Author Topic: Worrying pop up  (Read 6356 times)

J J

Worrying pop up
« on: June 28, 2007, 04:12:21 PM »
I keep getting the following pop up:

Network Shield: blocked "DCOM Exploit"- attack from ...................( dont' know if it is safe to put the end in).

As i was typing this the pop up came up about 4 times.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Worrying pop up
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 06:21:05 PM »
You are correct in not putting the end part in if it was a clickable link.

What is your firewall ?
The network shield should be very quiet with a competent firewall installed and running, it only monitors common exploit and worm routes of entry and you firewall should also be doing that.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

J J

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 06:44:40 PM »
I use comodo Firewall.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 07:23:27 PM »
I don't use comodo firewall so I can offer any help of personal experience but I believe there was something in the forums about its settings. So it would be worth checking that it is A. enabled and running on start-up, etc. as that should really get in on the act before the network shield.

However, there is nothing to worry about (other than the comodo firewall should really have caught that) as the attempt has been blocked. You can if you wish disable the display of these alerts in the Customize... section of the network shield, personally I would prefer to leave things as they are so you are aware of what it going on with your system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 03:04:47 PM »
I use comodo Firewall.
Did you change Comodo firewall settings?
And most important, is your Windows fully updated? Do you use XP SP2?
The best things in life are free.

Rick F

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 03:28:57 PM »
J J,

You could get this free program from Steve Gibson's site.  This small program will test your PC to see if it's vulnerable.  The link below also explains what DCOM is all about.

Microsoft's DCOM security patch leaves DCOM running...
http://www.grc.com/freeware/dcom.htm

It will also shut down any further occurrence.

J J

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 11:59:38 PM »
Well comodo doesn't run at start up. in fact it's the last program to initialize. how do i get it to run at start up and initialize first if possible?

Tech, i haven't changed any settings. My windows is fully updated and i do use XP service pack 2.

Rick F i'll have a look at your info and report back.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 12:17:57 AM »
I would be surprised if it weren't running at start-up, but as a service and not a run entry in msconfig, startup tab.

What does the comodo service say, Windows Start, Run, type services.msc and click OK. This will present the list of services, find the one for comodo, I would think it is Automatic and already should be started ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 01:11:40 AM »
Well comodo doesn't run at start up. in fact it's the last program to initialize. how do i get it to run at start up and initialize first if possible?
The low level driver is started before the icon on system tray.
You can use Startup Delayer to delay 'other' applications and make the way free for the antivirus and the firewall to load.

Tech, i haven't changed any settings. My windows is fully updated and i do use XP service pack 2.
Hmmm... very strange. This way we won't see DCOM exploit messages...

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 08:03:52 AM »
Re comodo and startup...I use Comodo Firewall, and was concerned that it was the last item to load. However, after asking at the forums, am reassured that the connection is actually blocked while the firewall module is loading.
The only time I've seen Avast block an exploit as you describe was when I had the firewall turned off.

Edit...If you right click on the firewall icon, then left click on "security level", what does it say? Should be "learning".
It's possible you've clicked "allow" in the past to a firewall alert that really should have been blocked, but how to fix that I'm not sure. When I did that I ended up uninstalling it, cleaning the remnants, and performing a full reinstall.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 08:08:48 AM by Tarq57 »
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 03:29:11 PM »
Re comodo and startup...I use Comodo Firewall, and was concerned that it was the last item to load. However, after asking at the forums, am reassured that the connection is actually blocked while the firewall module is loading.

That is interesting as it could effectively block avast.setup and may be responsible for some Red update errors as the connection (broadband) may be present and avast detects that there is a connection and attempt to check for updates.

So if comodo is a bit slow in getting loaded, avast.setup may trip over this block.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 12:24:22 AM »
That is interesting as it could effectively block avast.setup and may be responsible for some Red update errors as the connection (broadband) may be present and avast detects that there is a connection and attempt to check for updates.
So if comodo is a bit slow in getting loaded, avast.setup may trip over this block.
Another reason to change (or add) AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds value into the [InetWD] section of avast4.ini file 8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 12:34:38 AM »
I just mentioned it because when we ask the usual question, what is your firewall we now know a little more about comodo.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 12:54:54 AM »
I just mentioned it because when we ask the usual question, what is your firewall we now know a little more about comodo.
Almost any firewall do the same: block the connections before fully loaded. It's a boot/logon time protection... One could load faster than other, just this.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 12:52:48 PM »
Just for info, Comodo config options. Try ticking the checkbox indicated.
To get there, open program, click Security", "advanced attack detection and prevention", and click "configure".
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 12:54:26 PM by Tarq57 »
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.