Author Topic: newbie questions  (Read 2131 times)

vrflash

newbie questions
« on: July 05, 2007, 09:51:58 PM »
I am returning my norton internet security 2007 becuase the updates didn't work and the help desk couldn't help me. I installed avast home edition and
have two questions. I understand that I can't schedule a scan, but is there a way to force a scan? Also, I understand that there is no firewall in the home edition. I installed comodo firewall. So far it works, but should there be any problems for avast and comodo working together?

Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 12:19:31 AM »
Check this work around out - HOWTO: Scheduled Automatic Scans avast! Home Version!

The major disadvantage with the task scheduler trick of using ashquick.exe is, it will scan every file of the hdd, partition, folder or file that you set it to scan; even those files not considered a potential threat, this can take a long time. It is possible to add certain folders to the exclusions list for say your media files, etc. This could leave you vulnerable if that folder got infected as it wouldn't be scanned by the on-demand scanner as you have excluded it.

The Pro version gives a lot more flexibility and the scan would follow the settings and exclusions, etc. of the regular scan.

With the different levels of protection (Web Shield, Internet Mail, P2P and Instant Messaging) and the fall back of the Standard Shield, I find the need for daily scheduled scans lessened. I prefer to do a manual scan with my regular weekly maintenance tasks.

avast and comodo firewall work fine together, there are many forum members using it as their firewall.

A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

vrflash

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 12:34:29 AM »
Thank you.

You wrote: I prefer to do a manual scan with my regular weekly maintenance tasks.

How do you do a manual scan?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 12:44:01 AM »
Right click the avast icon, select Start avast! Antivirus, after a memory scan you will see the Simple User Interface, this is a skinned interface (and if you don't like that one you can change it or download others).

Here you can do on-demand scans either with Local disks, Folder Options or Removable Media, you can also select the sensitivity of the scan Quick, Standard, Thorough and if you want archive files to be scanned.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

vrflash

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 12:50:16 AM »
Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 02:33:22 AM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.

Stick around and browse the forums, especially the sticky topics at the top of each of the forums, not to mention the avast help file. They provide a wealth of information to help you get the best from avast.