Author Topic: multiple pop & benchmarking  (Read 18557 times)

quinone

Re:multiple pop & benchmarking
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2004, 10:52:34 PM »
In short, Silent mode means: no questions. I.e., it should've also been called unattended mode as it is guaranteed that no user response will be required no matter how tough the situation is.

This doesn't mean that no stuff will be drawn on the screen, though...

I hope that explains it a bit.
Vlk

Okay, yes, that explains. And the tagging of emails? Can that be done (as the configuration sort of indicates), or am I misguided here?

Inge

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2004, 10:52:43 PM »
But is this transparency thing working in versions before 353 (beta) ?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2004, 10:56:12 PM »
Okay, yes, that explains. And the tagging of emails? Can that be done (as the configuration sort of indicates), or am I misguided here?

The INI thing I described in my previous post only affects the yellow-red on-screen "layer". Nothing else. So if you have the Internet Mail provider set up to add tags to infected mails, that functionality will stay unchanged.

But is this transparency thing working in versions before 353 (beta) ?

Nope, it has been added about a week ago.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

quinone

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2004, 11:08:48 PM »

The INI thing I described in my previous post only affects the yellow-red on-screen "layer". Nothing else. So if you have the Internet Mail provider set up to add tags to infected mails, that functionality will stay unchanged.

Er...I'm afraid I didn't explain properly. The thing is that the subject of my emails does *not* get tagged with a message when it is infected, eventhough I configured Avast! to do so. How comes that? Did I miss on a parameter that needed (un)checking?

Inge

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2004, 11:59:31 PM »
Quinone, more information about the avast4.ini file you can see here. Hope you can enjoy the avast! capability of configuration  8)
The best things in life are free.

quinone

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2004, 12:03:11 AM »
Thanks. Bookmarked it. I recently started playing with the user.js files of thunderbird and firefox, and opening up your configuration files for users seems a very friendly and open way of offering your software. Nice one!

Inge

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2004, 09:21:34 AM »
Inserting info to the subject works only for heuristic check. Virus info is added to the end of the mail text.

quinone

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2004, 09:32:31 AM »
Inserting info to the subject works only for heuristic check. Virus info is added to the end of the mail text.

Just did a complete help-file reading, but it says nothing about the option 'silent mode -> choose action' in the heuristic tab. When is heuristic check being performed? So far, all virus-infected emails that enter my mailbox are detected (with the yellow/blue layer popping up), and I don't have to answer anything (because silent mode is on). Eventhough, the subject title does not get additional info saying that there is a virus detected inside the email (and *that's* the thing I would like  ::))

Inge

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2004, 09:38:54 AM »
As vojtech said, this is currently impossible to configure.

quinone

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2004, 09:42:25 AM »
As vojtech said, this is currently impossible to configure.

Oh...didn't comprehend that from his answer  ::)

Good, then I'll leave the yellow/blue layer to keep me informed about found viruses in email. I guess subject-tagging (such as mcafee does if I'm not mistaken) is planned for the future? We have it at work, and it's quite, er, relaxing :)

Inge

quinone

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2004, 07:49:05 PM »
Kick ass  ;D The subject tagging works with the latest version, so I edited the .ini file to remove the layers. Avast is turning out to be more and more flexible for my setup. Good work, chech republic field commanders!

Last question (for now ;)): I have an adsl connection, meaning that my computer isn't connected to inet before I made this connection. I've enabled 'my computer is permanently connected to the Internet' though, because I don't want Avast to ping every 40 seconds. The problem of this combination is that I always get the red 'there was a problem...bla bla' layer above my systray once my computer has booted, because it can't find the connection that should be there. Can this be changed, and if so: where in the avast4.ini file can I disable this message? I always connect my computer anyway, so it's of no importance to me to read this message (assuming that problems on the server-side of Avast! itself are almost never-appearing).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2004, 02:40:04 AM »
Kick ass  ;D The subject tagging works with the latest version, so I edited the .ini file to remove the layers. Avast is turning out to be more and more flexible for my setup. Good work, chech republic field commanders!

Last question (for now ;)): I have an adsl connection, meaning that my computer isn't connected to inet before I made this connection. I've enabled 'my computer is permanently connected to the Internet' though, because I don't want Avast to ping every 40 seconds. The problem of this combination is that I always get the red 'there was a problem...bla bla' layer above my systray once my computer has booted, because it can't find the connection that should be there. Can this be changed, and if so: where in the avast4.ini file can I disable this message? I always connect my computer anyway, so it's of no importance to me to read this message (assuming that problems on the server-side of Avast! itself are almost never-appearing).

I suggest you disable the 'Show more information about...'. You'll see it's really annoying... Believe, avast! will be there doing its job.
To disable the blue panel (or red if it is an error): see avast4.ini file forum (here) at section [AAVM] and value: SuppressUpdateErrorInfo=1 to suppress update error message (not the update itself).

Hope this help.  ;)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2004, 01:30:47 PM »
Technical, it's better to solve the cause then the consequence. I mean, instead of suppresing the read box (which has its meaning), it's better to make the updater work!

There is a parameter in avast4.ini that tells avast how long to wait after the computer is woke up. It's in the [InetWD] section and is called

AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=Xx

As its name suggests, it expects the number of seconds to wait before attempting to update. The default is 30 but it may not be enough for all the DSL stuff so you can try increasing this e.g. to 60 (1 minute). That should be enough.

Anyway,

I've enabled 'my computer is permanently connected to the Internet' though, because I don't want Avast to ping every 40 seconds.

Wait a moment, did you really think that avast is pinging our servers every 40 seconds even if the connection works??? No, we're not such idiots to effectively DDOS our servers like this!!! ;D Of course, the ping only takes place when the previous DIDN'T work (i.e. the connection is not available -- or someone is blocking the ping packets)...

Vlk

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2004, 04:44:52 PM »
Technical, it's better to solve the cause then the consequence.

Ok, when you decide to teach us the secrets of avast4.ini file  :(

quinone

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2004, 05:24:23 PM »
Aight! Thank you! Did as you suggested, and increased the wait period to 60 seconds (and removed the line to supress the warning field).

Kind regards,
Inge