Author Topic: Windows Security Alert  (Read 3611 times)

BornCynic

Windows Security Alert
« on: June 22, 2007, 10:01:53 AM »
I have the same situation as RPN had way back in October 2006, but in attempting to reply  I have been persuaded to open a new thread.  Following the last Avast update my Windows Security alert shows that anti virus is not running, but I'm happy that it is.  I'm running v4.7 on Windows home XP.

Followed the instructions previously given by tech but this did not resolve the situation.  Sadly, despite being very careful to only delete c:\windows\system32\wbem\repository, on reboot the folder c:\windows\system32\wbem is now empty.  Should I panic at this point?

BornCynic

Re: Windows Security Alert
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 11:03:47 AM »
Have you ever regretted starting something?  Since losing all files in the wbem folder my OS no longer monitors my firewall either ...  Deep sigh.

Can anyone help to reinstall these folders?

Please.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 12:24:33 PM »
Yep. Maybe. I haven't used this myself, but read some feedback from folk who have found it very useful.
http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix
Download, install, run, at the bottom of the GUI is a hammer icon. (Toolkit).
A selection of repairs including "Reset WMI/WBEM" and reinstall same (may require CD) will appear.
This might have the side affect of making the security centre work correctly.
If it does (or not) please let me (and others) know.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 02:24:09 PM »
Can anyone help to reinstall these folders?
Maybe this help...
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23457.msg193534#msg193534
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairwmi.htm

If you are running Windows XP, Service Pack 2 you can use a single command to detect and repair a corrupted WMI Repository. To do so, type the following from the command prompt (note that the parameter UpgradeRepository is case-sensitive and must be typed exactly as shown):
rundll32 wbemupgd, UpgradeRepository

After running UpgradeRepository you can verify the results by looking ay the Setup log. If inconsistencies are detected and if the operating system was able to rebuild the Repository you should see information in WMI Setup log (%windir%\System32\Wbem\Logs\Setup.log)

Sometimes, Windows Security Center stop recognizing your antivirus or firewall... The fix could be fairly easy for the most part.

1. Go to control panel and open Administrative tools.
2. Click on services.
3. Go down to Windows Management Instrumentation.
4. Stop this service. Stop Security Center service too.
    Let them to Automatically start.
5. Exit out of this area to your desktop.
6. Right click Start and choose Explore.
7. Go to c:\windows\system32\wbem\repository.
    Delete this subdirectory ONLY. Let the others there.
    Sometimes, only using Unlocker, MoveOnBoot or Delete FXP you can delete these files.
8. Exit back to your desktop and reboot your computer (maybe you need to boot twice).

This will rebuild the deleted folder and the database. Once restarted, Windows Security Center should show the correct info and antivirus and firewall should now be recoginized  ;)

Other answers for XP Security Center not detecting antivirus or firewall program could be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883792.
The best things in life are free.

BornCynic

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 03:20:34 PM »
Thanks guys for replies.  Before receiving them I had repaired my Windows OS with the original installation disk.  This replaced the wbem folders/files but did not solve the security alert situation.  I rolled back the registry 24 hours with ERDNT.  All is now back to normal.

Pity.  I would have liked to try the 'rundll32 wbemupgd, UpgradeRepository' patch.  Tech -- with respect, your stepped procedure is what deepened the hole I was digging for myself, VBG.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 04:01:32 PM »
Tech -- with respect, your stepped procedure is what deepened the hole I was digging for myself, VBG.
I don't think so. The repository should be automatically restored and remade after that...
The best things in life are free.