Author Topic: How to make defender Security provider instead of avast free antivirus  (Read 2044 times)

Offline peter.k.lauritzen

In my current setup in windows10 avast is registered as Security provider, while defender is turned off.
So how to switch around, s.t. Defender is default Security provider?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Windows Defender gets disabled by the operating system (not avast) when you install any 3rd party antivirus.

Not sure why you would want to do this, if you installed Avast, because it is designed as a resident antivirus.

However, it is possible using the AvastUI > Menu > Settings > General > Troubleshooting > Enable Passive mode.
I don't know if this act will automatically set Defender as the Default AV, you would need to check that in the Windows Security > Virus and Threat Protection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hi David

Thanks for response.
Your suggestion to set avast in passive mode actually works, i.e. by doing this defender automatically becomes enabled in windows Security and avast disabled.

The reason for this configuration of 3. Party antivirus (e.g. Malwarebytes and avast) in passive mode is an advice I got in www.tenforums.com for windows10:

1. Use defender as default protection
2. If you want additional protection (to wear belt and braces) possibly supplement with 3.party sw in passive mode.

Br Peter
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 07:39:14 PM by peter.k.lauritzen »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Personally Avast offers more in the way of protection than simple AV scan of Defender.

The trouble with passive mode is just that it is passive, on-demand doesn't catch real-time malware.

I would suggest you check all of what avast antivirus provides in real-time protection (all of the shields and components) against what defender provides.

I have just been reading an article in PC Pro issue 322 comparing AV products, and Avast Free comes out very well.  Avast Free 5 ***** stars, Microsoft Windows Security 2 ** stars.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Ok, same argument for malwarebytes?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I haven't used MBAM in a very long time, I even had a lifetime license.

I never found that it brought mush to the party and when it went to Version 3, it became bloated and because of the previous point I abandoned it. 

MBAM also recommended making exclusions in avast (or your av) to avoid conflict and equally ad exclusions in MBAM for your AV.

With what I considered to be a very limited benefit, the bloat in version 3 and the exclusions, etc. etc.  I only used it as an on demand option and finally just removed it and have never been back.  So I have no experience of it in its current form.