Author Topic: Avast premium security and Outlook 2019  (Read 11533 times)

Offline gordonrm

Re: Avast premium security and Outlook 2019
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2021, 11:21:36 PM »
I will add my two cents to this string: I use Avast Premium Security and Outlook and the Avast anti-spam buttons on my ribbon was invaluable. Now that they are no longer available I have to use MS Junk which requires two actions rather than one to mark an email as spam. Given the dozens of spam I receive daily this adds up. And I don't know whether the MS anti-spam actually works (see other comments on this thread).

Avast: please reactivate your anti-spam add-in for Outlook ASAP.

Offline NicholScythe

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2021, 10:14:36 AM »
Hello all.
I don't understand...Why remove it?? If people don't like it they could just disable it. I think the whole "We removed it to focus on other stuff" line is BS. For a major AV company to remove an important feature like that seems a little odd. 
I have many client's that relied on that tool and now that it is gone their inbox is flooded with spam because the add-in is gone and it disables Outlooks spam filter. As bad as it is, it still catching somethings. And it's a huge cop out to say that mail servers block spam for its users. If that was the case they would not have made the feature and continued to update it in the first place.
Me and a few buddies are going to install the offline version that still has the spam filter to and attempt to find anything of relevance, then try to manually install/add the vpx to the latest version.

Between the spam blocker being gone and the horrendous way that Avast is manipulating beginner and novice PC users by giving them a "free version" of the cleenup program and then charging $30 to $50 for the equivalent of a free version of CCleaner, their practices have been losing a lot of favor in the IT community. User's get messages like "your computer is at risk" from the Avast program itself designed to dupe them into spending another $50 for a VPN. If your card is on file with from buying an AV license from them just clicking install will add it to your license and they won't stop charging you unless you contact them to stop. And if your card is on file and it is time to renew, the $30-$40 license jumps to $80. that's around $150 a year for 1 license+cleenup+vpn. I can't count the number of times I have had to call them on behalf of a client because they either have a VPN, system cleaning program, have both, or don't need either. How are they any different than the spam messages they refuse to block now? If anyone has seen the Nugenix or Noom scams to get your credit card number you can see nary a difference.
Sorry for the rant. I just don't like how they went from a trust worthy provider to an unscrupulous greed machine.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 10:20:44 AM by NicholScythe »

Offline bigwrench9

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2021, 12:50:24 AM »
Hello all.
I don't understand...Why remove it?? If people don't like it they could just disable it. I think the whole "We removed it to focus on other stuff" line is BS. For a major AV company to remove an important feature like that seems a little odd. 
I have many client's that relied on that tool and now that it is gone their inbox is flooded with spam because the add-in is gone and it disables Outlooks spam filter. As bad as it is, it still catching somethings. And it's a huge cop out to say that mail servers block spam for its users. If that was the case they would not have made the feature and continued to update it in the first place.
Me and a few buddies are going to install the offline version that still has the spam filter to and attempt to find anything of relevance, then try to manually install/add the vpx to the latest version.

Between the spam blocker being gone and the horrendous way that Avast is manipulating beginner and novice PC users by giving them a "free version" of the cleenup program and then charging $30 to $50 for the equivalent of a free version of CCleaner, their practices have been losing a lot of favor in the IT community. User's get messages like "your computer is at risk" from the Avast program itself designed to dupe them into spending another $50 for a VPN. If your card is on file with from buying an AV license from them just clicking install will add it to your license and they won't stop charging you unless you contact them to stop. And if your card is on file and it is time to renew, the $30-$40 license jumps to $80. that's around $150 a year for 1 license+cleenup+vpn. I can't count the number of times I have had to call them on behalf of a client because they either have a VPN, system cleaning program, have both, or don't need either. How are they any different than the spam messages they refuse to block now? If anyone has seen the Nugenix or Noom scams to get your credit card number you can see nary a difference.
Sorry for the rant. I just don't like how they went from a trust worthy provider to an unscrupulous greed machine.

Have you found an offline install that works for installing the antispam module???
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 12:54:34 AM by bigwrench9 »

Offline Nabz

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2021, 05:54:38 AM »
I too can't seem to understand why Avast has removed an important feature that they deem to be "unimportant". Almost all security solution have an Anti Spam module integrated within their products to tackle Desktop Spam, Phishing/malware links etc.

My Avast Premium license expired last week, I was contemplating if I should renew with Avast due to this important feature not being there. I have switched to Bitdefender now. So far pleased with the switch as it contains an excellent Anti Spam feature and excellent malware protection. Bitdefender and Avast are top of the line when it comes to malware protection thus I made the switch. So far, very happy with no regrets.

Offline NicholScythe

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2021, 01:24:55 AM »
I too can't seem to understand why Avast has removed an important feature that they deem to be "unimportant". Almost all security solution have an Anti Spam module integrated within their products to tackle Desktop Spam, Phishing/malware links etc.

My Avast Premium license expired last week, I was contemplating if I should renew with Avast due to this important feature not being there. I have switched to Bitdefender now. So far pleased with the switch as it contains an excellent Anti Spam feature and excellent malware protection. Bitdefender and Avast are top of the line when it comes to malware protection thus I made the switch. So far, very happy with no regrets.
Thanks for the reminder. Bitdefender is great and may offer to switch more clients to that in the coming months. I haven't seen what their their bulk license prices are but it is a solid program indeed. I prefer Malwarebytes for my personal PC. But one thing Avast has going for it is how aggressive the firewall can be.
BTW did anyone notice that Avast stopped their password storage program too? Another really great feature just *pft* gone, wtf Avast?? It was one of the few password programs I trusted and spanned across a variety of internet explorers, plus had the options for online and local backups. A lot of machines didn't have it, but then I will see both versions of it (old and new) on others, including one of my laptops. After they keep whittling down some of the better add-ons it might as well be Windows Security.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 02:28:18 AM by NicholScythe »

Offline NicholScythe

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2021, 01:54:31 AM »

Have you found an offline install that works for installing the antispam module???

Yes. I just enabled my profile to receive emails here. We can figure out something like an anon drop link. But if you post here forgive me if I don't remember to check this particular community forum to answer back in the interim though.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 02:05:42 AM by NicholScythe »

Offline bigwrench9

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2021, 04:00:37 AM »

Yes. I just enabled my profile to receive emails here. We can figure out something like an anon drop link. But if you post here forgive me if I don't remember to check this particular community forum to answer back in the interim though.

Thanks for the reply....I really doubt Avast! give a hoot about the antispam module, however, some of us paying customers relied on it. It's really sad.You could add it to the beta program (you have the technology) and those who want to install it CAN! Just a real sad thing they have done. When there's all sorts of stuff that can be installed,if you choose, and you have the opportunity to not install it if you don't want it.

Sadly, I believe our concerns and hopes are falling on deaf ears.