Author Topic: My icons are missing - do I still have resident protection?  (Read 2263 times)

laborgrrl

Hello -

I've been searching around the forum trying to find the answer to my specific question, but came up a little short. Both of my icons (the a and the i) are missing. I read enough to know that it's probably because I install Spybot S&D or perhaps it's because I used ccleaner. Either way, I got a nasty virus (detected by Avast - thank you!) and it took a lot of work to get it and all of its trailing nasties off the computer. The icons have been missing for a couple of days now, and I've been trying to limit my time on the web because I wasn't sure if I still had resident protection without them. Additionally, I went into my add/remove programs and it says that I use Avast rarely and haven't used it at all since April.

I'm on a Toshiba Satellite running XPHome.

Thanks to anyone who can help me with this...

LG

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.

laborgrrl

Re: My icons are missing - do I still have resident protection?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 02:43:07 PM »
Hey Tech,

Thanks for posting this link, it is similar to the others I was able to find when searching earlier this morning. I'm not sure it answers my question, though. I'm wondering if I have still have resident protection, even without my icons. I can still run an Avast scan using the simple interface (did it just now and came up virus-free!), but I am unsure about whether I still have virus protection running in the background all the time.

Thanks again for your help!
LG

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 04:22:44 PM »
The resident protection should still remain (though we don't know if there is anything else going on with your system) as the avast icon is effectively only an interface.

What avast processes are running in task manager, they begin with ash and asw, see image ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 11:47:12 PM »
Besides the info required by David, you can test with www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm
The best things in life are free.