Author Topic: Any suggestions for a new user?  (Read 3065 times)

Zelly

Any suggestions for a new user?
« on: July 03, 2007, 05:11:17 PM »
I just downloaded and installed avast! 4x Home edition last night on my laptop.  Everything seemed to go well with the install, however I'm not sure if there's a certain way I should set-up Avast to run well on my computer.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Any suggestions for a new user?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 05:16:47 PM »
Well... avast is one of the most configurable antivirus round... so, it's difficult to begin...
Maybe you should use the standard settings and get familiarized with it, asking here for particular configurations, etc. A good start would be the help file, then the forum (the sticky topics)...

If you want to see the power of configuration, click 'Settings' in my signature 8)
The best things in life are free.

Myrna Stout

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 05:37:47 PM »
I just downloaded and installed avast! 4x Home edition last night on my laptop.  Everything seemed to go well with the install, however I'm not sure if there's a certain way I should set-up Avast to run well on my computer.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.
:'(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 05:41:04 PM »
For the most part the default settings provide a good balance between performance and protection. The avast providers are set at Normal sensitivity, this slider can be increased to High for, the Internet Mail and the Web Shield providers without any undue impact on performance. The Standard Shield, I would recommend you leave on Normal, certainly for the time being. The Outlook/Exchange will be disabled unless you are using MS Outlook (not express) or MS Exchange

The other providers Instant Messaging, P2P, Network Shield providers, the slider has no effect and I believe is more to do with everything looking the same.

I would suggest that you browse the forums, especially the sticky topics at the top of each of the forums, not to mention the avast help file. They provide a wealth of information to help you get the best from avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 05:42:21 PM »

Thanks.
:'(

And you point is Myrna ???
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security