Author Topic: Tweak: your FF or Flock browser faster by heaps!  (Read 45570 times)

FastGame

Re: Tweak: your FF or Flock browser faster by heaps!
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2007, 09:13:55 PM »
Hi FastGame,

It would not hurt you if you had all three there. But SelectableElementsTable.js is making the difference.
And Bob3160, thank you for confirming, what was obvious to me before I shared it with others.

polonus
Thanks polonus

Just wanted to know if things will break without all three files. If I only have SelectableElementsTable.js in the folder I notice a speed increase. If I have all the files in the folder then I don't think I notice much difference.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2007, 09:43:33 PM »
Hi FastGame,

Why the small piece of code a.k.a. GetElementsByClassname. It was brought into Mozilla browsers quite recently, and helps you especially for those web developer's creations with IE7 in mind, because that is the way that type browser handles it, where FF or Flock used GetElementsById mainly. I started to get interested in the workings of the Flock browser code and web browser security, after becoming one of the earlier adopters of the Flock browser. Like to analyze what comes along on the Burning Edge, new developments for FF 3.0 that are in the pipeline, and sometimes I come up with some personal contributions, but they are not always that successful as this one. It took me by surprise actually, so that was why I shared it with my friends here. I learned so much being active on this forum, you would not believe,

greets,

Damian aka polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

FastGame

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2007, 10:49:02 PM »
Ok polonus I put all 3 files in folder, it truly does seem to work rather well. I'm on dialup so of coarse the images won't load faster but everything else is fast and I like fast.....I'm redlining  ;D

I'm off to tell the world and help make you more famous  8)

Thanks !
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 10:51:02 PM by FastGame »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2007, 11:35:33 PM »
Hi FastGame,

If you interested in the FF Linux version:
http://www.seehowitruns.org/pages/viewdetails.php?choice=497

There you can see what it supports, and what is it's hierarchy outlay.
getElementById property
Object    document
Description    Method enabling any page element to be referenced by its 'id' attribute value
Example code    document.getElementById("message").style.color="red";
Compatibility    W3C-friendly browsers

The code is now posted at the Mozilla forum as well:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=2938671#2938671
polonus
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 01:53:18 AM by polonus »

galooma

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2007, 02:07:10 AM »
Thanks for sharing this Polonus  ;) im impressed with  how it works and congratulate you for your efforts.
 will this need to be reloaded when FF gets updated ?
 Also how does running ABP and scipt block affect it , as I run both at the moment im wondering if a different configuration might work better ?

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2007, 02:16:41 AM »
Hi Clouseau,

As I have posted the code also in a Mozilla forum, I hope that it will be adopted soon as people find it helpful. Else you have to put it there again after a new version has installed.
Well do not worry, because I have tested it out with ABP + various lists, and with NoScript enabled, Stealther on (accepting no cookies), Locationbar 2 (without flavicon). So all the visors were down, as I spotted the workings of this particular script, and then I hurried to publish it. From my experiences with analyzing Mem leaks, and how GetElementsByTagName and GetElementsById and GetElementsByClassName could slow the page load, I creatively sought the solution we have at hand here, and it was a lucky strike as many now attest.
So help me spread this code where you are, and greet the Black Swans from me...

your co-malware fighting friend,

polonus

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2007, 02:19:38 AM »
I don't think thee would be a problem on an update as I believe the contents of the component folder would remain or would be overwritten. Since these are non standard they should remain, it would only be a problem if you uninstalled, rebooted and then reinstalled, so it would be worth keeping a copy in your backup folder, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2007, 02:29:30 AM »
Hi Clousseau and DavidR,

They noticed it already: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=560802
But keep a back-up copy of the code.
I have brought it in as a solution to a bug, that was advised to get it into the official browser code, if they approve of it: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14869#c13

polonus
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 03:07:13 AM by polonus »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2007, 11:07:16 AM »
Hi polonus, just happened to spot this now, browsing the forum, so downloaded it, closed Firefox (2.0.0.4) re-opened, I reckon the pages are loading in less than half the usual time. Especially noticeable with large webpages. Thanks a heap!
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2007, 03:49:41 PM »
I don't have GetElementsById in my components folder or any other folder for that matter ?
Me neither...
I'm testing the speed but it's being inconclusive... maybe I'm just familiarized with the *new* one...

OK so now I have SelectableElementsTable.js
Me too.

getElementsByClassName.js
Don't have this one ???

I put all 3 files in folder
Where did you get them? Should I put them, polonus, or let as I'm now, with only one?
The best things in life are free.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2007, 03:59:27 PM »
Hello Tech,

The GetElementsById or GetElementsByTagName or GetElementsByClassName do not alter pageload, the latter just renders pages better that were created with other browsers in mind The considerable gain  only come upon installing SelectableElementsTable.js in the components folder of the Firefox or Flock browser.
Also on Mozilla general Firefox forum I got affirmations of speed gains. A lot of people for which this aspect is important like in Australia and New-Zealand because of their broadband infrastructure problems are very enthusiastic. I went and posted it as a new bug together with the solution, and now I wait for the reaction of the Firefox developers, it was posted as bug 385641.

polonus
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 04:11:38 PM by polonus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2007, 04:39:21 PM »
I have to admit to some confusion here, primarily because I'm not seeing any major (noticeable) differences in page loading (on dial-up). Perhaps the dial-up is a bottleneck to improved page loading or if it is the combination of some layout .js killing any page load improvements of the SelectableElementsTable.js  ?

Quote from: polonus
From my experiences with analyzing Mem leaks, and how GetElementsByTagName and GetElementsById and GetElementsByClassName could slow the page load, I creatively sought the solution we have at hand here, and it was a lucky strike as many now attest.

I don't know if it is advisable to have all 3 or 4 .js files, GetElementsById or GetElementsByTagName (I don't have this one) or GetElementsByClassName and SelectableElementsTable.js in the component folder because of what you said about page slowing ?

So I'm going to remove the GetElementsById.js, GetElementsByClassName.js leaving only the SelectableElementsTable.js file and see if there is any difference.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2007, 05:45:44 PM »
Hi DavidR,

I do not know how it does with/through the old "copper" there at your place, but I get a lot of encouraging reports from "down under". The bug has now officially been taken, and it is now for the developers at Firefox to work further on it, or declare it fixed. Also various people at madamemmastent and the general firefox Mozilla forum, including the admin there were very supportive, and also affirmations from the States of speed gains...

polonus

FastGame

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2007, 05:47:06 PM »
I agree DavidR, I think its actually slower with all three files. But this type of thing is hard to test with any consistency....

I'm on dialup and with just "SelectableElementsTable.js " installed and I can honestly say that some sites I visit daily are noticeably faster. On sites you don't visit often or for first time there's no way of telling if its fast or not......

Any way you look at it dialup suks  :(

IMO there's still something unclear, in all threads there's mention of the other two files (one or the other). Is SelectableElementsTable.js a standalone, a bug fix for one of the other files ?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 06:10:15 PM by FastGame »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2007, 06:27:42 PM »
Hi FastGame,

The thing that is reported to work is SelectableTableElements.js. But there was an American on Mozilla forum that put the javascript file on his desktop, and he could not understand why it did not work that way, his FF was not faster.

polonus