Author Topic: Msn Messenger Problem  (Read 5744 times)

Matty

Msn Messenger Problem
« on: July 05, 2007, 01:03:19 AM »
My msn messenger doesnt load many times and freezes upon startup.  I have a Windows Xp Home Edition computer and under Windows Task Manager I have 5 svchost.exe programs running and I think one of them for the system thats running at 16,000k is holding it up cause when I end the process msn tries to sign in but it disconnects me from the internet and cant dial up again till I restart the computer.   Anyone know what I should do to get it to work all the time?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Msn Messenger Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 03:46:21 AM »
How did you set to receive Windows updates?
Automatically? If you disable the updates and test, does the program disappears?
Sometimes, Windows Updates (that use svchost.exe) could do to it...
The best things in life are free.

Matty

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 03:16:59 AM »
Under system/automatic updates - I have automatic updates disabled on my computer and have it set at I will do it manually.  Is that where the updates are or somewhere else? 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 02:15:18 PM »
Is that where the updates are or somewhere else? 
Start Menu > Control Panel > Automatic Updates.
But does this occur very frequently or just after login? I mean, the msn trouble.
If you logoff and logon again, does this occur?
The best things in life are free.

Matty

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 10:01:04 PM »
I cant even sign into msn.  Before I dial up it shows msn messenger but after it turns into a blank white box.  It happens even when I turn my computer off and on again.  Its only worked a couple times the last week.  I turned off the automatic updates there and will restart my computer now. 

Matty

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 10:10:15 PM »
Still doesnt work.  In Windows Task Manager it says Msn Messenger is not responding also. 

lurkingatu2

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 11:56:23 PM »
i have msn 9.5 dialup and when i sign on to msn it uses msn messenger with msn 9.5 to sign in to msn but i can also use msn connection center to get online with out msn's junk this is how i do it go in to your programs folder and open the msn folder then open the msnia folder and open the cc folder then msncc folder now find msncc.exe right click it and send to the desktop now you have a new way to get online i know it doint help messenger but you can atleast get on line and you doin't have to have msn messenger running then maby you can download it again and uninstall and reinstall it and see if that helps  :) i only use msn's stuff to like check e-mails there and use the msncc way the rest of the time  :)   

Matty

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 12:43:13 AM »
I just have Msn Messenger not Msn dial up internet.  I will try reinstalling it once though but probably will lead back to the same problem.

Matty

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 04:45:32 AM »
I reinstalled it and it still doesnt work.  I attached a Hijackthis log if that can help.

jwatt37

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 12:00:31 AM »
Dunno mate sorry  :-\

Randalv

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 03:46:11 AM »
I've got the exact same problem dude, it's really annoying.... My entire computer seems to be frikkin unstable tho.... I sure hope some of the AVAST people are reading this so we can get a fix soon..

EDIT: typos
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 12:29:49 PM by Randalv »

Matty

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 02:29:30 AM »
I emailed Windows Live Messenger about it and think I got it fixed.  Worked the last few days anyway.