Author Topic: Can't check emails with Avast going  (Read 20195 times)

atryeu

Re: Can't check emails with Avast going
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2007, 08:50:42 AM »
I had to just copy and paste the log to a txt file and attach to this post. It ran over the post limit when I tried to paste here :(

During the tests, I first tried to check my Pacifier email and got the same error as before. During my 2nd test, I sent an image attachment to one of my other addresses and that successefully went through, so it seems the issue is only with incoming email....

I edited my email out from the log to prevent any spammers and such from picking it up.... I try and avoid listing my email, especially my personal email, online to help cut down on spam.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2007, 02:02:51 PM »
I really see no trouble in your log... although I'm not an expert on mail scanning. Hope Alanrf could give you a hand
The best things in life are free.

atryeu

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 09:25:29 PM »
Hi Tech,  Thank you for trying to help out.   Isn't technology great? LoL  I should have known that there would be problems when I switched AV software. There always seems to be something that happens when you decide to do something that should only take at most a half hour (or less). I guess that's what I get for working with computers though, huh?

Thank you again :)  Perhaps somebody else might spot something out of place in the log, or come up with another idea LoL

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2007, 01:21:36 AM »
Perhaps somebody else might spot something out of place in the log, or come up with another idea LoL
I think Alanrf is the guy that can help here... I hope he monitors this thread 8)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2007, 04:25:23 AM »
Well, you certainly did log an error in trying to get your mail from mail.pacifier.net.

I tried setting up a fictitious account using that same server name and I get exactly the same error as you do.  Since you are using port 110 I am assuming that you are trying to access a POP account (rather than an IMAP account).  When I changed the server name to pop3.pacifier.net I get a much more normal conversation with the server requesting my logon password.

I suggest that you too try that server name.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2007, 05:23:28 AM »
Further update.

I should have added a couple of oddities.  It appears that you are working with a site hosting organization that is hosting the pacifier site.

When I responded to you a couple of days ago I was able to connect (with avast intercept in place) to mail.pacifier.net port 110 and received a proper POP3 response from the server.

I notice today that any effort to connect to mail.pacifier.net at port 110 is refused (whether the avast intercept is in place or not). 

However, mail.pacifier.com does connect on port 110 and gives a valid POP3 response and mail.pacifier.com does also connect on port 25 and give a valid SMTP server response. 

I am wondering if this is a DNS issue that needs managing by your hosting company.  On a site I used to check pacifier.net/pacifier.com (hosted at the same site) it records that:

mail.pacifier.com is a valid name

pop3.pacifier.net is a valid name

mail.pacifier.net is not a valid name

intrac

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2007, 05:29:35 AM »
I have a similar problem with outgoing email on VISTA -- using both Windows Live Mail Desktop & Windows Mail.

I had used McAfee and there was a setting to allow outgoing email because I had a similar problem.

McAfee was too bloated so I tried AVAST4 which works great, however I can't send mail from either Live Mail Desktop or Windows Mail.

The set-up properties of both mail systems are almost identical. There is no problem receiving mail.
I can send when I disable the Internet Mail service.

I've attached picures of the properties windows.

Both mail systems return the same error message:

The server does not support a SSL connection. Subject 'Test', Account: 'Sympatico (xxxxxx)', Server: 'smtphm.sympatico.ca', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '250 OK', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 250, Error Number: 0x800CCC7D

Is there a fix for this?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2007, 05:46:22 AM »
intrac

your problem has nothing to do with this thread. However, rather than asking you to create a separate thread for your problem I hope I will be forgiven if I answer it here. 

Your ISP has take the very strange course of requiring you to send your mail using the standard SMTP port (25) but also to use an SSL connection with that port.  Almost every other service that wants SMTP sent via an SSL connection uses port 995. 

That's just the way it is with your ISP and avast cannot scan SSL connections (nobody and no other antivirus can either).  Unfortunately, it means that you must turn off outbound email scanning in the SMTP tab of the avast Internet Mail provider (uncheck the box in there).  This will not affect your mail, nobody receiving email should assume it has been scanned by the sender anyway.   

intrac

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2007, 05:57:38 AM »
Many thanks.

It works.

atryeu

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2007, 11:27:47 PM »
Hi Alanrf,

Pacifier is my main ISP, but the POP3 email from there isn't the only one giving me the error, as I mentioned earlier. If Avast's Internet Mail is running, all my POP3's will bring up that same error.  The following are the mail servers I connect all day long while checking emails (and each of these brings up the same error while Internet Mail in Avast is turned on):

mail.pacifier.com
mail.atryeu.net

That last server forces me to use the IP instead of the domain. For some reason I can't connect to that domain for the mail server (or FTP) but I can if I'm looking at the site itself. 

