Author Topic: Avast VPN Stopped Working in Avast Secure Browser  (Read 3955 times)

Offline Neil Tokar

Avast VPN Stopped Working in Avast Secure Browser
« on: July 15, 2021, 10:37:42 PM »
All of a sudden today, Avast Secure Browser is not working with Avast VPN. I (1) can't turn on or off my VPN; (2) can't change my VPN location; and (3)  can't auto-connect.

Perhaps this is a bug related to this new thing in my browser called Avast Secure Browser PRO?

Am I supposed to upgrade to Avast Secure Browser PRO? But I am afraid to do so, since I have already paid for the VPN. Or am I being forced to pay for the upgrade if I want to keep using Avast VPN with Avast Secure Browser?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 10:45:41 PM by Neil Tokar »

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Avast VPN Stopped Working in Avast Secure Browser
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 09:48:00 AM »
Hi,

Avast Secure Browser Pro (with built-in VPN) is a separate application from Avast Secureline VPN. Since you have Avast SecureLine VPN, you do not need to purchase Avast Secure Browser Pro.
Could you please clarify how you access Avast SecureLine VPN (via the standalone app or via the browser extension)? On which operating system do you experience this issue? Could you also clarify your statement "I (1) can't turn on or off my VPN" -  is it working at some point?

Offline Neil Tokar

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 03:18:44 PM »
I have used Avast Secure Browser for years with no problems. But, I have been watching it literally disintegrate over the last few weeks. Since early July 2021, it has been falling apart. I first noticed the problems when trying to use Bank Mode. The Bank Mode browser started and said that Avast Anti-Fingerprinting and Anti-Tracking are "dangerous" extensions and it removed them. I cannot update in Bank Mode. I get error code 3:0x80080005. I also get told by the browser in Bank Mode that "Bank Mode Failed to Load Properly."

Now more recently, July 15, 2021, I got new problems in Avast Browser (regular version, not bank mode). In secure://settings/vpn none of the options are available. This is what I meant by:  "I (1) can't turn on or off my VPN; (2) can't change my VPN location; and (3)  can't auto-connect." These menu options now are all ghosted out and can't be used.

I have uninstalled / reinstalled Avast Secure Browser a few times and none of the problems get fixed. I have Windows 10.

The other point I am trying to make is that Avast Secure Browser is sending contradictory messages about the VPN along the top of the browser (see attachment 2). The left icon reports "your connection is not encrypted and your location is visible to others" but the right icon looks normal (green color).

Offline Will465

• Avast team
  • Browser Product Manager
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 03:06:40 PM »
Hi Neil,

We have recently decided to treat SecureLine VPN and Avast SecureLine VPN as separate applications and subscriptions so you can no longer control SecureLine VPN from within Avast Secure Browser.

You can continue to use your Avast SecureLine VPN from the desktop application as before, this will encrypt all the traffic on your computer so your encryption inside Avast Secure Browser will remain encrypted.

We appreciate this feedback as I can see how this might be confusing for those customers who are already using Avast SecureLine so we will discuss as a team how best to communicate.

Regarding your issues with Bank Mode and our Anti-Fingerprinting/Anti-Tracking extensions, would you be able to share any screenshots you have (as they might have sensitive data) to our support team here https://support.avast.com/en-us/contact/. We haven't been made aware of this issue before.