Author Topic: Virus Chest - What to do with...  (Read 14976 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Virus Chest - What to do with...
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2007, 07:51:38 PM »
Does this mean nothing is being scanned? What is wrong?
Did you change the 'Exclusion' lists of avast? If not, you must post the full path (without ...) of the 'excluded' files for us to judge.

In addition to the above I should tell you there are two files sitting in the Virus Chest as a result of the first scan. Maybe this has something to do with the problem? The menu page says "292169/4812 Number of scanned files/folders"
Again, which are the file name and path, and the virus name of these infected files.
The best things in life are free.

sweets

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2007, 09:48:19 PM »
I will have to answer these questions next week when i'm in front of that machine again. If you could please be patient with me. But there was no expanded reason why any particular file was not scanned. When I clicked on one or any file it just read "unable to scan" but all files in the "results of the last scan" box were "unable to scan". Please tell me how to change the exclusion list for next week when I'm in front of the machine with Avast again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2007, 11:15:28 PM »
I will have to answer these questions next week when i'm in front of that machine again. If you could please be patient with me.
Sure we'll be here  :)

But there was no expanded reason why any particular file was not scanned. When I clicked on one or any file it just read "unable to scan" but all files in the "results of the last scan" box were "unable to scan".
You must have a 'small' column width and you're not seeing the reason that should be there. Unable to scan due to program settings, for instance.

Please tell me how to change the exclusion list for next week when I'm in front of the machine with Avast again.
You need to use the Exclusion lists:

For the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

For the other providers (on-demand scanning such as the screen-saver or the Simple User Interface):
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...

You can use wildcards like * and ?.
But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.

sweets

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2007, 12:17:43 AM »
Don't understand! If it takes 40 minutes to do a thorough scan & still read unable to scan on all files then what's taking 40 minutes?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2007, 12:53:42 AM »
Don't understand! If it takes 40 minutes to do a thorough scan & still read unable to scan on all files then what's taking 40 minutes?
39 minutes is to scan the files that need/can be scanned.
1 minute is to check that some files can't be scanned  8)

There is nothing to do unscannable files with the duration of the scanning.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2007, 12:57:18 AM »
The time taken has nothing to do with files being able to be scanned or not.

A file that is password protected won't be scanned if the scan takes 1 minute or on hour or if the scan if quick or thorough.

avast does, by default indicate why a file can't be scanned at the end of the scan, see image 1 default window size, see image 2 window expanded and column width expanded to see reason why the file can't be scanned..
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sweets

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2007, 01:56:31 AM »
ALL FILES on the "results of the last scan" box say "unable to scan". If all files were unable to scan then what's taking 40 minutes? And when I click on one line for an expnded reason there's nothing more there.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2007, 02:38:52 AM »
I would say ignore that option I never look at it as any file truly 'unable to be scanned' will be listed automatically after the scan as in my images.

This is typical of the entries you are talking about, but they aren't saying 'unable to be scanned' which we are taking as something entirely different, hence our responses.
D:\Data\persdict.dat [E] File was skipped because of scanner settings. (42016)

The home version doesn't really have and saved data for scans and I believe you have enabled the skipped files in the report setup and I believe that is unchecked by default.

Though I have no idea why these would be listed as being 'skipped because of scanner settings. (42016)'

Are you doing a Local Disks scan or Folder Selection ?
I suspect you are using Folder Selections because if you tick selective folders then every other folder unchecked would be skipped as a result of your selections in the scanner settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2007, 02:54:39 AM »
If all files were unable to scan then what's taking 40 minutes?
Which is "all files" here? "All" but "all" files in your computer? I can't believe... maybe "some" files aren't being scanned...

And when I click on one line for an expnded reason there's nothing more there.
Can you post a screenshot?
To know how to post a screenshot, see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=8982.0
You can use Gadwin PrintScreen to get a screenshot (http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/) or the free version of WinSnap 1.1.10 (http://www.filehippo.com/download_winsnap/?2173).

sweets

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2007, 02:57:01 AM »
Sorry I can't do any of the things mentioned until I am in front of that computer again next week. But I did check all folders to be scanned including archive.

sweets

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2007, 07:09:47 PM »
I decided that this a-v program is too much trouble to continue with. I had an old copy of AVG free which I installed & had none of the problems after runninng scans that I had above with Avast. I welcome any comments.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2007, 07:37:02 PM »
I can't believe that you would consider giving up at this point after all the help you have received, we are trying to help you get the best out of avast. Yes it is different to what you may have used in the past and probably a steep learning curve, to just give up now seems a waste to me.

There is absolutely no way you would get me going back to AVG after over three years with avast, the most configurable and flexible AV I have ever used and better than AVG to boot, don;t take my word for it many reviews confirm this, http://www.av-comparatives.org/, etc.

However, it is your system and your choice, I just hope you never need help with it as support for the free version is virtually non-existent, good luck.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2007, 08:14:38 PM »
I welcome any comments.
If you gave up... why comment?
On-demand scanning of AVG is faster than with avast.
But AVG is very poor in tons of other features. I'm an ex-AVG user. Won't get back...

sweets

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2007, 04:12:33 PM »
I will consider your comments & really do appreciate your help, please don't be angry with me. It's just because I've used AVG before with no problems, their support forum is actually quite good & I did remove some nasty pests with their aid.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2007, 12:16:36 AM »
Please don't be angry with me.
I'm not angry... you're losing avast 8)

AVG ... their support forum is actually quite good
It must have changed a lot... The forum I've known was a joke, slow, non-responsive... dead...