Author Topic: New beta version 21.6.2471  (Read 7461 times)

Offline Karel Šťavík

• Avast team
New beta version 21.6.2471
« on: July 12, 2021, 10:41:14 AM »
Hi everyone,

there is a new beta version ready - 21.6.2471 (build 21.6.6393).

What's new

We're very excited to announce that Firewall will soon become a free feature in Avast Antivirus. It's very satisfying for us to realize all the network knowledge and expertise that was put into building our proprietary firewall will be materialized in a feature available to so many users around the world — strengthening our mission to provide amazing protection against cyber threats worldwide.Of course, the release of such a critical feature won't happen instantly for the user base as a whole. It will take us a few weeks to continuously roll it out for everyone. For now, all of our dedicated beta users will have a chance to enable it by themselves. You can do so from the post update screen (that will be shown once you get an 21.6 update) or through settings (Menu -> Settings -> Firewall). Free firewall will feature:
- Brand new UI (compared to our current one)
- Automatic profile selection (with the option for the user to override it, of course)
- Application overview / control (overview of apps that actively use network/internet plus their current network usage)
- Revamped ask mode (ability to enable/disable specific connections originating from the app)
- Status log (you will clearly see every app and device that was blocked by our Firewall, as well as why it was blocked)
- Customizable rules for "hardcore users". We will keep an advanced, premium firewall tier as well, which will have extra protection layers of: ARP spoofing detection, Port Scan Detection and Leak Protection for public networks.

There are some known issues with this first public version:
- FW is running even when you enable Passive mode
- FW is installed when you're upgrading from Free to Premium even when you uninstalled it manually from the Free product previously
- FW rules can be deleted even when they are "locked" in the UI (it's just an UI glitch, the core rules won't actually be deleted)
- FW blocks SMB shares, printers, networks shares and network drivers after additional installation into the Free AV — the current workaround is to change the network configuration to private/disable FW
- FW might block some outgoing windows traffic
- SmartScan sometimes incorrectly reports the Firewall's state.

Most of the above should be fixed by the upcoming beta release in a few days. Please, do play with this new tool of ours and let us know your feedback. Thanks!

Other news
Avast now sports a refreshed new menu that will ease the differentiation between AV features and other products

What was fixed
Fixed issue with consent dialogue displayed in the wrong user session in case there is more users working on the same PC via RDP

Known issues
UI might crash when there is a request for showing a dialogue immediately after Log in into the OS
There is a glitch in UI when you try to disable all core shield via advanced settings

Download links
Avast free https://bits.avcdn.net/productfamily_ANTIVIRUS/insttype_FREE/platform_WIN/installertype_ONLINE/build_BETA
Avast premium https://bits.avcdn.net/productfamily_ANTIVIRUS/insttype_APR/platform_WIN/installertype_ONLINE/build_BETA

Enjoy this beta!
We are looking forward to your feedback.

Also please be informed that we would appreciate if you would be so kind and try our Antivirus product based on so called "icarus" setup (installation and update engine) already used for other Avast products but now available also for AV. More information is here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=264883.0.
Please note that in order to get it, you need to uninstall the current one (automatic migration is not supported at the moment).

AVAST Team

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
Re: New beta version 21.6.2471
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 10:58:22 AM »
Thanks for the new beta. On icarus channel still no beta update though.

For the giveaway of the firewall component, it must be quite a big decision for the Avast guys and as a long-time user it is quite welcome.
But you guys have to be really careful to how distribute FW components to Free users, or you'll get plenty of complaints like "Avast is doing something on its own", "I don't authorize Avast to do it", bla bla bla... remember what happened when Secure Browser (SafeZone Browser at the time) went Free without former notice?
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 11:05:16 AM »
Quote from: Karel Šťavík
- Brand new UI (compared to our current one)

Fingers crossed an improvement I hope.

Does this get rid of the scroll fest called the geek:area and for gods sake document this hidden area, what's the point otherwise  ?
Undocumented and hidden makes the whole thing pointless.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 11:31:23 AM »
Thanks Karel, testing it asap...
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 02:00:02 PM »
I hope this firewall behaves like an extreme Fort Knox when I say BUGGER OFF!! ;D you know what I mean.
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline R R Mahmud

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 02:51:18 PM »
I think Avast premium security firewall will release with NEW LOOK AND NEW FEATURE AND EXTRA PROTECTION.Avast Users waiting for this

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 02:53:29 PM »
Thanks for the beta.
Updating now via beta channel. :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 03:08:42 PM »
FYI, it took two reboots for the splash screen to show up.

Now digging deeper into the new firewall UI... 8)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2021, 03:13:30 PM »

Keep me posted IF you can break or find a leak in the new Fort Knox FW, unless you can't tell somebody to bugger off.
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 10:54:42 PM »

Note: Here Splash Screen appeared immediately after 1st. reboot on both machines :)

Offline Carpender

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2021, 05:55:29 PM »
Hey, i was wondering what about the users that are using a 3rd party firewall? Now that avast is bringing it to their free AV too how will it impact those users?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2021, 06:40:03 PM »
Hey, i was wondering what about the users that are using a 3rd party firewall? Now that avast is bringing it to their free AV too how will it impact those users?

No doubt in the same way as it does with other 3rd party AVs, a choice will need to be made as to which one you want to be the active one.  No doubt you will either be able to choose which components you want (including the FW) to install in Avast or disable the firewall in the settings, like other avast free components.

Or Via the Windows Security Centre

However you might want to read the first post in this topic again, particularly those relating to the Firewall (FW)
- FW is installed when you're upgrading from Free to Premium even when you uninstalled it manually from the Free product previously
- FW rules can be deleted even when they are "locked" in the UI (it's just an UI glitch, the core rules won't actually be deleted)
- FW blocks SMB shares, printers, networks shares and network drivers after additional installation into the Free AV — the current workaround is to change the network configuration to private/disable FW
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2021, 06:52:46 PM »

No doubt in the same way as it does with other 3rd party AVs, a choice will need to be made as to which one you want to be the active one.  No doubt you will either be able to choose which components you want (including the FW) to install in Avast or disable the firewall in the settings, like other avast free components.

Or Via the Windows Security Centre

However you might want to read the first post in this topic again, particularly those relating to the Firewall (FW)

This FW addition to Avast Free I'm sure is going to be a welcomed development, however it will also be somewhat glitchy until the roll out is fine tuned and completed.

Offline Carpender

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2021, 07:25:29 PM »
Thank you for the responses. Yes, i do agree that it is a good development to have FW as a choice =)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2021, 07:34:17 PM »
You're welcome