Author Topic: Invasion of Privacy  (Read 2152 times)

Offline brendonfreeman96

Invasion of Privacy
« on: July 18, 2021, 06:04:32 PM »
A couple nights ago while streaming avast gave me a pop up to let me know that unless I bought the vpn my IP address was visible, and for some reason displayed the address on screen.  So now everyone watching has my ip address.  Needless to say I'm deleting avast, and every friend and family member I have will be warned about your disgusting business practice.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Invasion of Privacy
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 06:11:04 PM »
What do you think these people will do with your IP address...I'm sure your guests already know your location ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 06:25:40 PM »
@  brendonfreeman96

They aren't saying "unless I bought the vpn my IP address was visible."

It is saying that your IP Address is visible and the only way to prevent that is by using a VPN, which one you choose is entirely up to you.  I know my IP address is visible, yet I haven't considered using a VPN, Avast's or otherwise.

I have been using avast free for over 17 years and without a VPN (before they even became known).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline brendonfreeman96

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 11:19:10 PM »
Don't give me that, people like you are part of the problem.  What do I think a possible cyber criminal could do with my ip address? Get my location and intrude on my personal life.  Scan the open ports in my network. Hit me with a ddos.  Frame me for illegal activity.  Theres absolutely no reason for my virus protection to show my ip address on screen with a pop up ad.  Its wrong and laughable when they claim they "value your security".  The fact that the first two people to respond act like its no big deal is an actual joke, you disgraces lol

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 12:22:41 AM »
Don't give me that, people like you are part of the problem.  What do I think a possible cyber criminal could do with my ip address? Get my location and intrude on my personal life.  Scan the open ports in my network. Hit me with a ddos.  Frame me for illegal activity.  Theres absolutely no reason for my virus protection to show my ip address on screen with a pop up ad.  Its wrong and laughable when they claim they "value your security".  The fact that the first two people to respond act like its no big deal is an actual joke, you disgraces lol
Your public IP address is known by many including your ISP, etc.
A simple search for 'what's my IP address' will show it to you.
A VPN can hide your IP making it harder for folks to track you.
Now you also count me as one of those people that are part pf the problem. :)
Have a nice day.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 01:11:46 AM »
Don't give me that, people like you are part of the problem. 

What do I think a possible cyber criminal could do with my ip address? Get my location and intrude on my personal life. 

Well every website that you visit knows your IP address (unless you use a VPN), how otherwise would they deliver the web pages you are visiting. 

So what do you think that they could do with your IP address.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Mr. Consumer

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 09:19:24 PM »
Whether his IP address can be used in a wrong way or not, no one feels comfortable broadcasting their IP address to the world. The OP has every right to be furious. Avast shouldn't have shown a popup with his IP address visible in it while he was streaming. So please don't come up with any lame excuses.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 12:00:17 AM »
Whether his IP address can be used in a wrong way or not, no one feels comfortable broadcasting their IP address to the world.

The OP has every right to be furious. Avast shouldn't have shown a popup with his IP address visible in it while he was streaming. So please don't come up with any lame excuses.

Whether his IP address can be used in a wrong way or not, no one feels comfortable broadcasting their IP address to the world.

The OP has every right to be furious. Avast shouldn't have shown a popup with his IP address visible in it while he was streaming. So please don't come up with any lame excuses.

Who is broadcasting it to the world ?
The streaming service would certainly know his IP in order to deliver the stream.

As far as I'm aware the avast popup is local system only.

Offline Mr. Consumer

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 03:02:37 PM »

Who is broadcasting it to the world ?
The streaming service would certainly know his IP in order to deliver the stream.

As far as I'm aware the avast popup is local system only.
Looks like you don't know what streaming is or didn't read properly what the OP said. He was live streaming what he was doing on his PC and some viewers were wathcing him live. For example a gamer streaming the game he is playing. So it's not about the streaming service, it's the viewer who were watching him live saw his IP address. This is something you woldn't want to show to random public on the internet. Just visit Twitch to understand what the OP meant.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 03:12:32 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if anyone is checking the available settings. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0