Author Topic: Avast! does not disconnect  (Read 4364 times)

roba953

Avast! does not disconnect
« on: February 23, 2004, 03:09:22 AM »
I am running on Win95 and IE 5.5 using a modem.  I just recently installed Avast! 4 Home version (used to have Norton) and I noticed that Avast does not disconnect after an update.  I have ePrompter that dials up, checks my emails and disconnects without any problem.  I had programmed Norton AV to update itself during the night and was disconnecting itself after.

Any idea why it's happening?   Can I program when to check for updates?

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Avast! does not disconnect
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 03:15:30 AM »
I am running on Win95 and IE 5.5 using a modem.  I just recently installed Avast! 4 Home version (used to have Norton) and I noticed that Avast does not disconnect after an update.  I have ePrompter that dials up, checks my emails and disconnects without any problem.  I had programmed Norton AV to update itself during the night and was disconnecting itself after.

Any idea why it's happening?   Can I program when to check for updates?

Thanks

As far I know, avast does not have a dialer module, so it won't dial nor hang...
But why don't you simple check the automatic update? It's incremental and could take less than 15 seconds to finish...  ;)
The best things in life are free.

roba953

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 04:42:42 AM »
The automatic update is checked since day 1.

Does Avast! update itself only when I am on internet?

Will it try to update itself if I am not connected?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 04:58:21 AM »
The automatic update is checked since day 1.
Does Avast! update itself only when I am on internet?

Yes, it waits 20 seconds after the detection of a connection and verifies the existence of an update. If not, it will try again after 4 hours.

Will it try to update itself if I am not connected?

No, like I said, it does not have a dialer or hanger mode  :-*

roba953

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 11:17:32 PM »
What would happen is ePrompter (an email notifier) is disconnecting my computer before avast! update is completed.  Will it reconnect automatically like IE?

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 11:47:56 PM »
What would happen is ePrompter (an email notifier) is disconnecting my computer before avast! update is completed.  Will it reconnect automatically like IE?

Thanks

No roba  :'(
The package will be detected as 'corrupt' and the system will remain in the state before the update. New time you connect avast! will try to do another update, this time, if you let, a complete package will be delivered and your system updated  8)