Author Topic: My Firefox Extensions  (Read 57494 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: My Firefox Extensions
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2007, 12:06:16 AM »
Hi Tech,

It does not create a cache, only a cache link. Ctrl + Shft + Del clears the cache after every browsing session, I would strongly advise our users on dial-up to use this with FF or Flock, also to use ATF-Cleaner after a browser session.
Configuration Mania is not that difficult if you dive into the info the developer gives. You have to change one of its basic default settings if you do online banking for instance, but it is thousand times easier than doing it the other way.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2007, 12:11:20 AM »
Ctrl + Shft + Del clears the cache
Living and learning. Thanks.
The best things in life are free.

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2007, 08:08:21 AM »
From my experience using Safecache on a dialup account does cause dramatic slowdowns in page loading on all sites.
If you have Stealther installed and have FF set to clear Cache etc. at close isn't this enough??

Just as an Addon (no pun intended) thought some of the forum members may be interested in some of the
FF Problematic extensions here's the link : http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 08:18:49 AM by tednelly »
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Sesame

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2007, 11:55:50 AM »
From my experience using Safecache on a dialup account does cause dramatic slowdowns in page loading on all sites.
If you have Stealther installed and have FF set to clear Cache etc. at close isn't this enough??

Something is paradoxical ironical here since the cache is more important for people on narrower bands.  In fact, I browse with the cache turned off at home, which makes things easier to me.

BTW, I found nobody seems to have tested any add-on on my list...does this mean everybody has better options especially about Searchwith's context menus idiot-proof tweak?  If so, I am curious.   ::)

[Edited the silly misuse of the word ;)]
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 03:50:15 PM by Rumpelstiltskin »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2007, 02:19:09 PM »
Hi TedNelly,

My suggestion to you, on dial-up or in the future on your renowned "slow dsl" is to launch a pocket firefox or pocket flock from a usb stick, the load up of the browser may be somewhat slower but the surfing will be much faster. You should try it out and tell me if there is a difference.

pol

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2007, 02:50:24 PM »

I am seeing that and I doubt safecache is long for this life on my system, but I'm trying to be patient and give it a fair test.

I do have stealthier, but very rarely use it, so much so I almost forget it is available and as for the deletion of the cache on shutdown, that to would contribute to a major slowdown. In much the same way as safecache having multiple caches relating to a particular origin/page, having no cache at the start of each day I feel would be even worse.

@ polonus
I don't see how pocket firefox would make surfing faster (I don't care much about how long it takes to load), over the standard firefox. If it has the same, functionality, extensions, caches in the same way, etc. then I can see how it would be faster and if so why have standard firefox if pocket firefox is better ???
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2007, 03:08:18 PM »
Hi DavidR,

It does not, because it does not save a thing, no cache, no history, etc. With the old USB sticks that was vital, with a 4GB stick it does not make so much of a difference. The fastest thing I have on my computer is a Browzar shell on a USB, but that cannot be secured in the way I want, I use it for a known site that does not render like I want in the Mozilla type browser.
Redirect remover extension, why? Read here why: http://websecurity.com.ua/1014/

polonus
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 03:14:45 PM by polonus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2007, 03:23:01 PM »
So same problem, no cache, slow surfing rather than "but the surfing will be much faster" as you said. The cache is an essential aid to the dial-up user not adding files to the cache won't increase surfing speed for a dial-up user the file/content still has to be downloaded to be viewed.

The fact it isn't written to a cache goes on behind the scenes and shouldn't effect the downloading of the content, just the fact when you visit the site again you have to download it again rather than retrieve it from the cache. So I can't see how surfing could be faster just because files aren't written to cache.

However, we are drifting way off-topic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2007, 03:28:12 PM »
my list:

;D

tls

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2007, 11:34:20 PM »
BTW, I found nobody seems to have tested any add-on on my list...does this mean everybody has better options especially about Searchwith's context menus idiot-proof tweak?  If so, I am curious.   ::)

I am testing SearchWith now.  It seems very useful, should save me some time and effort.  'Idiot-proof' is good. ;D

FoxClocks is probably next.  Most of the time it will be unnecessary; at other times good to have, because some of my relatives and friends travel extensively. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2007, 12:31:35 AM »
I'm noticing the same in DSL. I'll remove the extension and test again...

I have Google toolbar with other search mechanisms added. It's easy now, when you search a site, it is offered to add it the search mechanisms in the toolbar.

FF Problematic extensions here's the link : http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions
IE Tab > Memory leak > Solution: Uninstall IE Tab and install IE View Lite (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1429/)

FlashBlock > NoScript blocks JavaScript, which is required by FlashBlock > Solution:  Do not use both FlashBlock and NoScript together (NoScript includes Flash-blocking functionality)

Thanks tednelly. Very informative.

My suggestion ... is to launch a pocket firefox or pocket flock from a usb stick, the load up of the browser may be somewhat slower but the surfing will be much faster. You should try it out and tell me if there is a difference.
I use Portable Firefox in a USB stick and see no advantage in the browser speed... like David posted.
The best things in life are free.

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2007, 07:21:58 AM »
Hi TedNelly,

My suggestion to you, on dial-up or in the future on your renowned "slow dsl" is to launch a pocket firefox or pocket flock from a usb stick, the load up of the browser may be somewhat slower but the surfing will be much faster. You should try it out and tell me if there is a difference.
pol

Cheers polonus but for now I'm afraid its Cache On my friend  :D   bloody greedy Australian Telcos.......don't get me started polonus ;)

« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 07:23:46 AM by tednelly »
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

drhayden1

« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2007, 08:55:55 AM »
don't get me started polonus
scared am i......... :o

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2007, 09:10:51 AM »
scared am i......... :o

Agree!! hard to scare a big pussy cat ;) ;) No harm meant Garfield  ;D

drhayden1

« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2007, 10:29:10 AM »
hard to scare a big pussy cat
i'm glad you were referring to garfied 8)
oh! and peter thanks for the link above http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions it was useful of sorts ;)
edited-looked at the link and is siteadvisor now on the don't use extension list ??? it says to Disable McAfee SiteAdvisor or do i need glasses again ::)

click to enlarge....
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 10:37:15 AM by drhayden1 »