Author Topic: Avast Not Always Auto-Updating  (Read 1986 times)

Offline fireworksheavens

Avast Not Always Auto-Updating
« on: July 25, 2021, 08:08:14 PM »
As the title says, within the last few weeks, at random, Avast hasn't been updating its latest definitions, forcing me to do it manually.
Upon each Reboot of my computer, or Start Up for the day, I manually check the Menu -> Settings -> Update tab to make sure I have the most recent definitions. I do this out of habit from back in the day when updates didn't occur automatically. On random days I'll see in Red lettering "Virus definitions are not up to date", so I manually update them, and from that point on throughout the day they resume updating automatically.

I ran the Repair Console yesterday thinking that my version of Avast had become corrupted, by going into Windows 10 settings, apps, Uninstall Avast, and selecting Repair in the menu that's presented. It finished the Repair and then I rebooted. But today I saw that Red lettering again.

Is there something wrong with the Avast auto-update server, or is this just a bug in this version of Avast? I've included screenshots of before and after seeing the Red lettering, from before updating manually to afterwards. I also unchecked "Enable streaming update" today just to see if that's the cause of the issue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 08:10:19 PM by fireworksheavens »

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Avast Not Always Auto-Updating
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 12:15:16 PM »
Hi,

Is it possible that at some point you are perhaps not connected to the internet? How long after "Start Up for the day" do you wait before you check the updates?

Offline fireworksheavens

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 03:47:45 PM »
My router is on 24/7, so as soon as I boot up my computer has a connection. I check for updates as soon as I log into Windows.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 10:46:41 AM »
I check for updates as soon as I log into Windows.
Tried waiting 30min and see what happens ?

Offline fireworksheavens

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 03:36:28 PM »
No I haven't. I would prefer the definitions be up to date as soon as I start using my computer after logging in. It used to work properly, but for whatever reason it's not now.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 03:44:07 PM »
Hi, if stream updates are enabled, there's nothing to worry about.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline fireworksheavens

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 04:43:29 PM »
Last night it updated its Application Version, and now I'm not seeing the Red lettering anymore. I guess the update fixed whatever the core problem was.

Offline fireworksheavens

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 08:54:35 PM »
Update on this issue:

I can confirm that it's still not behaving correctly.
When I booted up this morning, the Update tab showed Definitions version 210729-2 installed. I took the other persons advice and just left it alone for a few hours to see if the streaming update feature would take care of it, and it didn't. Two hours later, it still showed the same Definitions version, with the timestamp 2:37PM. So I manually clicked the Check For Updates button, and then it displayed 210730-8 at timestamp 2:40PM.

At this point my only other option is to reinstall Avast since the Automatic Updates feature clearly isn't working.

Offline stevec5375

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 12:41:46 PM »
I saw this problem this morning.  I always do "Check for Updates" to be sure that Avast has updated itself.  I'm seeing that the virus definitions have not been updated.  I'm running on Windows 7.

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 05:24:29 PM »
... to see if the streaming update feature would take care of it, and it didn't. Two hours later, it still showed the same Definitions version, with the timestamp 2:37PM.
Precisely, "stream updates" (if checked), are not intended to update the latest virus definitions (time-stamped) as you get them in manual, but to be added to the old definitions as they come in.
So, as long as there are not too many additions by "stream updates", your definitions may take a while to update automatically, but you are still protected.
VPS(t)=VPS(t-1)+SU

Offline fireworksheavens

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2021, 05:29:52 AM »
Excellent information.
Instead of reinstalling Avast, I decided to just let it go and see what happens over a few days while limiting my internet activity. The next day I saw that the Definitions had updated themselves and the Red lettering no longer existed.