Author Topic: Avast installation distort sound in windows XP  (Read 5188 times)

oistein

Avast installation distort sound in windows XP
« on: January 08, 2006, 08:19:50 PM »
Hi y'all,

I am running avast with a windows XP SP2 installation and realtek soundcard. After installing avast i was listening to the avast sound: database has been updated. This is a voice that sound like he his in a big empty hall, i.e. lots of reverb. I thought this was intentionally recorded like that by the avast people.

However, i have now discovered that all my sounds have lots of reverb to it. Meaning that all movies, mp3 songs, games, everthing played through the soundcard has this empty hall sound.

Anybody knows how to get rid of it. In matter of fact this has heppened both to my laptop and desktop. Both with realtek soundcard, onboard intel 945 chipset.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast installation distort sound in windows XP
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 09:39:13 PM »
Both with realtek soundcard, onboard intel 945 chipset.
I have the same hardware. No troubles at all.
Really, I really doubt avast has anything related to reverberation... It just install some wav files to play with avast events (and you can disable it).
It does not change or add any audio driver... Are you really sure this is avast related?
The best things in life are free.

Falcon94

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 11:15:40 PM »
Hi y'all,

I am running avast with a windows XP SP2 installation and realtek soundcard. After installing avast i was listening to the avast sound: database has been updated. This is a voice that sound like he his in a big empty hall, i.e. lots of reverb. I thought this was intentionally recorded like that by the avast people.

However, i have now discovered that all my sounds have lots of reverb to it. Meaning that all movies, mp3 songs, games, everthing played through the soundcard has this empty hall sound.

Anybody knows how to get rid of it. In matter of fact this has heppened both to my laptop and desktop. Both with realtek soundcard, onboard intel 945 chipset.

Try this,
Go into Start>Control Panel>Switch to Classic view and see if there is a icon called Sound Effect Manager. If there is double click on it and it should open the audio configuration window and under environment see if the long white box says none, if it doesn't, click the arrow and select none, then click the OK button
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 01:35:58 AM by Falcon94 »

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 02:34:20 AM »

Welcome to the forums, oistein & Falcon94 !    :)

Be sure to come back often ... learn more ... and maybe help others, too!    ;)

naama

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 10:43:54 AM »
Both with realtek soundcard, onboard intel 945 chipset.
I have the same hardware. No troubles at all.
Really, I really doubt avast has anything related to reverberation... It just install some wav files to play with avast events (and you can disable it).
It does not change or add any audio driver... Are you really sure this is avast related?

got totally different specs with xp sp2, and i only get same distortion with avast installed for few days. i think it also corrupts mouse, only way ive found to fix this is system restore and to prevent it happend again uninstall avast :(   really hope someone knows how to prevent this happen bcos i really like avast, and btw i set not to scan inside my sound blaster directory.

looks like irq problem or similar to me  ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 03:37:01 AM »
i think it also corrupts mouse, only way ive found to fix this is system restore and to prevent it happend again uninstall avast :(
I think avast can't corrupt any hardware... it's just an antivirus... can't be related to mouse troubles...
Maybe you have a conflict with other software that 'freezes' your computer and your mouse... but conflict is not a think generated by avast. You can't use conflicting software in the same computer.

naama

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 10:20:05 AM »
got nothing to do with sound effects and by irq i ment it may effect how xp handles irq's, didnt test to let bios sign em

and yet, it only happens when i have avast installed for few days  /uninstall :'(

im willing to preproduce that distortion if some1 wants to take a look of logs etc
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 10:28:20 AM by naama »

naama

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 01:15:19 AM »
i think it also corrupts mouse, only way ive found to fix this is system restore and to prevent it happend again uninstall avast :(
I think avast can't corrupt any hardware... it's just an antivirus... can't be related to mouse troubles...
Maybe you have a conflict with other software that 'freezes' your computer and your mouse... but conflict is not a think generated by avast. You can't use conflicting software in the same computer.

no other antivirus software was installed when this happend, both times just avg
and as i said this only happens with avg installed, checked msconfig for starting apps and found nothing that should conflig with it
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 01:19:22 AM by naama »

naama

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 01:27:54 AM »
Hi y'all,

oh my. ive shoulda start new topic instead, just read this again and its defo about sound effects...

that was not the prob, my sounds was cutted, every time hdd was accessed sounds were really laggy and was cutted all time. also laggy mouse and hugely increased boot time and laggy fps at games

(replied to wrong post origanally sry about that)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 03:56:53 AM »

no other antivirus software was installed when this happend, both times just avg and as i said this only happens with avg installed, checked msconfig for starting apps and found nothing that should conflig with it
AVG ???
Antivirus or antispyware?
Do you have avast installed at the same time as AVG?