Author Topic: Comodo Personal Firewall: what do you like about it?  (Read 127965 times)

CharleyO

Re: Comodo Personal Firewall: what do you like about it?
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2007, 07:23:53 AM »

I still use and like an older version of ZA free (version 6.1.744.001) as it does a very good job and is easy to use. The newer versions of ZA are not as good. The version I use never has crashed and it does not allow server rights without the user giving those rights.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2007, 07:44:08 AM »
Quote from: Tech
Well... isn't it worse? Allowing server rights to all ports?

Quote from: CharleyO
...it does not allow server rights without the user giving those rights.

Correct. Also ZA only gives server rights to eMule, and I assume only to the port(s) eMule uses while open?

Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

coolio10

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2007, 01:56:36 AM »
Hey alwil, comodo decided to give you a chance :D. From here: http://forums.comodo.com/general_discussion_off_topic_anything_and_everything/alwil_software_working_on_a_personal_firewall-t10495.0.html

maybe someone should mention to them, then we can provide them our engine, so that they don't need to develop their own  :) We do have an OEM programme, where we can create a version for them.

Melih

Quote from: LeoniAquila on Today at 04:11:27 PM
Oh, would you actually help a competitor? Or maybe you don't conside them as real competitors as Comodo makes money from certificates, and Alwil from AV? I believe Alwil makes a good antivirus, but any company would need help to get close to Comodo's firewall 2.4 - and any company would need more than just help, to approch CPF 3.0.  ;)

Don't worry Melih, I'll continue to spread the word of Comodo, no matter what Alwil is up to!

As you rightly pointed out, we have different business models, hence we don't mind helping them at all. Any security vendor wanting to OEM/Private label our firewall is welcome to it  :)
Just send me an email and we'll help you out..

Melih
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 01:59:39 AM by coolio10 »

justin1278

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2007, 05:39:07 AM »
Hey alwil, comodo decided to give you a chance :D. From here: http://forums.comodo.com/general_discussion_off_topic_anything_and_everything/alwil_software_working_on_a_personal_firewall-t10495.0.html

maybe someone should mention to them, then we can provide them our engine, so that they don't need to develop their own  :) We do have an OEM programme, where we can create a version for them.

Melih

Quote from: LeoniAquila on Today at 04:11:27 PM
Oh, would you actually help a competitor? Or maybe you don't conside them as real competitors as Comodo makes money from certificates, and Alwil from AV? I believe Alwil makes a good antivirus, but any company would need help to get close to Comodo's firewall 2.4 - and any company would need more than just help, to approch CPF 3.0.  ;)

Don't worry Melih, I'll continue to spread the word of Comodo, no matter what Alwil is up to!

As you rightly pointed out, we have different business models, hence we don't mind helping them at all. Any security vendor wanting to OEM/Private label our firewall is welcome to it  :)
Just send me an email and we'll help you out..

Melih

I thought that was a really nice offer from Melih, maybe Alwil will take them up on it :)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2007, 02:49:31 PM »
Hey alwil, comodo decided to give you a chance

Interesting - but I don't think this will actually take place.

I mean, we've been working on the FW engine for some time yet (so there's already lots of effort behind it), plus I still consider Alwil a technology company - that is, it's not our business model to resell someone else's technology.

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Rafel

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2007, 03:46:26 PM »
Hey alwil, comodo decided to give you a chance

Interesting - but I don't think this will actually take place.

I mean, we've been working on the FW engine for some time yet (so there's already lots of effort behind it), plus I still consider Alwil a technology company - that is, it's not our business model to resell someone else's technology.

Cheers
Vlk

I agree with you.
Moreover, there's AVAST! users don't like CPW.
I am sure AVAST! firewall will be great.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2007, 05:00:08 PM »
Moreover, there's AVAST! users don't like CPW.
There are many avast! user who are currently using Comodo's Firewall.
Until avast! comes out with their own which is equal to or better than Comodo's,
I intend to keep using it. Comodo's Firewall at least passes all of the leak and stealth tests
which is more than I can say for a lot of the other Free Firewalls.  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Rafel

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2007, 05:35:35 PM »
I use COmodo FW because is free and, how you said, passed all leaktests.
I know AFW will be better than CFW, and i expect will be lighter reources user, like AV. And i desire will bew available in my languages(catalan(1st) or spanish(2nd)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2007, 06:42:30 PM »
Hi vlk,

When I know what I know about avast, I think the FW will be greatly appreciated. Very curious as to what you guys have in store for us here.
Will you launch a pre-launch for the evangelists to test it, so you have a general idea what you are offering to the public at large? In that way you have a nice bunch of beta-testers,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

justin1278

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2007, 01:26:00 AM »
Yes I would love to test Alwil's firewall and help report bugs, if that is possible I would be very willing to install it on my test machine.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2007, 03:13:24 AM »
For a while I've though you'll buy Comodo technology... What have make me to think this 'strange' thing? ;D

And i desire will bew available in my languages(catalan(1st) or spanish(2nd)
If they follow the same profile, the translations are done by the users. Can you help?
Is avast (program and files) already translated to Catalan?

