Author Topic: HTTPS scanning doesn't respect sites in the exception list  (Read 2262 times)

Offline Mr. Consumer

HTTPS scanning doesn't respect sites in the exception list
« on: July 24, 2021, 08:39:32 PM »
Hello! I previously shared a post where I showed that Avast writes an excessive amount of data on the disk on some streaming sites like Twitch. If I watch 5 GB content on Twitch then Avast also seems to write 5 GB on my disk.
Later I figured out that it's related to the HTTPS scanning feature. If I turn of HTTPS scanning then Avast don't write so much data anymore.
So I wanted to put Twitch in the exception list hoping that the site will be completely ignored by Avast's web shiled including HTTPS scanning. But it turns out Avast still does HTTPS scanning on the site.
I found no other option to exclude sites from HTTPS scanning. So I think either Avast shouldn't do HTTPS scanning on excluded sites or a separate option should be given to exclude sites from HTTPS scanning. At least in the "geek:area".

Here's my previous post on the forum about Avast's high disk write:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=290343.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: HTTPS scanning doesn't respect sites in the exception list
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 09:17:19 PM »
I'm not entirely what you have tried.

But you should be able to Add an Advanced Exception, Image 1, 2 and 3 attached.

Two things:
1.  I don't know exactly what you entered and where.
2.  Presumably even if you have excluded twitch.tv as I have in my example, I would be fairly sure all of this streaming wouldn't necessarily be going through that domain.

The chances are there would be multiple servers with multiple domains being downloaded to your computer.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Mr. Consumer

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 09:26:17 PM »
I'm not entirely what you have tried.

But you should be able to Add an Advanced Exception, Image 1, 2 and 3 attached.

Two things:
1.  I don't know exactly what you entered and where.
2.  Presumably even if you have excluded twitch.tv as I have in my example, I would be fairly sure all of this streaming wouldn't necessarily be going through that domain.

The chances are there would be multiple servers with multiple domains being downloaded to your computer.
Thanks for showing it. But this is exactly what I tried. Sites are not scanned by Avast anymore when you do this but Avast still does HTTPS scanning on the site. As I said, when I completely disable HTTPS scanning the high disk writes of Avast is stopped. But instead of disabling HTTPS scanning if I put it into the exception list then Avast still do HTTPS scanning on the site and the high disk write happens.
So I was looking for an option to exclude domains from HTTPS scanning.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 09:43:39 PM »
That is why I gave the full https url.

Of course the high disc writes stop when HTTPS scanning is stopped, but it really isn't confirming the problem.

As I said your streams may well be coming from other servers and not necessarily twitch.tv domain and they wouldn't be excluded by the twitch.tv exception.

Are you able to determine exactly where they are being served from ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Mr. Consumer

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 09:47:13 PM »
That is why I gave the full https url.

Of course the high disc writes stop when HTTPS scanning is stopped, but it really isn't confirming the problem.

As I said your streams may well be coming from other servers and not necessarily twitch.tv domain and they wouldn't be excluded by the twitch.tv exception.

Are you able to determine exactly where they are being served from ?
A very good point. I'll let you know after I check.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 09:50:47 PM »
Hopefully you will be able to locate the source.
Even then there might be multiple servers involved in the network.

Offline Mr. Consumer

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2021, 10:20:02 PM »
Hopefully you will be able to locate the source.
Even then there might be multiple servers involved in the network.
You were right. I was stupid not to think of this. The streams are loaded from a seperate domain. For Twitch it's: "..........ttvnw.net".
So I just added  "https://*.ttvnw.net/*" into the exception list and it has fixed my problem. No more high disk writes.
Thank you so much.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 11:09:29 PM »
You're welcome.

Happy it is resolved for you.