Author Topic: Firefox problems  (Read 17880 times)

opus872

Firefox problems
« on: June 17, 2007, 09:05:26 AM »
Lately, when I start using Firefox after being idle for a while, it locks up when I click on my first link. I get the hourglass, lasts almost a minute. Then everything works fine again. If I stop Avast's On-Access Protection, the problem is fixed. Obviously, I hate to do that, hoping there might be other solutions...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Firefox problems
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 01:30:17 PM »
Don't stop all on-access protection, pause or terminate the web shield and see if that resolves the problem.

If it does there is something else going on in your system as the web shield shouldn't work in this erratic way, it would either work all of the time or none of the time. As you say 'lately' so it must have worked fine previously ?

When this hourglass is there it usually indicates program loading, etc. have you updated firefox or add any new extensions recently (since you noticed this issue) ?

What Operating System are you using ? is it up to date ?
What is your firewall ?

What other security based software do you have that might have an impact, e.g. anti-spyware, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

How do you connect to the internet (dial-up/broadband) and does your ISP insist you use a proxy to connect to the internet ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

opus872

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 02:56:34 PM »
Thanks David. No new extensions. OS is WinXP Home, all patches up to date. Firewall is free version (7) of Zone Alarm. The only other security software is WinPatrol. Connect to net by cable modem, no proxy.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 03:00:51 PM »
No new extensions.
Can you post a list of your extensions?
Mr Tech Local Install could give you a list of them.

Is the problem only a delay or you can't connect/browse after Firefox loads?
The best things in life are free.

opus872

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 06:28:37 PM »
It's just a delay, but a pretty long one each time. Stoping the Web Shield doesn't help, but stopping the Standard Shield seems to fix the problem.

Extensions: Adblock, Roboform, CustomizeGoogle, BugMeNot, FirefoxShowcase, Flashblock, IEView, LinkVisitor, MenuEditor, ResizeableTextArea, Sage. Disabled MouseZoom and NoSquint.

Incidentally, another problem I'm having with Firefox lately is a delay in appearance of typed text onscreen or in response to things like right or left arrow movement.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 07:17:20 PM »
Stopping the Standard Shield isn't wise (a delay is preferable to a lack of protection) and would indicate that it is scanning something, is the avast icon rotating at this time ?

Or enable Show detailed info on performed action in standard shield to see what it is scanning.

It might be worth reinstalling firefox to see if that improves the situation and then over a period of time add your favourite (security) extensions to see if there is one that may be the problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 07:31:12 PM »
It's just a delay, but a pretty long one each time. Stoping the Web Shield doesn't help, but stopping the Standard Shield seems to fix the problem.
Besides David's suggestion, you could test setting the Standard Shield sensitivity to Normal level and not High to see if it helps.

Do you have other browsers to test the same behaviors? IE? Opera?

opus872

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 08:06:57 PM »
I enabled Show Detailed Info on the standard shield. Mostly the popups go by too fast to fee what it's scanning, but Firefox's sessionstore files seem to be what's hanging the program. I've reinstalled FF, no change in behavior. IE doesn't appear to exhibit this behavior.

Is there some way to save the scanned file list so I can look at it before it disappears?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 09:02:46 PM »
I recall someone else with this session store issue as it is loading all the session information and files, they are going to be scanned by the standard shield before they are opened.

What is the sensitivity of the standard shield, Normal is the default ?

Give us a few examples of the session store files and location and perhaps we can exclude them ?

opus872

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 09:08:12 PM »
The standard shield sensitivity is normal. The sessionstore files are consecutively numbered: sessionstore-1.js, sessionstore-2.js, etc. I just deleted over 4,000 of them. I also excluded the entire Firefox profile folder from Avast's scanning, we'll see if that helps...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 11:01:15 PM »
I just deleted over 4,000 of them.
Which is the path of this files? If I have session store I want to delete them too. Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 11:36:55 PM »
Don't exclude the whole profile folder that is too big a target and could leave you vulnerable, <path>\sessionstore-*.js this will only exclude sessionstore files and the * wildcard will take care of the sequential numbering.

Since you have allowed the sessionstore to grow to such a large number, do you really need it to get that large, by reducing the number of days (or other delimiter) worth of session information to store you may not experience any delay without having to exclude the files.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 11:43:46 PM »
<path>\sessionstore-*.js
David, do you know the path here?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 11:53:02 PM »
I don't know his exact path which is why I indicated the <path> but for most people the firefox profile is where these sessionstore files would be kept. Since opus872 has already deleted lots of these sessionstore file they would know the location they are stored.

However this is a likely location, somewhere in the default user profile:
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xj8ov5fx.default

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 12:16:30 AM »
However this is a likely location, somewhere in the default user profile:
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\
I have no sessions stored in this path of my computer... ???