Author Topic: it is not a virus  (Read 4300 times)

k_wijaya

it is not a virus
« on: June 23, 2007, 07:24:07 AM »
hi,i'm from indonesia when i was trying to use a new local (indonesian) anti virus PCMAV(www.pcmedia.co.id,www.virusindonesia.com) the avast antivirus 4.7 home edition detected PCMAV as a virus (ircbot) this is a mistake ,AVG also mistaken it as a virus and apologize (www.virusindonesia.com)can the people in avast please do something with this mistake.Thankyou

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: it is not a virus
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 08:06:28 AM »
What's the exact filename where it's detected, what's the exact virus name reported?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 01:58:31 PM »
Just to remember that using two antivirus at the same time in the same machine could take you into deep conflicts.
The best things in life are free.

k_wijaya

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 09:05:27 AM »
avast 4.7 home edition detect PCMAV as win32:IrcBot-BWU(Trj)
can someone in avast do something with this mistake

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 12:47:31 AM »
I hope they correct the false positive as soon as possible.
But maybe it's not a false positive, just that PCMAV is not encrypting its virus signatures. Could be not an avast fault.

You need to use the Exclusion lists:

For the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

For the other providers (on-demand scanning such as the screen-saver or the Simple User Interface):
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...

You can use wildcards like * and ?.
But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 01:18:45 AM »

Yes but what about the file name and location,  e.g. (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ? 
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections.

This may be something as simple as PCMAV not encrypting its virus signature files, so avast is detecting the signatures, but we won't know that without the above information. If it is unencrypted signatures than PCMAV should encrypt them so other AVs don't detect the signatures.

However, as Tech said, having two resident scanners installed is not recommended as rather than provide twice the protection it can cause conflicts that could leave you more vulnerable. So is this PCMAV a resident on-acces scanner like avast ?

You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner I feel virustotal is the better option as it uses the windows version of avast (more packers supported) and there are currently 32 different scanners.

Or Jotti - Multi engine on-line virus scanner if any other scanners here detect them it is less likely to be a false positive. Whichever scanner you use, you can't do this with the file in the chest, you will need to move it out.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 03:13:29 AM »
So is this PCMAV a resident on-acces scanner like avast ?
From what I see on the website, it is Clam av.  The website is in Indonesian, so I can't read anything else.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 02:50:59 PM »
Strange if it is Clam AV I don't recall it having any issues with unencrypted signatures or its executables being detected as a virus ???

Also if the same it is on-demand and I personally pause the standard shield when running another on-demand security application scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 04:00:16 AM »
Yes but what about the file name and location,  e.g. (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ? 
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections.
If the user does not answer David's question we can't help further...