe side
nevermind that tech ;D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 02:37:36 PM by drhayden1 »