Author Topic: Happy iPhone Launch Day....  (Read 29679 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Happy iPhone Launch Day....
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2007, 12:21:53 AM »
There have been numerous on-line petitions on the downing street (government) web site, all pretty much ignored or the usual comment, we can't get involved in commercial pricing.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2007, 05:11:19 AM »
 As with the first iPod nano all full time apple employees will get the $599 iPhone once the supply is adequate (sometime end of july)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2007, 09:27:18 AM »
iPhone madness: This hot phone now sold through malware

This morning, Sunbelt researchers discovered a new custom Trojan that attempts to steal money by selling a fake iPhone. This Trojan looks custom-built and has very poor coverage by AV vendors (report here).

http://sunbeltblog.blogspot.com/2007/06/iphone-madness-this-hot-phone-now-sold.html
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

drhayden1

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2007, 09:45:06 AM »
thanks for the info FWF ;)
and you can forget getting your iPhone.
why would i pay $600 US dollars for a phone anyways-the ones i have work fine :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 09:50:35 AM by drhayden1 »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2007, 10:15:16 AM »
why would i pay $600 US dollars for a phone anyways

I certainly wouldn't pay $600 for something which I can never find!

I'll wait as usual until they cost £60 on pay-as-you-go.

drhayden1

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2007, 09:08:24 PM »
Apple's iPhone Dissected http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3026
wasted $600.00 ::) ;D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 09:30:35 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2007, 09:31:50 PM »
why would i pay $600 US dollars for a phone anyways

I certainly wouldn't pay $600 for something which I can never find!

I'll wait as usual until they cost £60 on pay-as-you-go.

Interesting, my last phone cost me £10, it came with £1 credit, not much I know, but it also had free delivery by courier. So it was virtually free and is a great little phone, when I looked for replacement batteries (not required yet) I couldn't find one that wasn't more expensive than the phone ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2007, 11:23:36 PM »
Interesting, my last phone cost me £10, it came with £1 credit, not much I know, but it also had free delivery by courier. So it was virtually free and is a great little phone, when I looked for replacement batteries (not required yet) I couldn't find one that wasn't more expensive than the phone ;D
I can buy a new Virgin Mobile phone for a fraction of the $ it cost for a new battery. ;D  In fact I bought a new VM phone that was free after rebate & got a personal CD player to boot. ;D  I haven't activated it as my current VM phone is working just fine.  Nothing like having a spare in case of loss or breakage.  Oh, I got my current VM phone free after rebates.  Sir Richard Branson is a Brit that gives us Yanks great deals. ;D

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 03:33:40 AM »
Sir Richard Branson is a Brit that gives us Yanks great deals.
DavidR & FWF,

I was only picking a little fun with you.  I hope you weren't offended.  I wouldn't like it if things cost more here than in other countries.  As far as I know Sir Richard Branson still owns Virgin Mobile.  There was some talk that he might sell VM.

At the US Army Post where my Mom worked, she made friends with the wife of a German Army Officer who was here in the USA for training.  Before he returned to Germany he bought a new Mercedes & had it shipped to Germany.  Purchasing it here & shipping back to Germany where it was made was cheaper than buying it in Germany!  I heard on radio programs that Mercedes were cheaper here, I know its true from her German friends.

At the dealer where I bought my Moto Guzzi a Swedish man also bought a Moto Guzzi & had it shipped to Sweden.  It is cheaper to buy an Italian motorcycle in the USA & ship it to Sweden.  I was there, I talked to them.

I saw in the news an Italian tourist visiting the USA bought his Nikon camera in Italy.  When he got here he discovered he could've bought it here at a substantial savings.

I know it won't take the pain away, but Brits aren't the only ones being ripped off.  It isn't our fault.  The USA can't set the prices in Europe. 

drhayden1

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2007, 11:10:48 AM »
;)

At the dealer where I bought my Moto Guzzi a Swedish man also bought a Moto Guzzi & had it shipped to Sweden.  It is cheaper to buy an Italian motorcycle in the USA & ship it to Sweden.
http://www.motoguzzi-us.com/ nice bikes-my brother used to have one ;)
i used to have a USA hog-a harley davidson-just sold it 8)
gas prices and my main joy-my saleen mustang-it was getting expensive and etc. ::)

« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 11:19:50 AM by drhayden1 »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2007, 05:02:12 PM »
More dissection antics. One of the comments raises a point that occured to me.

This little tutorial on how to open up an iphone will come very hand in about 6 months time, when the non-replaceble battery will die and people will have to replace it themselves using spare batteries from eBay a la iPod. You ll then realize how fundamentaly bad the iphone design is, but i guess since its pretty and shiny, you wont care much... (dumbasses)

Posted by: iphone sucks | Jul 2, 2007 3:42:17 AM

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/06/iphone-autopsy-.html

Exactly how long will the battery last on your $600 iPhone before you have to trash it?

drhayden1

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2007, 06:55:48 PM »
Exactly how long will the battery last on your $600 iPhone before you have to trash it?
don't know and don't care-didn't buy one and-what the battery replacements are let me guess $159.00 :o ;)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 06:59:16 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2007, 07:40:34 PM »
The battery is not replaceable, that's the point.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2007, 08:01:57 PM »
The battery life by all accounts isn't stunning so you are likely to be recharging regularly if you are using all the functionality itunes, etc. so I doubt you would get close to normal phone battery life. On my previous phones charged once, occasionally twice a week the Ni-Mh battery lasted under three years.

I wonder what the life would be for this with a Lithium-ion battery with a high recharge cycle, they are probably hoping it will be the life of the phone, but I would think it would be greater than 6 months. It is most certainly a design flaw not to be able to replace the battery.

drhayden1

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2007, 09:51:53 PM »
The battery is not replaceable, that's the point
see how much i know about the iPhone ::)
and don't care too-my phone works just fine ;)