Author Topic: Update Problem  (Read 9337 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Update Problem
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 05:17:26 PM »
Are you really standing before us and saying that every single post of a 4C7 error in this forum is a case if a user cancelling?

How on earth ... just tell me ... does a user cancel something that your software is doing?????????????????????????????

kubecj

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 05:23:21 PM »
4c7 is manual user cancel, avast should never 'magically' cancel itself.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 05:29:14 PM »
You did not answer my question.

Look at the logs in this forum ... just how does a user cancel in the middle of avast performing an automatic update?

Are you totally avoiding the logic of what is presented to you?

kubecj

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 05:49:14 PM »
I checked the code again. What I see is what I said. 0x4C7 is supposed to be caused only by user's input.

Please show me any log where you have doubts about validity of my statement.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 05:51:29 PM »
What I'm saying from my reading between the lines of Alan's posts (and his confirmation) are his users didn't cancel anything the update failed.

It wasn't cancelled by the user so the error is wrong for the circumstances, the user didn't cancel because of network problems or otherwise, the update failed.

What I guess we expect is that the error would be correct, something has cancelled the update for whatever reason. I don't know under what circumstances avast might/would cancel the but it wasn't the user so the error is wrong for that circumstance.

I can't show any log as it hasn't happened to me and don't have access to them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 06:35:01 PM »
In my many years of running software development and support organizations I always asked my developers to look at problems from the user's point of view and not from the view of their own code.  I think that this thread suggests there may be some learning opportunities in the avast team.

David's observation is again to the point.

It is clearly avoiding reality to say that 4C7 is caused by cancellation by the user.  That implies the user took some action to stop avast performing an update.  It is an unhelpful diagnosis even if it is literally correct - it simply puts a roadblock across the path of the user and offers no assistance on where to go next and is basically saying "Your problem not mine". 

As soon as I have the log in question I will post it - but it will probably elicit the same response. 

« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 06:37:19 PM by alanrf »

kubecj

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 06:49:27 PM »
I'm still missing your point. To be clear, I'm missing any point in your messages.  ::)

My diagnosis is based purely on code I have, because it's the only thing I have right now. There is nothing else in this thread (except for initial message without any setup.log and few rants).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 08:18:48 PM »
Alanrf, please, post the log ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 08:48:53 PM »
I'm still missing your point. To be clear, I'm missing any point in your messages.  ::)

My diagnosis is based purely on code I have, because it's the only thing I have right now. There is nothing else in this thread (except for initial message without any setup.log and few rants).

Whilst the code might well say that the code and subsequent 4C7 error is caused by a user cancellation.

The problem is when this 4C7 error is returned when the user 'didn't' cancel or have any input, then 'logically' it is wrong irrespective of what the code says. If a user didn't cancel an update how is it possible to return this error code ? Under what circumstances would avast cancel an update (is one of those returning the wrong code) ?

It just seems strange that we now have a rash of this 0x4C7 error.

I think that there may be a possibility which could account for an unknown user cancel. I personally have almost cancelled an update because I (like many others probably) continue working whilst an update is going on. The avast update process steals focus, so I have frequently been typing (two finger touch typist ;D, who watches the keyboard, not the screen), only to find that focus has been stolen by the secondary update screen.

If I have clicked the enter key, whilst the update window has focus, the active button is the 'Cancel' button. Fortunately I usually notice the are you sure dialogue window, but I guess it is possible that the cancellation could also be accidentally/unknowingly accepted.

However, this is a big ask to believe that this is what may have happened to the multiple users Alan supports who reported this having done this. Perhaps avast should consider not having the avast pop-up window not steal focus.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security