Author Topic: Firefox problems  (Read 17879 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Firefox problems
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 12:48:12 AM »
The sessionstore files appear to be created all the time by Firefox 2.

If you Firefox session terminates abnormally you are asked (by default) if you want to resume the previous session or start a new one.  The sessionstore file is used ot resume the session.

For most users the sessionstore file is deleted when Firefox terminates normally.  However the file is retained if the user selects the startup option:

"Show me my windows and tabs from last time" 

where most of us probably have "Show my home page".

It would seem that some error condition in Firefox or perhaps some override of the config settings in Firefox is causing this buildup of excess sessionstore files.  A couple of previous avast poster seemed to experience this problem too.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 01:09:40 AM »
Hi alanrf,

Go to view - toolbars - Customize .. click and restore default set/
That could do the trick. Or use the Febe extension to restore all your various settings.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

opus872

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 01:23:16 AM »
However this is a likely location, somewhere in the default user profile:
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\
I have no sessions stored in this path of my computer... ???

That's where it should be, if you're using FF 2 and sessionstore is enabled.

opus872

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2007, 01:26:25 AM »
It would seem that some error condition in Firefox or perhaps some override of the config settings in Firefox is causing this buildup of excess sessionstore files.  A couple of previous avast poster seemed to experience this problem too.

Yep, seems to be a bug in FF2.  Same applies to multiple bookmark and cookie files.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 01:28:03 AM »
I need glasses  ;D
Although they're only 12 files and not 4000
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 01:37:58 AM »
You could search for sessionstore* in explorer to see if there are any, assuming you have this function enabled. I don't and the sessionstore isn't part of the default installation. I have 0 sessionstore-*.js files on my system.

Now you have found them ;D I would imagine you have them limited in some way.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

clulessuser

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 01:44:53 AM »
The number of sessionstore files in FF is partially dependent on the number of days you have asked to store browsing 'history'.

Since I use the FF option to 'clear private data' (Tools > Privacy > Private Data) each time I close FF (including browsing history),  I seldom have more than 2 sessionstore files:  1) the base sessionstore.js; and 2) sessionstore-n.js).

PS:  Since I do not keep browsing history, the sessionstore files disappear when I close FF...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 02:01:03 AM by cluelessuser »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 02:54:10 AM »
PS:  Since I do not keep browsing history, the sessionstore files disappear when I close FF...
Good answer. Thanks.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2007, 05:28:56 AM »
Not a good answer ... sessionstore retention has nothing to do with browsing history.

The sessionstore file disappears for most users on every termination of Firefox ... as I explained above.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 05:30:33 AM by alanrf »

opus872

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2007, 06:37:12 AM »
Not a good answer ... sessionstore retention has nothing to do with browsing history.
The sessionstore file disappears for most users on every termination of Firefox ... as I explained above.

Yup, there should not be multiple sessionstore files, its function is to restore the last session only.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2007, 03:18:07 PM »
<snip>

Strange even when I have just opened firefox and right now I don't have any sessionstore*.js files. I do have the 'Show my windows and Tabs from last time' option set. So any tabs I leave open when I close firefox are opened on start, yet I have zero sessionstore files ???
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 03:20:18 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2007, 09:32:49 PM »
Yup, there should not be multiple sessionstore files, its function is to restore the last session only.

Except if the browser crash or the computer is shutdown (power failure). Seems the file is kept there. Am I wrong?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2007, 11:16:42 PM »
You are right.

As I said - the file is deleted on normal termination (for most users) and in the case of an abnormal termination it is still there and used to offer the user the chance to restore the previous session. 

However I am curious about David's report. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2007, 01:10:45 AM »
There was another topic about multiple sessionstore files and I checked at that point and I didn't have any. I though this was something that you had to physically select as an option or install an extension, etc. and since I hadn't done that, I though that was why I didn't have any sessionstore files.

From Alan's post, etc. I find that this should be a default action, one that isn't working on my system. I don't know if this might have anything to do with the fact that I run firefox under dropmyrights, though I would be surprised if that were the case as I can even install extensions under DropMyRights.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2007, 01:20:23 AM »
Update:

OK I shutdown firefox and checked for and found sessionstore.js, however, when I restarted firefox the sessionstore.js file is gone. So that might account for why I couldn't find it whilst firefox was running. So it would appear that the sessionstore.js file is written on closure, which seems strange to me as in the instance of a crash or abnormal shutdown how would this file be written.

Nor do I understand why there would be sessionstore-n.js files if only one is supposed to be stored, I would have thought it would overwrite the sessionstore.js file ???