Author Topic: What is/does VDRB do?  (Read 4031 times)

jgangster93

What is/does VDRB do?
« on: July 04, 2007, 05:03:48 AM »
Does it copy files? Because, in my virus chest, i tried to extract 4 files, but it says it already exists, and it gives me an option to overwrite. The only way those files are already there is probably because i used vdrb once. Suggestions? :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: What is/does VDRB do?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 04:29:11 PM »
You're messing VRDB and Chest.

VRDB stores the necessary info to restore executables (*.exe, *.com) files.
VRDB is not a backup system, the stored information is very small (not the whole files).
Besides, only Win32 executables are processed.
The VRDB data are stored in <avast>\Data\Integ\avast.int
So it's not a bakcup utility, but a restore feature of avast. VRDB is a generic method, storing file parts that are often target of virus infections. So, it is capable of fixing even some brand new virus infections.

Chest is Quarantine. The files "in Chest" are actually stored in a crypted form inside of the avast! installation directory. Leave them in the chest (they can't do any harm there) for a week or two so as to ensure that there are no harmful effects from them having been moved there (incorrect detection, etc.). This gives you time to investigate if at all possible (google search, ask here, etc.) to confirm.

During the installation, avast! copies some critical system files into the Chest, under the "System files" category. Those files might cause the operating system to crash if they get infected by a virus. If needed, those files can be restored from the Chest to their original location. Should an unknown virus infect the computer despite the extensive protection from the avast! antivirus package and alter an important system file, it can then be easily restored to its original state.

There are (generally) files in the System Folder of the Chest: command.com kernel 32.dll and wsoch32.dll
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 04:36:54 PM »
Does it copy files? Because, in my virus chest, i tried to extract 4 files, but it says it already exists, and it gives me an option to overwrite. The only way those files are already there is probably because i used vdrb once. Suggestions? :)

Besides what Tech said the VRDB and the Chest are unrelated. What are the files you are trying to extract from the chest (and what was their original location) ?

And possibly more importantly why ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ajcstr

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 02:31:28 AM »
I have been using Avast! home for over a year now and have never created a VDRB.  Am I compromising Avast's ability to repair a file?  I am a little confused about the VDRB myself.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 03:06:45 AM »
Am I compromising Avast's ability to repair a file?
Sure. That's VRDB purpose... avast uses VRDB to repair executable files the get infected.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 04:31:20 AM »
Whilst there only certain things that can be repaired (trojans can't as the file is completely malicious) you are slightly compromising avast's ability to repair those files it can repair if infected.

Check the avast help file, healing, VRDB, see image (click to expand).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security