Author Topic: avast Staff: avast!4 and XP SP 2  (Read 9443 times)

drahnier

avast Staff: avast!4 and XP SP 2
« on: February 24, 2004, 04:06:13 PM »
I don't want to break any NDA but would suggest avast! developers to get in contact with Microsoft staff in charge of XP SP2 as SP2 has some implications on AntiVirus software.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:avast Staff: avast!4 and XP SP 2
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 04:19:16 PM »
What do you mean, exactly? We're pretty in touch, and have the beta for quite a long time here already...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

drahnier

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 04:21:49 PM »
What do you mean, exactly? We're pretty in touch, and have the beta for quite a long time here already...

There's a new build out, 2082. It features the new Security Center and avast is not detected as a known AntiVirus program. However, it appears to work just fine.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 04:28:52 PM »
Could you post a screenshot of what you mean?

Thank you
Vlk

drahnier

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 04:38:06 PM »
Could you post a screenshot of what you mean?

Thank you
Vlk

Sorry, no. This would be a breach of NDA. Just install this build and you will immediately see what I mean.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 04:40:07 PM »
Oh, aha, the beta is still under NDA?
No problem, we'll manage.

Thanks
Vlk

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2004, 08:16:03 PM »
This is what you meant, right?
http://www.flexbeta.net/gsurface/sp2_2082/security_center.gif

We'll do something about it... 8)

drahnier

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 02:20:05 AM »
This is what you meant, right?
http://www.flexbeta.net/gsurface/sp2_2082/security_center.gif

We'll do something about it... 8)

Yes. And thanks for taking care.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004, 07:59:19 AM »
We're working with MS on this now... :)
More info during the next week.

Thanks again for pointing this out,
Vlk

drahnier

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2004, 04:16:39 PM »
We're working with MS on this now... :)
More info during the next week.

Thanks again for pointing this out,
Vlk

Have just installed XP SP2 RC1 and noticed that avast is still not recognized as a valid anti-virus program. - Hope this will change for SP2 Gold.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2004, 12:52:33 PM »
Btw, when is SP2 expected to be out ?

Cheers !
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 12:52:51 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2004, 02:44:43 PM »
June.

CoJo

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2004, 12:21:42 AM »
June.

this is from a newsletter...
. Windows XP-SP2 is now in Release Candidate-1 stage. It should be available from Microsoft sometime today (19 March 2004). A word of caution: If you see it available for download anywhere on the Web please remember: This is test software and may break some applications. If you're not comfortable with potential problems or applications which may not function correctly, then you should wait for the final public release due out this Summer.

Windows XP-SP2 makes many changes to way Windows, Internet Explorer, and Outlook Express work. There are far too many changes to list here, so we'll just cover some of the more obvious ones.

XP-SP2 changes XP in many ways, so much so it's almost like a new version of XP. The focus of XP-SP2 is your security. No longer will you be able to execute email attachments directly from email. You'll need to save the attachment to your hard drive. This will go a long way to stemming the recent tide of curious recipient clicking attachments in email and spreading worms and viruses all over the Internet. Additionally Windows XP-SP2 has an upgraded and more configurable Internet Firewall and on install it will, by default, have the firewall turned on and automatic Windows updates turned on. You can choose to turn off the automatic updates but only after clicking the box that says "remind me later". Windows XP-SP2 will have a new icon in the control panel called "Internet Security" which interacts with whatever 3rd party firewall software you have installed (i.e. ZoneAlarm, Outpost, Sygate, etc.) and whatever anti-virus software you have installed.

Windows XP-SP2 will allow you to control whatever BHO's you have installed as well as other programs which integrate with Internet Explorer. There are some good-intentioned BHO's out there, but many more malicious ones, like Hotbar and worse. You will also have the option of turning off any BHO's in Internet Explorer via Tools/Internet Options/Programs. Internet Explorer in XP-SP2 will come with a pop-up blocker which works great and also allows you to permit popups from certain sites where you might need them.

XP-SP2 will change the way Outlook Express handles scripting inside of emails. Many scripts will not function and this will change the way some scripted stationery works. In fact, as of this writing, no scripted stationery works. This is a result of the tightened security in XP-SP2 and we think it's a good thing. Also, some Web sites with complex scripting will not render correctly unless you over-ride Internet Explorer's warning that the content on the site may be a security breach.

In summary: Windows XP-SP2 adds the features above and many more. We like Windows XP-SP2 very much and think it will do a great deal to enhance everyone's security and privacy. We add one caveat to this: The above is based on Windows XP-SP2 "beta" or test version. Things could change a lot before it becomes available to the public. At this point only Microsoft knows. We've watched the changes in XP-SP2 from the early betas until now and we can tell you that the trend is in it becoming even tighter and more restrictive as far as security and privacy goes. We hope that Microsoft does not back down and keeps adding more security to it. In the long run it will make you safer and the Internet a nicer place to be.

sounds like it's going be something else!

cojo

drahnier

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2004, 06:36:34 PM »
thanks for making the new version xp sp2 aware.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2004, 06:49:30 PM »
So it works OK on your machine(s)?