Author Topic: An installation already exists, bluescreen happened during installation  (Read 889 times)

Offline abrody

Dear Avast support forum,
I had a blue screen during the setup.exe process on Windows 10.    I can't seem to run the setup again, even after removing the contents of the C:\Program Files\Avast Antivirus\ folder using the Powershell.    It never got added to Start menu-> Programs and features and I cleared the registry issues with CC Cleaner, and it still does not let me reinstall Avast.    I am getting paging errors on the machine of a client of mine, and we are going to swap in new RAM.    Are there any other residue files I need to remove before I can run the installer again?

Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Well you have used two non standard means of trying to uninstall avast.

These may have left remnants of avast.
Clean Reinstall -
1. - Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, avastclear.exe https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD. Make a note of the steps required or print the page.
2. - Download the latest Avast off-line installation file for your Avast Program http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup_offline.exe and save to your HDD.

Follow the instructions in the link in 1.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 06:48:52 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline abrody

Thank you.  Will hopefully have a chance to try this by Monday.  If only safe mode was possible remotely.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Thank you.  Will hopefully have a chance to try this by Monday.  If only safe mode was possible remotely.

You're welcome.

Well I'm not sure about not being able to do it remotely (never had to do anything remotely), if the avast clear can be placed and run, I thought it was meant initiate the boot into safe mode and run (despite what the tutorial said). 

Again I haven't had to do this live, even sitting in front of the system and just running the avastclear.exe, it is meant to handle the boot into safe mode.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security