Author Topic: how to know what currently is working behind the scenes?  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Vilper

how to know what currently is working behind the scenes?
« on: June 24, 2021, 02:40:07 PM »
So if I want to know if any activity (especially scanning) is going on right now in Avast and that might affect my RAM and processor?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: how to know what currently is working behind the scenes?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 04:44:34 PM »
With a resident, on-access antivirus is installed (not just Avast), its purpose is to monitor/scan activity on the system in order to protect the user.

So it is in a state of persistent scanning when your system is active, but that really shouldn't have a massive impact on your system.  However that is likely to be different depending on the users system spec (which you don't mention) and the programs you are running at the time.

On-Demand scans should only run if you have scheduled them to run, have you set any to run scheduled ?

Why are you asking this question, e.g. are you experiencing problems ?
If so can you give more details on what you are doing when this occurs
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline wizzlbang

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 01:19:39 PM »
it use to be a feature that avast would show you a history of exactly what files and URLs were scanned, but its been removed for years. I think it made computer-hypochondriacs wig out.

Offline Vilper

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 05:54:11 PM »
I don't wanna know the timings, I know the schedule, I just want an indicator if the program is actually scanning something at the moment or not.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 07:35:18 PM »
I don't wanna know the timings, I know the schedule, I just want an indicator if the program is actually scanning something at the moment or not.

You didn't answer any of the questions I asked, without information it is hard to help.
Essentially there is no schedule unless you have set scans to be run, hence my questions.

That Avast Tray Icon would be throbbing if it were scanning at the time.  That said, if you are running programs, as an on-access scanner that is likely to be a frequent occurrence.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vilper

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 11:26:42 AM »
Ok, let me ask in a different manner to elaborate my question, maybe my original one was vague.

Assume that I let it scan many times per day in different unaligned (hence unpredictable) days, I am not remembering and I don't want to remember it, I just want a way to know (as soon as I open the app) that it is scanning at the moment or doing some activities that might affect my PC performance, sort of like a live activities monitoring.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 12:12:37 PM »
A very long time ago, years, there used to be a statistics element were it used to show the last 5 files scanned, this has been dropped by Avast. 

Personally I never considered it of any particular use to me, as in effect it was historic, by the time the data was displayed it was out of date (and insufficient) it would have been scanning.  But some others did and it was muted that a Statistics section, it was muted that it would be revamped, but so far it has never come back. 
Have you thought that something like you mention would also be generating CPU and RAM activity ?

Surely the Task Manager would give a better indication of Avasts activity, in regard to your first and this latest question (CPU and RAM usage)  ?

Avast is always going to be monitoring your activity (it what on-access antiviruses do) depending on the Shields that you have enabled, File, Web, Mail Shields, etc.

Offline Vilper

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 05:15:09 PM »
Yes, this is the issue. When I open the Task Manager to check for heavy activity and Avast is on the top (Above Chrome that uses a hell of a RAM with +2000 tabs), and then when I go to Avast and I check the history of the last scan is back in time and not a current one.

A simple message like "Avast is now conducting a full-scan on folder c:/pictures/notsocutepuppies" would be sufficient.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 05:51:17 PM »
Yes, this is the issue. When I open the Task Manager to check for heavy activity and Avast is on the top (Above Chrome that uses a hell of a RAM with +2000 tabs), and then when I go to Avast and I check the history of the last scan is back in time and not a current one.

A simple message like "Avast is now conducting a full-scan on folder c:/pictures/notsocutepuppies" would be sufficient.
You seem to forget that Avast also checks your internet access. So, if you have lots of tabs open, Avast is also doing more checking than when you just have one tab open.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Vilper

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2021, 09:30:20 AM »
Maybe, good point. Is there a way to check that as it happens?