Author Topic: Can't check emails with Avast going  (Read 20191 times)

atryeu

Can't check emails with Avast going
« on: July 06, 2007, 01:22:55 AM »
Hi,

I finally decided to get rid of Norton since my subscription was up tomorrow anyway. I was tired of all the problems, so I had been doing lots of research online over the last few months and have heard that Avast was one of the best free AV programs out there.

I removed Norton completely and setup Avast today but I am having email issues now that Avast is on here. If I go into the "On Access Protection Control" and Terminate the Internet Mail, I can check emails just fine, but with that running, I can't. I would really like to keep it enabled so my incoming emails can be scanned.

I found a help topic at this page: http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=38&nav=0,1,20      with some information that might help fix the issue, but I couldn't find the "Mail Protection Wizard" and after some searching, it seems that feature is no longer available, so I am at a loss as to how to fix this issue.  My email is used heavily for work daily so I need access to it, but I want to make sure my emails are virus free when they come in.

I am running Win XP SP2. The issue is happening in both Outlook Express 6  and Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5    Avast is version 4.7

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

- Jennifer

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can't check emails with Avast going
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 02:43:54 AM »
The Mail Protection Wizard is designed for use with win9x, winME as the Internet Mail needs to be set-up to work with those OSes, it isn't required for win2k, winXP, Vista.

At the top of that KB article was:
This article applies only on Windows 95/98/ME operating systems.

So there is something else in the mix.
What is the exact error message or post a screenshot of the error ?

What is your email client ?
What is your firewall ?
Does it allow ashMaiSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entries for them and do a manual update and reconnect to the internet and try to download your email, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.

A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 03:23:26 AM »
Do you use any firewall? Is ashMaiSv.exe allowed to connect into the firewall settings?
Which work do you do in this computer?
The best things in life are free.

atryeu

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 04:48:16 AM »
Currently I am only running the default firewall that came with Win XP.

I use both Outlook Express 6  and Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5  as my email clients (I listed these in my first post).

I get the following error when trying to check emails:

The server responded with an error. Account: 'Atryeu', Server: 'mail.pacifier.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Cannot connect to POP server 64.255.238.209 (64.255.238.209:110), connect error 10061', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

In Mozilla, the error just states that it cannot connect to the POP3 email. As soon as the Internet Mail is disabled in Avast, all of my emails will check just fine.

DavidR:  Thank you for the link about Norton. I did remove all of the extras earlier today including other random folders and registry entries. I had a list of registry files and such for the software from back when I helped a friend completely remove it from their system. I also had the same version as they did, and I had kept the information and was able to delete everything completely without trouble :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 04:52:50 AM by atryeu »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 05:13:48 AM »

atryeu

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 05:47:42 AM »
For emails, no. I don't have any programs that help block email spam.

The 2nd link at Microsoft shouldn't be the issue. I do have multiple accounts setup, however they are for different mail servers. They do all share my one outgoing mail server through my ISP though.

My emails were checking okay with the Internet Mail settings in Avast turned on awhile ago, but now I get the same error again.  It is something with the Avast email scanners, because when that feature is disabled, I can check the emails prefectly fine without any errors but as soon as I enable it again, the error comes up as soon as I try and check/send an email.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 08:49:54 AM »
Have you actually run the removal tool recommended by David?

Your issues seem (to me) to bear all the classic signs of a Norton intercept blocking avast. 

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 09:34:17 AM »
An update to the latest TB version (2.0.0.4) would be advised when problem solved.
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

atryeu

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 09:44:55 AM »
I already have a copy of the Norton removal tool on my system, which I did use after uninstalling the main program through Add/Remove Programs. I also manually went through and removed all other traces of it. Norton and Symantec no longer exists anywhere on this system, including in the registry.

I do know about the update for Thunderbird, but I had heard there were several issues with it that would interfere with some of my things so I was waiting for the next release before updating. I do not use Thunderbird as heavily as I do Outlook Express, but it does get used quite often. Outlook Express gets used daily though.

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 09:56:11 AM »
atryeu have you tried an Avast repair
Repair Avast--Add/Remove programs/Select Avast scroll down to repair-- Must be online/ reboot

Are you sure ashMaiSv.exe has correct permissions via your Firewall

Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 10:21:34 AM »
Thunderbird 1.5.0.12 is still a supported current version of Thunderbird and version 1.5 will be officially supported until the fall of this year so there is no rush yet to go to Thunderbird 2 - and by then they may have fixed a few more of the issues with the new (and very lackluster - my opinion) release.

Since you tell us that you are using just the Windows XP firewall there should be no issues with permission for avast to make the outbound connections to your mail server.

Can you please tell us a little more about the POP3 setup for you account on mail.pacifier.com?

Are you using a secure logon option for this account at all?  In Thunderbird what is the security setting for the POP3 entry for the account?   

atryeu

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 09:55:02 PM »
Tednelly:  The repair didn't seem to work :(

alanrf: Yes, that's what I thought too. I'm in no hurry to update Thunderbird yet, so I can wait until some of the issues are fixed in their next update before I upgrade.

My Pacifier account is actually setup in Outlook Express. Thunderbird contains 2 POP3 email accounts and those are used for my personal website, and another website that I help run.

Under Outlook Express, I have my main email account (Pacifier) and 3 others. All connect to a different mail server to check for incoming mail. ALL outgoing mail in both Outlook and Thunderbird have to go through Pacifier.

Secure Authentication is not setup for any of the email accounts. The server ports for all emails are 25 (for outgoing), and 110 (incoming).

Would the email scanner for Avast interfere with certain POP3 settings? 

Still no luck today either. I enabled the Internet Mail and my emails still won't check with that turned on :(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 09:59:01 PM »
Secure Authentication is not setup for any of the email accounts. The server ports for all emails are 25 (for outgoing), and 110 (incoming). Would the email scanner for Avast interfere with certain POP3 settings?
Not on Windows 2k or XP. If ashMaiSv.exe allowed to connect into your firewall settings?

atryeu

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 12:32:57 AM »
Not on Windows 2k or XP. If ashMaiSv.exe allowed to connect into your firewall settings?

Avast was able to scan my emails once yesterday before it started causing the problems again, so the firewall shouldn't be a problem.  I am currently only using the default firewall that came with Win XP. I double checked the settings and Avast is listed as being allowed.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 12:50:52 AM »
Maybe you can add the following line to the [MailScanner] section of <avast>\data\avast4.ini:
Log=20
Then generate some traffic, simulate the problem (i.e. force the avast mail scanner to time out by sending an email with attachment) and then post here the contents of the file <avast>\data\log\aswMaiSv.log

Details: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12234.msg103474#msg103474