Author Topic: why wifi inspector lilst unconnected device, while scanning?  (Read 1940 times)

Offline jraju

• Poster
Hi, once a new device gets connected , then it will get a auto internal ip by the router for the device.
When I scan, the results were shown to me including unconnected device.
I also do not know, why there is a provision to manually ok, the new devices connection while wifi inspector is scanning.
Is there anything in the setting to automatically find only the connected devices .
Unconnected device to me would not give any vullnerability .
Plese give me , how i could use wifi inspector to find the dhcp clients that are only connected at the time
My router also shows connecated dhcp client connection details, but that differs from what avast wifi inspector gives as, the router only shows connected devices.
Am I wrong in my presumption

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: why wifi inspector lilst unconnected device, while scanning?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 12:08:11 PM »
It rather depends on what scan you are doing Home or Public and how your WiFi router is set up.

I only have the Rescan home networks automatically option enabled and running a manual scan, shows just my WiFi router and my laptop that I'm using right now. No other devices and I have three, which If I picked one up (just did for my mobile) I'm sure I would see the WiFi icon (I did but it isn't listed) in scan results.

So for me it appears to be only active devices.

If however, I enable the other option to scan New devices then I see the Mobiles and Tablet that I have and when open would show the WiFi icon so technically they are connected as they would be able to send or receive WiFi.  Since I know this I don't have this option enabled.

Edit: You might want to monitor this topic https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=290897.0
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 12:17:17 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline jraju

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 08:54:01 AM »
Hi, the linked thread does not have the solution .
I would request the moderator or avast staff to give solution.
Wifi inspector scans and list all the devices previously connected but disconnected at present.
This confuses and moreover there are some unknown devices shown.
How do I find the device name
When I input some mac addresses, it is getting 0 results in websites.
Please have the wifi inspector only list the existing connected devices so that one could watch it if it belongs to his network or some other spying on

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 10:10:42 AM »
I said to monitor it, not that it provides a solution.

You could also do as r@vast (avast Team member) asks to submit a support file according to the instructions in Reply #6 of that topic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline jraju

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 12:45:53 PM »
Hi, I enclose two pictures of
router active dhcp clients and avast wifi scan
avast lilst 6 as not connected device.
router just list the active connections.
see the differences.
i request the wifi inspector to show only connected devices correctly instead of listing previously connected but now not connected devices to know the active connections.
I presume, that avast showing less connected devices where as router shows the actually connected devices

Offline jraju

• Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 02:55:06 PM »
Hi, why wifi inspector was designed to include the non connected devices.
If it only captures the connected devices, then there would be easy watching of new connections not connected to be shown.
The option of capturing new devices is ok, but why it list disconnected devices, or once connected and never would connect devices
thanks