Author Topic: Web Shield Question  (Read 2628 times)

xivspartanvix

Web Shield Question
« on: June 10, 2007, 07:43:48 AM »
Hello, I just started using avast antivirus a few days ago and i need some help. Is the web shield a necessary process? I mean i know it works as a proxy, but is it absolutely necessary for it to be turned on?

Re: Web Shield Question
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 09:13:50 AM »
Hi! Web shield is an instrument that scans your HTTP traffic wile you are surfing the Internet,if Web Shied will found some kind of malicious code on a web page, i will block it to prevent access o your PC. So if you need  my IMHO then it must be work.
Take care. ;) 8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 02:56:04 PM »
It is an essential provider IMHO, as it intercepts malware before it arrives on your HDD/browser cache. Prevention is much better than cure and is easier to deal with by simply dropping the connection for that file than detecting and dealing with it once on your HDD.

Quote from: Extract avast Help file
Web Shield - Provider Settings

Web Shield provider protects your computer from viruses that may infect your computer when browsing the Internet - especially when downloading files from web pages.

If you - possibly by mistake - download an infected file and try to start it, avast! will prevent the infection thanks to its Standard Shield provider (which scans all files that you start of open). With Web Shield, however, the virus will be detected even sooner - during the download of the file. So, Web Shield makes your computer even safer than before.

This provider also makes it possible to block specific URL addresses.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

xivspartanvix

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 07:42:07 PM »
Alright then, i will choose to keep it on, thanks!!  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 07:59:08 PM »
No problem, welcome to the forums.

Stick around and browse the forums, especially the sticky topics at the top of each of the forums, not to mention the avast help file. They provide a wealth of information to help you get the best from avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security