Author Topic: Firefox problems  (Read 17878 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Firefox problems
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2007, 03:20:31 AM »
I can even install extensions under DropMyRights.
If you use DropMyRights after installing and using Firefox, will DropMyRights reuse the settings (bookmarks, extensions, etc.) or it will start a new profile?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2007, 03:22:05 AM »
So it would appear that the sessionstore.js file is written on closure, which seems strange to me as in the instance of a crash or abnormal shutdown how would this file be written.
It's not 'up to be written' when a crash occur, but it seems to be a temporary file continuously updated, so it's there, ready, before the crash.

clulessuser

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2007, 05:29:20 AM »
Not a good answer ... sessionstore retention has nothing to do with browsing history.
Well, there you have it.  Note the name "cluelessuser" is appropriate! ;D  My observations on my system are not generalizable...

OK I shutdown firefox and checked for and found sessionstore.js, however, when I restarted firefox the sessionstore.js file is gone. So that might account for why I couldn't find it whilst firefox was running. So it would appear that the sessionstore.js file is written on closure, which seems strange to me as in the instance of a crash or abnormal shutdown how would this file be written.

Nor do I understand why there would be sessionstore-n.js files if only one is supposed to be stored, I would have thought it would overwrite the sessionstore.js file ???

On my system, while FF is open, there is always at least sessionstore.js and sessionstore1.js.  I always assumed that the sessionstore.js holds general parameters of the session while sessionstore1.js tracks tabbing and browsing history to update sessionstore.js.

There have been times when I've had up to sessionstore3.js.  Perhaps if sessionstore1.js is (for whatever reason) still in existence, it will create sessionstore2.js, etc.

My system is old and slow, so it will sometimes take up to a minute for sessionstore.js to 'go away' after closing FF (also, I have other system complexities that may contribute to that timing).

BTW, I see this exchange going on continuously while running Avast Standard shield, as it is scanning both sessionstore files while I 'surf'...  which is one feature of Avast that I like!  8)  I 'know' it is working for me...  ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2007, 12:12:08 PM »
I can even install extensions under DropMyRights.
If you use DropMyRights after installing and using Firefox, will DropMyRights reuse the settings (bookmarks, extensions, etc.) or it will start a new profile?

DropMyRights changes nothing in your firefox settings and to all intents and purposes firefox knows no difference other than if there is a function that requires administrator privileges. The only time I found that was on a program update when I needed admin privileges. I have been able to update and install new extensions whilst using FF under dropmyrights.

So it would appear that the sessionstore.js file is written on closure, which seems strange to me as in the instance of a crash or abnormal shutdown how would this file be written.
It's not 'up to be written' when a crash occur, but it seems to be a temporary file continuously updated, so it's there, ready, before the crash.

See for yourself, running FF and no sessionstore.js in the folder so I don't see how a file that doesn't exist is constantly updated unless it is in memory only, unlikely I would have thought.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2007, 11:49:08 PM »
DropMyRights changes nothing in your firefox settings and to all intents and purposes firefox knows no difference other than if there is a function that requires administrator privileges. The only time I found that was on a program update when I needed admin privileges. I have been able to update and install new extensions whilst using FF under dropmyrights.
Thanks David. After a long time I'll give it a test. Better late than never.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2007, 01:04:34 AM »
Your welcome, I think you will like it as it is relatively unobtrusive, you almost don't notice it. You can do all the other tasks you would need admin rights and just apply it to applications that connect to the internet directly, e.g browsers, email clients, P2P, IM, etc. There may be some P2P applications that insist on admin rights.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2007, 01:34:19 AM »
Your welcome, I think you will like it as it is relatively unobtrusive, you almost don't notice it. You can do all the other tasks you would need admin rights and just apply it to applications that connect to the internet directly, e.g browsers, email clients, P2P, IM, etc. There may be some P2P applications that insist on admin rights.
Well... freezed my computer twice... :'(
I mean, firefox took all CPU running bellow DropMyRights and I have to reset the computer...
Well... I'll try again with nothing important running in background and when I have a little more time...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2007, 02:18:09 AM »
I didn't notice any appreciable difference with any program running under DropMyRights, my firefox has always been heavy on memory, currently 103Mb, but no really high CPU usage, I have seen it peak at 50% when browsing and only for a few seconds whilst pages load.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 02:19:51 AM by DavidR »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2007, 03:22:14 AM »
I didn't notice any appreciable difference with any program running under DropMyRights, my firefox has always been heavy on memory, currently 103Mb, but no really high CPU usage, I have seen it peak at 50% when browsing and only for a few seconds whilst pages load.
I wish I had this luck...