Vlk, please, take us out from the dark, help our curiosity, any schedule for the firewall to birth?
The best things in life are free.

Rafel

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2007, 03:44:38 AM »
AV has a catalan version, but not help files. But i don't need help files in AV.
Help file in a firewall may be essential. But if there is a FW section here, no problem.
i can help to translate.
In another forum i can speak with AVAST! AV translator.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2007, 04:23:54 AM »
But i don't need help files in AV.
But other Catalans could need it...

i can help to translate.
You can ask Igor from Alwil team about it...
The best things in life are free.

Sesame

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2007, 12:20:32 PM »
I chime in Tech's suggestion of opening a board for this anticipated product.

I wrote I like configuring PWF but, strictly speaking, I like PWFs which allow me to configure them in details.  I think this is one of the tendency you can expect from a product such as Avast! anti-virus.  Vlk asked of the definition of "ease of use", which can taken as beginner-friendly as some people mentioned above.  This will suffice in dividing the interface into simple and advanced mode.  However, the phrase can be said about saving some routine tasks  for more experienced users as well.  I'll write down some "ease of use" features I'd like to see in a PWF.

1.  I'd like PFWs to remember some common sets of rules and a list of a certain addresses I use frequently.  For example, I made my own HTTP connection rule set for Jetico, named as HTTP rule and categorized it under some rules for web based apps, which also were combined into a few applications such as alternative web browsers, downloader, an RSS reader and updater.  I short, I'd like to build a certain set of connection rules, which makes parts for application rules.  Shame that Jetico didn't have the same future for some IP addresses such as my router, mail servers and update servers since I'd like to see such feature.  Related with this, I'd like to see copy and paste functions for rules sets so that I can easily make rules from lists on more common formats.

2.  To save the users from the initial bombardments of pop-ups, a streamlined way to build rules from pop-ups would be nice.  Some firewalls tend not to allow users to configure rules before they reply to the pop ups.  However, like I wrote in #1, some application rules and addresses may be already in the old rules and only need to be modified a little rather than making it from a ground following the same routine procedures trough pop-ups.   

3.  For ease of use, I like my PFW ask only once to use the same rule sets when the application in question is updated.  There should be finger printing for each app but I don't like to do the same thing for each update when I am sure of what I am doing.

4.  Intuitive interfaces, which I don't think need more explanation.  However, it seems to be really tough to clean up interfaces and quite may PWF interfaces force user to explore a bit when they try to get more control on them.

5.  Personally, I started from old Kerio and there was no advanced or simple mode.  Recently I find quite many users who use simple mode tend to stay in that way for few years.  I'd like to see a PFW, which is beginner friendly but, at the same time, can give information for its users to learn about their environment if they like to learn more, which will build a bridge between simple and advanced mode.  Also,  the users may begin to appreciate the quality of the product after getting some experiences.

6.  Integrity with Avast! Anti-virus Web Provider and Internet Mail Provider.  Especially about Internet Mail Provider, I see quite a lot of regular questions related with SSL connections.  Is Avast! PFW will provide the users with solutions, which doesn't require stunnel or some open SSL tweaks to already existing local spam mail filters such as K9 and POPFile?

7.  I guess I am being very demanding with above suggestions but this is probably the toughest, which is already mentioned equivocally in some of above posts:  For beginners who don't care or are not willing to learn how things work but want protection, I'd like to see some out-of-box easy mode.  In fact, someone behind our router at home tends to click on "yes" to "get rid of annoying pop-ups," which efficiently discourages me to install any PFW.  I set packet rules from/to his computer most strict and let his ISP mail go through gmail, which is more convenient than building our own mail filtering server if not good for his privacy, in order to secure his computer.  Is the upcoming Avast! PFW idiot-proof user-friendly enough for me to finally let him use his  own personal firewall?

gdiloren

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2007, 06:06:11 PM »
I switched to Comodo from ZA a few months back when even the free version of the latter became bloatware.

From what I've heard, it's got excellent protection.  Better yet, from my point of view, there was virtually no learning curve involved in making the switch. The message warnings though are slowing a bit my PC but that's ok. 8)