Author Topic: Issue with Twitch.tv  (Read 4293 times)

Offline tsleezy

Issue with Twitch.tv
« on: July 26, 2021, 05:22:45 PM »
Hello,

As we know, there has been a problem with Twitch.tv and Avast / AVG for several days. Avast reports a virus by viewing certain live broadcasts (Twitch.tv AD servers). This virus is marked as URL:TechScam (example report for: video-edge-8fa618[dot]waw01[dot]abs[dot]hls[dot]ttvnw[dot]net). I saw that AVG users also have the same problem (as far as I know Avast and AVG use the same virus database so it could be a backend problem).

Is the virus marked as URL:TechScam means that the antivirus program has detected a part of the virus, e.g. in the source code, or is it due to e.g. accidental blacklisting of the site?

There are many topics on the internet regarding this matter:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/orhpjk/avast_is_blocking_streams_whats_wrong_with_ad/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/or2g79/got_this_earlier_and_i_still_wonder_how_or_why/
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=291546.0
https://support.avg.com/answers?id=9065p000000Q6wHAAS
https://twitter.com/search?q=avast%20twitch&src=typed_query&f=live

Did the Avast development team contact Twitch.tv to fix the problem? Because it is not known whether the threat is real or just a false positive.

I reported this page as a false positive, but if it is possible, I would like to know what caused the result (whether there was actually a threat on the page).

Best regards.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 11:44:36 PM by tsleezy »

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Issue with Twitch.tv
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 08:47:03 AM »
Hi,

Once you receive a response to the case/ticket you raised, you can reply and ask for more details. If possible, the team will provide you with additional information. In general, if it is a false positive, the issue is on the side of Avast, and no additional information can be provided.

Offline Tom3030

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 11:32:17 PM »
Hi,

Once you receive a response to the case/ticket you raised, you can reply and ask for more details. If possible, the team will provide you with additional information. In general, if it is a false positive, the issue is on the side of Avast, and no additional information can be provided.

Im having the same problem right now with a twitch channel that I follow, all other channels work except one specific, so annoying. I added the channel url to the exception list but didnt work /help.

Funny thing when I opened the channel in a browser called epic privacy browser and connected with USA proxy it worked just fine, maybe Avast isnt protecting for that browser.

Any ideas what to do?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 11:45:30 PM by Tom3030 »

Offline Tom3030

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 12:32:26 AM »
Just had another one that I follow that gets blocked by Avast :(

Might be time for me to look for another AV, just a shame as I like Avast, but when I can't watch the channels I follow i'll have to find something else.

Offline InvisibleMan

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 06:27:57 PM »
Try disabling scaning for SSL in Web Shield.

It helped me to solve a lot of issues with different sites.

Not to mention that keeping it enabled allows Avast program to emulate your real SSL, making your connection less secure, plus it's a third party software intercepting SSL, which what that SSL protection should be for in in the first place.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 07:32:01 PM »
Try disabling scaning for SSL in Web Shield.

It helped me to solve a lot of issues with different sites.

Not to mention that keeping it enabled allows Avast program to emulate your real SSL, making your connection less secure, plus it's a third party software intercepting SSL, which what that SSL protection should be for in in the first place.

1.  That doesn't help, it simply means you are lowering your defences.

2.  Ditto above, avoidance isn't a solution.

3.  It isn't emulating SSL the connection is still secure, it is acting as a man in the middle so that SSL traffic can be scanned prior to arriving on your system.  The SSL connection has nothing to do with the task Avast is performing, the connection is still secure.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Tom3030

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 08:22:43 PM »
Seems to be random, one of the channels I had probs with since yesterday is now working again :)

Offline InvisibleMan

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 11:02:57 PM »
3.  It isn't emulating SSL the connection is still secure, it is acting as a man in the middle so that SSL traffic can be scanned prior to arriving on your system.  The SSL connection has nothing to do with the task Avast is performing, the connection is still secure.
I understand, but being able to scan the actual data, means it can potentially store it. It could be leaked, or even sold.

And before you say that Avast wouldn't do that, there's no guarantee, because Avast was officially caught already for being a cause for leaked personal data before:

In January 2020, a joint investigation by Motherboard and PCMag found that the Avast Antivirus and AVG AntiVirus Free version were collecting user data, which was being resold to personalize advertising through a subsidiary, Jumpshot. The leaked documents showed that Jumpshot offered to provide its customers with "Every search. Every click. On every site." than 100 million compromised devices. In response, Avast announced on January 30, 2020 that it would immediately shut down Jumpshot and cease all operations due to the backlash of its users' data privacy.

And a preliminary investigation is probably still going on: https://www.uoou.cz/en/vismo/dokumenty2.asp?id_org=200156&id=1896
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 11:07:54 PM by videosfromsites »

Offline Tom3030

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 01:03:52 AM »
Now I dont get the popup anymore even though it blocked the stream, and no blue dot on the tray icon anymore. Is there a way to get the blue dot back on the tray icon for when there is a notification?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 01:24:19 AM »
I understand, but being able to scan the actual data, means it can potentially store it. It could be leaked, or even sold.
<snip>

The same could be true of non ssl traffic and everything scanned on your system.

If you are that doubtful/suspicious, why are you even using Avast. 
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security