Author Topic: My Firefox Extensions  (Read 57253 times)

drhayden1

Re: My Firefox Extensions
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2007, 11:03:07 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beast_of_burden
which one damian-i like number 3 the best
and sorry for off topic tech my friend 8)
damian pm me the reply ;)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 11:10:02 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2007, 11:16:01 PM »
It's becoming off topic... this is not what I've intended with the thread... It's becoming a bloat thread...
The best things in life are free.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2007, 11:36:37 PM »
Hi Tech,

Sorry, I should have posted that as a PM, but returning to the topic, drhayden can post his list of extensions here to make amends. Just to come back to something that keeps my mind occupied since you mentioned it, Tech, is that I have second thoughts now about that greasemonkey add-on. And it is your remarks that spooks through my head all the time. Now I say, Tech is a 100% right. It has interfered and torpedoed my AdblockPlus extension's workings. So I had it disabled. It is a good thing for you all to open up your error console once in a while to see what goes on under the hood. Browsers are very intricate tools. But again summa summarum extensions make the Mozilla browser shine, without my extensions I think I would not touch my Flock anymore, I would feel surfing in the nude.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

drhayden1

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2007, 11:50:43 PM »
drhayden can post his list of extensions here to make amends
...this post edited 8)
ok i just reinstalled firefox as i mentioned to tech in a pm ;)
next post besides the one below to davidr i will post my extensions ;D

« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 11:57:33 PM by drhayden1 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2007, 11:54:07 PM »
will someone explain what donkey work means being in the US i have NEVER heard that saying before ::)
and tech will report on my firefox extensions when i get a chance ok ;)
;D

In this context, manual work that doesn't require someone of Tech's ability to do it. It is an onerous task to do for all the extensions that Tech has. When someone only wants one or two, then they and I, would I'm sure be happy to do the donkey work on our own behalf.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

drhayden1

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2007, 11:55:51 PM »
ok thanks davidr for that explanation ;)
have a good one avast!world 8)

tls

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2007, 01:09:30 AM »
Smile, Tech!   ;D
Here is my list--rather minimal, and most are duplicates of those already posted:

Adblock Plus 0.7.5.1
Copy Plain Text 0.3.3
Distrust
Dr.Web anti-virus link checker 1.0.14
Fasterfox 2.0.0
Flashblock 1.5.3.1 *
Free Download Manager plugin 1.0
Locationbar2
NoScript 1.1.5
translator 1.0.4.3
United States English Dictionary 2.0.0.6

*Yes, I know NoScript can block flash, but on some "allowed" sites, primarily those I use for work, I still want to block flash images.  And Flashblock works on sites I have chosen to have NoScript allow.

(edit:  added Distrust, which was inadvertently omitted)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 04:51:40 PM by t l s »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2007, 01:16:18 AM »
Smile, Tech!   ;D
Here is my list--rather minimal, and most are duplicates of those already posted:
Thanks t l s... you've got my mind on this thread.

Copy Plain Text 0.3.3
I've tested in the past... but I use very little.

Flashblock 1.5.3.1 *
Read David's post... this is not needed if you have NoScript. You can uninstall it.
But indeed, I'll think twice if it works on sites that we have chosen to allow NoScript...

Very good one 8)

Locationbar2
This was suggested by Polonus... But my address bar become shaded and I can't see the address very well... seems obfuscating more than protecting... What do you think?

NoScript 1.1.5
Number 1 must have...

translator 1.0.4.3
I use little... I mostly browse in English...

United States English Dictionary 2.0.0.6
A great tool for the forums...

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2007, 01:29:57 AM »
Hi Tech,

Locationbar2 took the favicons out of the address bar, because there is a security issue (interaction with the chrome) that does not make it secure. The official suggestion is to leave the favicons only in the tabs, official CA proposal, so in FF 3.0 the favicons will go missing from the address bar.
I combine locationbar2 with Redirect Remover, and always have an eye on the current IP I visit at the bottom of the browser, so I see I write this posting for 70.84.157.228 that is served from an Apache server and then in the Netcraft Anti-phishing toolbar, the only one allowed into my browser I see this web forum is hosted by ThePlanet.comInternetServices RiskRating all green.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2007, 01:49:15 AM »
<snip>
*Yes, I know NoScript can block flash, but on some "allowed" sites, primarily those I use for work, I still want to block flash images.  And Flashblock works on sites I have chosen to have NoScript allow.

A year or so I contacted the guy who built the flash block to see why it didn't work and we spent a bit of time trying to find out why, in the end it came down to NoScript actually blocking the functionality to run flashblock. FlashBlock used Javascript and NoScript blocked Javascript. So it was chicken and egg at that time.

On 15/11/05, David <snip> wrote:

> So if NoScript is installed FlashBlock detects this and grayed out
> the Options even though JavaScript is enabled in firefox?

We don't actually specifically check for NoScript; we just check if
javascript is "working", and NoScript makes it look like javascript
is not as far as Flashblock is concerned. Please use the Flash blocker
built into NoScript instead.

Cheers.

Phil

Unless there have been changes I don't know if this is still the case, perhaps they now check for NoScript. I suppose you could visit a site with known Flash (that you haven't allowed in NoScript) and see if the FlashBlock option is greyed out.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tls

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2007, 04:07:01 AM »
Smile, Tech!   ;D
Thanks t l s... you've got my mind on this thread.
Good!  Thank you for the links I copied.  ;)

Flashblock 1.5.3.1 *
Read David's post... this is not needed if you have NoScript. You can uninstall it.
But indeed, I'll think twice if it works on sites that we have chosen to allow NoScript...
It does.  On sites you allow, the Flashblock option is available.  On sites not allowed, the Flashblock option does not appear--same as if Flashblock is not installed.  I have been using this combination more than a year with no problems.

Very good one 8)
It makes dial-up almost bearable. ;D

Locationbar2
This was suggested by Polonus... But my address bar become shaded and I can't see the address very well... seems obfuscating more than protecting... What do you think?
If you move your mouse over the address bar, the entire address appears clearly.

NoScript 1.1.5
Number 1 must have...
I am completely convinced.

translator 1.0.4.3
I use little... I mostly browse in English...
English is my only spoken/written language (American Sign Language is my second language), but I sometimes need information not readily available in English.  I find this extension more convenient than other translators.

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2007, 11:00:37 AM »
All Addons with the exception of Kolobok Smiles Orbit Downloader and XPL Linkscanner can be found here https://addons.mozilla.org

Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

drhayden1

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2007, 02:22:48 PM »

these are mine-with the adblock plus subscription list damian posted a while back...
http://adblockplus.org/en/subscriptions subscribed to all of them except for the foreign ones ??? ::)
and the only theme is use on firefox and also thunderbird is https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/72

one question-i use thunderbird for my pop3 mail and i noticed on the extensions it has adblock plus(for what)it's not a browser-then why ???
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/1865

« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 02:35:22 PM by drhayden1 »

Sesame

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2007, 03:18:09 PM »
Almost everything on my FF is already mentioned.  Except:

SearchWith
HostIP.info Geolocaztion Plugin
FoxClocks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2007, 03:38:41 PM »
I have been using this combination more than a year with no problems.
I'll return it back and test...

If you move your mouse over the address bar, the entire address appears clearly.
I know... but I don't think it really 'automatic' protects nothing... you must pay attention on the address. It's impossible to work or surf being 'worried' with that...

Always have an eye on the current IP I visit at the bottom of the browser
Too much for me... paranoid... I won't be able to do so as I've written before.