Author Topic: mail relay and resident protection  (Read 6398 times)

kong

mail relay and resident protection
« on: May 05, 2003, 03:58:24 AM »
hi,
I've been trying out avast4 home edition for a couple of days now and don't see this addressed on the forum, sorry if it is.
My mailer is pegasus and when trying to send I've been getting an error about mail relay. I see that it is now being sent through 127.0.0.1 so I presume avast is doing a kind of proxy for this. I've solved this by turning off all protection for internet mail (don't really need it as I don't download untrusted attachments etc.) but I'm wondering if there is another solution.

A second question. Can I turn off resident protection alltogether and just use avast as a standard virus scannner; i.e. just run a thorough scan whenever I wish to. I have a good grasp of system security and potential threats and would just like to be able to give my machine a once over every now and again.

thanks for any repsonse,
David

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re:mail relay and resident protection
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2003, 02:59:04 PM »
My mailer is pegasus and when trying to send I've been getting an error about mail relay.

What is the error message ?
Also look in file C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\Avast4\Data\log\aswMaiSv.log for possible errors.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2003, 11:08:31 PM »
kong,

A second question. Can I turn off resident protection alltogether and just use avast as a standard virus scannner?

To do this, add the following line to the [AAVM] section of your <avast>\data\avast4.ini file:

DefaultResTask=

This will turn off the resident protection.
If the [AAVM] section is not present, add it to the end of the file, like this:

....<previous content>...
[AAVM]
DefaultResTask=

Hope this helps,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

kong

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2003, 03:06:09 AM »
What is the error message ?
Also look in file C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\Avast4\Data\log\aswMaiSv.log for possible errors.

hi,
This looks like the error message from the logfile;
      SMTP Closing connection due to PassThrough

For me its not really a problem as I don't need to protect my mail but I am interested as I may well be recommending this program to others.

regards,
David

kong

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2003, 03:11:27 AM »
To do this, add the following line to the [AAVM] section of your <avast>\data\avast4.ini file:

DefaultResTask=

excellent, thanks for that.

regards.
David

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2003, 10:29:35 AM »
     SMTP Closing connection due to PassThrough

It means that mail scanner cannot scan mail because resident protection is not running. To prevent this, insert the line
PassThrough=1
to file C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\Avast4\Data\Avast4.ini into section [MailScanner] and restart the process ashMaiSv.exe (or restart Windows). This allows your mail to pass through without scanning if resident protection is not running.

However if you wanted to scan your mail, you would have to let resident protection started and at least provider "Internet mail" running.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2003, 03:45:46 PM »
I have a good grasp of system security and potential threats...

avast! users believe in avast! running...  ;D
The best things in life are free.