Below are the errors I get:

The server responded with an error. Account: 'Atryeu', Server: 'mail.pacifier.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Cannot connect to POP server 64.255.238.209 (64.255.238.209:110), connect error 10061', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

The server responded with an error. Account: 'Atryeu-Net', Server: 'mail.atryeu.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Cannot connect to POP server 66.45.236.82 (66.45.236.82:110), connect error 10061', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

The server responded with an error. Account: 'Assistant Webmaster', Server: '64.15.133.41', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Cannot connect to POP server 64.15.133.41 (64.15.133.41:110), connect error 10061', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

The above errors were from Outlook Express. In Thunderbird, the error just says   "An error occured with the Pop3 mail server. Mail server  [mail server here]  responded."

Each of the mail servers bring up the exact same error while Internet Mail is going, so I didn't think it was an issue related to just the mail server.  As long as Internet Mail is disabled, all of the emails check perfectly fine.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2007, 01:27:53 AM »
Well I googled the connect error 10061 and it returns many hits.

Winsock Connect Error:
System Error: 10061
System Message:
No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

This may fall in line with Alan's thoughts on not being able to connect.

However, others say it could be AV or firewall blocking and since avast doesn't block it would tend to point to your firewall. This is a little hard to believe as XP's firewall has no outbound checking, just check and see if there is an entry for ashMaiSv.exe in the Exceptions of the XP Firewall.

Are you absolutely sure you have no other firewall, some motherboards come with one ?
What is your motherboard ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

atryeu

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2007, 11:18:49 PM »
I checked again and the XP Firewall lists Avast Antivirus in there... I added in the 'ashMaiSv.exe' manually and it still brings up the error.  I also tried turning off the Firewall temporarily and it still brought the error up.

I'm 100% certain my motherboard didn't come with a built in firewall. I bought the board and set everything up myself. It's an "EliteGroup RC410L/800-M"

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2007, 11:52:25 PM »
There are some Gigabyte MBs that come with a firewall, Armour2 or something like that. I just checked the spec for your MB and there isn't a firewall incorporated into it.

I have been going over the topic again and this bit concerns me.
<snip>
Avast was able to scan my emails once yesterday before it started causing the problems again, so the firewall shouldn't be a problem.  I am currently only using the default firewall that came with Win XP. I double checked the settings and Avast is listed as being allowed.

The avast email scanner should either work or not, it shouldn't be intermittent 'unless you changed something' it should act the same way.

Lets see what is running on your system that may have an impact on avast ashMaiSv.exe, HiJackThis (HJT) Program & Tutorial - Also useful as a diagnostic tool - Download HiJackThis.zip HJT has now been sold to Trend Micro inc. but the 1.99.1 version should still be available here or at one of the download sites. - HJT Information HiJackThis Tutorial 1 or HiJackThis Tutorial 2
Post the contents of the log (copy and paste) in this topic, you may nee to spread the information over two posts.
Ignore any 023 reference to avast processes, this is a hiccup in the HJT 1.99.1 (especially missing file entry for avast)
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Student

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2007, 01:18:23 AM »
Hi
I am having a similiar problem as Jennifer however I can't access my hotmail account now that I have installed Avast and uninstalled Norton. After I enter the login info (Hotmail), I just get a blank screen (no error message). I am using Windows XP SP2. I tried to download the Norton uninstall feature but for some reason, nothing happens when I click on the download button.

any suggestions? thanks

Gail

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2007, 02:48:56 AM »
I have installed ... uninstalled Norton.
1) Remove NAV through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Symantec removal tool following the three steps defined in the SymNRT tool info or here.
3) Boot.
4) Install avast! Boot.
5) See what you get.

Full SymNRT info:
1. Download and save these three files to the Windows desktop:
   a) ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/MSIFIX.bat
   b) ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/SymNRT.exe
   c) ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/SYMMSICLEANUP.reg

2. Run the three files that you just downloaded
   a) On the Windows desktop, double-click the MSIFIX icon.
      Click Run.
      A black window may appear very briefly.
   b) On the Windows desktop, double-click the SymNRT icon.
      Click Run.
      Click Next.
      Click I accept the License Agreement, and click Next.
      Type the letters and numbers that you see in the white box, and then click Next.
      Click Yes or OK at each prompt.
      You may need to click more than once. Your computer may be restarted for you more than once.
      You may be asked to repeat some steps after the computer restarts.
   c) On the Windows desktop, double-click the SYMMSICLEANUP icon.
      Click Run, and then click Yes.
      Click OK.

3. Boot.