Author Topic: My Firefox Extensions  (Read 57255 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: My Firefox Extensions
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2007, 03:44:47 PM »
one question-i use thunderbird for my pop3 mail and i noticed on the extensions it has adblock plus(for what)it's not a browser-then why ???
Because HTML emails work the same as a webpage (images, etc.) and elements could be blocked, filtered and so on.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2007, 03:52:59 PM »
@ drhayden1
The reason I don't use the IE View extension is it launches IE with full rights (not so much of a problem if you have Vista and IE7, I don't) and I would prefer to launch IE6 under dropmyrights.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

drhayden1

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2007, 03:53:04 PM »
will try-but can't find any subscription list for the thunderbird version of adblock plus ???
(not so much of a problem if you have Vista and IE7,

do davidr on my quad desktop but not on my laptop using here now(its has xphome 2)
will take your advise-thanks ;D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 03:58:31 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2007, 04:03:07 PM »
1.       AdblockPlusElementHidingHelper
3.       AddNEditCookies
7.       ConfigurationMania
11.       Distrust
32.       SafeCache
33.       SafeHistory
34.       SearchKeys
47.       VirusTotal
Thanks Polonus. I'm giving a try on these ones...

drhayden1

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2007, 04:24:24 PM »
will try-but can't find any subscription list for the thunderbird version of adblock plus
when i installed adblock plus on tbird a popup appeared and ask me what to subscibe too ::) ???

tls

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2007, 05:15:08 PM »
If you move your mouse over the address bar, the entire address appears clearly.
I know... but I don't think it really 'automatic' protects nothing... you must pay attention on the address. It's impossible to work or surf being 'worried' with that...

Very true, Tech.  But, if I am not wearing my glasses, the address is difficult for me to see clearly anyway.  Having part of the address shaded then makes the un-shaded part easier to see.  So, for me, it is actually less obfuscating that way then.  I am undecided, but considering the security issue Polonus mentioned ( Reply #23), Locationbar2 will stay until I make up my mind.  I can't say I dislike it.     

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2007, 05:39:47 PM »
About Polonus ones, after testing, I give up on:

1. AdblockPlusElementHidingHelper
3. AddNEditCookies
7. ConfigurationMania

Keep these ones for further testing:
11. Distrust
32. SafeCache
33. SafeHistory
34. SearchKeys
47. VirusTotal

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2007, 06:11:26 PM »
Hi Tech,

I have not decided which one of the others I will adopt. There are a few TedNelly has I will try out. I'll inform you on what I choose. Good to discuss these items here, better is to know what is your privacy item or security angle why you took a specific add-on/extension on board.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2007, 06:27:40 PM »
I'm trying that safecache extension and I'm not sure it is suitable for those on dial-up. I rely on my cache to improve speed on repeat visits or common images, etc. in the likes of forums. Because of the way safecache works (or at least my interpretation), it creates a cache linked to the originating page, so any common images, avatars, buttons, etc. would have to downloaded again.

So at the moment I'm experiencing some large slow downs, admittedly I cleared my cache to ensure that there would be no benefit from the old cache. So I'm seeing some realy slow page loads with the throbber doing its thing, mostly in the avast forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2007, 06:46:37 PM »
Hi forum friends,

Cannot see why you all do not like the ABP extension. Do not like the Yahoo and Google ads, subscribe to the list on the link mentioned below (one click is sufficient to subscribe and it the rest follows automatically). All you like to cling to can be undone, and on certain pages you can disable ABP (I would not, but that is my choice). OK the list to be without the sponsored ads from Google and Yahoo can be found here: http://www.keyvan.net/2006/11/remove-ads/
Well, OK,  the Configuration Mania extension is for browser g33ks, and some knowledge should be there to know how to configure it to your likings.
But all the things you have to consider are mentioned on the page of the developer's. But there are several ways to skin a cat, so there are several extensions to do what you also can do with the configuration of the browser.

polonus

drhayden1

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2007, 07:09:45 PM »
Cannot see why you all do not like the ABP extension
have on both my firefox and thunderbird so i'm one that does and thanks damian for the info again as always :)
If you’re already running AdBlock Plus, you can subscribe to my Google and Yahoo ad remover filter set, I’ll be adding to it soon.
where or i need glasses ??? 8)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 07:19:45 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2007, 08:01:57 PM »
Where, well here: abp://subscribe/?location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.keyvan.net%2Ffiles%2Fad_blocking%2Fgoogle_yahoo_ad_remover.txt&title=Google%2FYahoo%20Ad%20Blocking

That's it folks, providing you have ABP installed.

pol

drhayden1

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2007, 08:22:34 PM »
edited...thanks for the pm damian-i understand how to do the above now ::) ;D

;D one of your cats escaped!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 08:58:34 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2007, 11:28:18 PM »
Hi Dan,

Why don't you add the list of dr.evil to ABP sunscription?
abp://subscribe/?location=http%3A%2F%2Fmaltekraus.de%2FFirefox%2Fadblock_site-specific-elemhiding.txt&title=Filter%20von%20Dr.Evil

Click and done,

polonus

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2007, 11:39:11 PM »
I'm trying that safecache extension and I'm not sure it is suitable for those on dial-up. I rely on my cache to improve speed on repeat visits or common images, etc. in the likes of forums. Because of the way safecache works (or at least my interpretation), it creates a cache linked to the originating page, so any common images, avatars, buttons, etc. would have to downloaded again.
Polonus, can you confirm this? I don't want to download all over again...

Cannot see why you all do not like the ABP extension. Do not like the Yahoo and Google ads, subscribe to the list on the link mentioned below (one click is sufficient to subscribe and it the rest follows automatically).
I use AdBlock Plus. But Google ads can be 'blocked' by other specific extensions like CustomizeGoogle 8)

Well, OK,  the Configuration Mania extension is for browser g33ks, and some knowledge should be there to know how to configure it to your likings.
But all the things you have to consider are mentioned on the page of the developer's. But there are several ways to skin a cat, so there are several extensions to do what you also can do with the configuration of the browser.
You've got the point... it's too difficult to configurate, not for common users.