Author Topic: How do I disconnect while I don't want to be online?  (Read 2798 times)

bluegypsy

How do I disconnect while I don't want to be online?
« on: June 25, 2007, 08:09:39 PM »
Hi,
  I used NAV forever, but my son told me about Avast, and I switched last night.  I need to know how I can disconnect, or 'block traffic', like in NAV, since we have cable, and I don't like to keep the system online 24/7.  How do I do this in Avast Home 7?  Thanks, Janice

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How do I disconnect while I don't want to be online?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 08:49:14 PM »
avast is an anti-virus it isn't a firewall so it shouldn't need to block traffic (not too sure exactly what you mean but this) or disconnect that is a firewall task. If you are using NIS the internet security package that has a firewall.

So exactly what Norton package are you using ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bluegypsy

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 09:41:32 PM »
Hi David,
   I uninstalled NIS and put in Avast Home, and Zone Alarm, as my firewall.  I tried using the network utility dialog box to connect and disconnect when I want, but like you said, it must be the firewall I need to adjust...I'll try something now...thanks, Janice

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 10:16:46 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

The network shield is mainly looking at common routes of entry a number of worms, windows exploits, etc. and not a full firewall as such. With a firewall installed if it is doing its job you shouldn't hear anything from network shield, but it is a good back-up which will be using very little in the way of resources.

If I remember ZA from long ago it has a huge icon, to stop all traffic.

Welcome to the forums.

Stick around and browse the forums, especially the sticky topics at the top of each of the forums, not to mention the avast help file. They provide a wealth of information to help you get the best from avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 10:42:16 PM »
Right click the Zone Alarm icon in the tray and select LOCK

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 05:01:45 AM »
Right click the Zone Alarm icon in the tray and select LOCK
Almost any firewall has this feature.
For Comodo, right click the icon on system tray > Adjust Security Level > Block all.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 05:27:45 AM »
since we have cable, and I don't like to keep the system online 24/7.

If you have a Motorola 'Surfboard' cable modem, they have a 'panic-button' on the top which maintains your connection but stops all traffic.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25