Author Topic: High Disk Write Bytes while watching Twitch  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Mr. Consumer

High Disk Write Bytes while watching Twitch
« on: July 14, 2021, 05:59:01 PM »
Hi! So first of all, one of the thing I like about Avast/AVG is the streaming update feature. Some AV out there writes 200, 300, 400 and even 800 MB in some cases while updating signature every few hours. But Avast kinds of always download tiny updates which significantly reduces the disk write if my understanding is correct. My assumption is based on Process Hacker's "Disk write Bytes". Process Hacker Nightly 3.0 to be exact.
But I noticed while watching streaming service like Twitch, Avast's Disk Write Bytes value increases significantly along with I/O write bytes.
My question is, why is that? Why Avast is writting so much data on the disk in this scenario? Does this Disk Write Bytes value actually represents the amount of data that's being written on my disk? As you can see from the screenshot, the I/O Write Bytes is even higher which I think represents the combination of both read and write.
But I got even more confused when I checked disk activity while watching Twitch live stream in Process Hacker. All disk activity is related to Firefox cache. Nothing related to AVG can be found.
So, please explain and help me understand what is meaning of this disk write bytes value of Avast and why is this happening on Twitch (and also one or two other free live streaming sites).

Sorry for attaching AVG's screenshot but trust me I tested this on Avast also. Since both products are basically the same underneath, the result is the same. And, Firefox had much higher Disk Write Bytes compared to the AVG service but I mistakenly closed Firefox before taking the scrreenshot.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 06:46:11 PM by Mr. Avast »

Offline Mr. Consumer

Re: High Disk Write Bytes while watching Twitch
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 06:47:23 PM »
I attached images in a wrong way initially. Images are properly attached to the post now.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 07:06:17 PM »
They aren't actually attached to the post, but embedded in the post, so they are always full size in the post.

Using the Attachments and other options, allows it to be shown smaller and those who wish to view it can expand it.

See examples below.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Mr. Consumer

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 07:13:51 PM »
They aren't actually attached to the post, but embedded in the post, so they are always full size in the post.

Using the Attachments and other options, allows it to be shown smaller and those who wish to view it can expand it.

See examples below.
Hi! I actually did that at first but when I opened the post in "Incognito Mode" the images were not showing. Even the preview function were not showing it at the time of posting. So later I embedded like this. Maybe I did something wrong with the attachment function and couldn't figure that out.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 11:09:01 PM »

See examples below.
Hi! I actually did that at first but when I opened the post in "Incognito Mode" the images were not showing. Even the preview function were not showing it at the time of posting. So later I embedded like this. Maybe I did something wrong with the attachment function and couldn't figure that out.

Can you see my attachments from incognito mode.

I use Firefox and generally don't bother with incognito (Private Window) for general browsing and or site that I know, such as the forums ;)
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Mr. Consumer

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 11:18:04 PM »

See examples below.

I use Firefox and generally don't bother with incognito (Private Window) for general browsing and or site that I know, such as the forums ;)
I don't do that either but suddenly it came to my mind to check it out.
And good question, because I just checked again and I can't see your attached images in Chrome/Firefox's incognito/private mode either.
So either it's a bug on the forum or it's designed this way. You can check it out on your end.
BTW, let me know if you have any idea about the question I posed on my main post.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 11:48:49 PM »
The images are available if you're signed into your Avast forum account.
If you're not signed in, the attached files don't appear. The embedded files do.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 01:34:06 AM »
<snip quotes>

And good question, because I just checked again and I can't see your attached images in Chrome/Firefox's incognito/private mode either.
So either it's a bug on the forum or it's designed this way. You can check it out on your end.

BTW, let me know if you have any idea about the question I posed on my main post.

I really only responded to your comment about having attached the images.

Now you ask the question, I have read yore initial post and looked at the images.

One problem exists, this lies in the fact you mentioned AVG and the image also show AVG and this is the Avast Forum, whilst they are from the same company (Avast Software) and much of it will be the same there have been some differences in the UI, etc.

I don't know if there are any underlying differences aside from the process names.  So I really wouldn't know where to begin.

Offline Mr. Consumer

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 10:16:29 AM »

Now you ask the question, I have read yore initial post and looked at the images.

One problem exists, this lies in the fact you mentioned AVG and the image also show AVG and this is the Avast Forum, whilst they are from the same company (Avast Software) and much of it will be the same there have been some differences in the UI, etc.

I don't know if there are any underlying differences aside from the process names.  So I really wouldn't know where to begin.
Ok thanks. I'll install Avast and share the images here if I can reproduce.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2021, 02:23:16 PM »

Before installing Avast, make sure you do a total removal of AVG.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Mr. Consumer

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 03:08:19 PM »

Before installing Avast, make sure you do a total removal of AVG.
Yes I did that. Thanks. I'm attaching a new image now. Check it and let me know if you know why Avast does this.

Offline Mr. Consumer

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2021, 03:12:37 PM »
<snip quotes>

Here's a GIF file. Check the ever increasing Disk write value of Avast. That's just over 30 seconds. If I watch for example 4 GB of live streming content on Twitch then Avast also kinds of write 4 GB data on the disk according to Process Manager. You can also check this by yourself on Twitch. You don't need to create an account just visit the site and load any stream and check using Process Hacker or Process Explorer or any app you prefer.

GIF link:
https://imgur.com/GfdgU8l

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2021, 03:16:47 PM »
Please attach your screenshot(s), some of us don't follow external links. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Mr. Consumer

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2021, 03:26:15 PM »
Please attach your screenshot(s), some of us don't follow external links. ;)
It's a 44 MB gif file. So the forum doesn't allow me to attach such large file. It's an imgur link which is a safe site. You may open it in Private Mode.

Offline Mr. Consumer

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2021, 03:07:42 PM »
So nobody knows why Avast does this? Any Avast developers who may have seen the post are not willing to explain it either! Really weird. I just want to know why this happens on streaming sites. No other AV in my testing does this.
I don't feel comfortable using Avast/AVG anymore due to this high data writes.