Author Topic: Virus Chest - What to do with...  (Read 14973 times)

sweets

Re: Virus Chest - What to do with...
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2007, 12:25:27 AM »
AVG's user support forum is very helpful despite being very demanding as to stating exactly what settings you have & exactly what type of errors noted, but they've helped me through several times with viruses detected, I-Stration in particular.
I was going to install them originally however their download would get corrupted several times when downloaded on this slow dialup pc. Avast's download went smoothly but quite frankly after the first scan I was lost. I hope to be able to manage it better on another computer in the future. Can you tell me exactly why you feel Avast's free version is better than AVG's?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2007, 12:44:35 AM »
I though I did in this post, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=29021.msg238870#msg238870. AVG doesn't have a boot-time scan function, there are some of the avast providers that AVG doesn't have an equivalent to. avast is far more configurable and flexible. But I won't try to change your mind, that decision is up to you, read the reviews, compare functions. AVG failed the last VB100, avast didn't.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2007, 12:51:51 AM »
Can you tell me exactly why you feel Avast's free version is better than AVG's?
Besides what David posted, I'll say the configurability, the number of providers, the skins, the update process are better on avast than AVG.
The best things in life are free.

sweets

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2007, 01:01:21 AM »
What exactly is "the number of providers" mean?
What does number of skins have to do with actual virus protection? Besides the boot-up scan, do you think the actual virus protection capabilities are superior?
I didn't care for the boot up scan & disabled it. How is confiurability & updating superior?
I am asking these questions not to be derogatory in any way but I really want to know. I hope you don't think I'm being anything but inquisitive.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2007, 01:27:00 AM »
What exactly is "the number of providers" mean?
IM, P2P, NetShield, WebShield, Internet Mail (Outlook plugin), Standard Shield, Script Blocker (Pro version) are providers of avast.

What does number of skins have to do with actual virus protection?
Nothing. It's an 'extra' feature.

Besides the boot-up scan, do you think the actual virus protection capabilities are superior?
Well, from times to times it is lower, most of the times, it's better than AVG.

I didn't care for the boot up scan & disabled it.
It's not to run every boot... only when needed.

How is confiurability
Click, for instance, 'Settings' in my signature and you'll find how flexible is avast.

updating superior?
AVG has only one free server to update. avast has 50 or more... So, you get your update and with AVG you wait, wait...
The best things in life are free.