Author Topic: Comodo Personal Firewall: what do you like about it?  (Read 127959 times)

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
Re: Comodo Personal Firewall: what do you like about it?
« Reply #105 on: September 02, 2007, 12:54:59 PM »
Guys, could you please stop hijacking this thread? I mean it. :(

hijacking ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? Sorry Vlk I don't understand sound like someone it in deep trouble.
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #106 on: September 02, 2007, 02:20:29 PM »
By hijacking, I mean posting tons of off-topic posts.
I don't want to close this thread but with all this off-topic stuff it's becoming useless...

I think I'll prune the thread by deleting all the o-t posts... 8)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2007, 02:30:41 PM »
Vlk,

I understand now you are entitle to close the thread as you wish because you more control over this, and I would to have this thread close because I see to many are getting out of hand.

This is me last post in the thread as of now.
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Rocket69

« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2007, 05:00:42 AM »
Hi guys,

I was just wondering: what is it that you like about Comodo PF? I mean, I once trialed it and didn't find it that great - but I'd be very curious what other people think, too.

To be honest, it is probably no secret that we're working on our own PF and so I'd like to take your input as a constructive discussion of the final version of avast personal firewall.

Of course, if you have other ideas to share (not necessarily related to Comodo) please bring'em on, too!

Cheers
Vlk

I've tried Comodo, liked the interface and ease of use. Didn't like the amount of cpu and ram it uses compared to Sygate.  I've read this entire thread and a few others on the +/-'s of Comodo and other firewalls by the users but assume most of them are the sole user of their pc. That is not the situation here I am a single dad of 3 sons 2 of which are teens and they have every IM (MSN, Yahoo, AIM, Skype, PalTalk, Trillian, with cam/mic all going at the same time) IRCX (private irc server for their online gaming friends and could have as many as 200 connections at any given time), mIRC, multiple browser tabs with either youtube, myspace etc. open, streaming music, online games. So what I look for in a firewall (open to trying a new avast fw) and any other security app is ease of use, low on system resources, and does the job it is supposed to do while not interfering with the multiple apps and connections that are going on almost 24/7 ( only time this pc gets turned off is during storms and rebooted 1 - 2x's a week). So far I've only ever tried 3 different firewalls Sygate started with them with v2.1 and have upgraded everytime a newer version was released until the last one before being discontinued, Keiro forgot which version was in 2004 & Comodo last Sept. then went back to Sygate.

Tried to be as detailed as possible on what all is running on this pc so you get an idea of what is wanted/needed in a firewall solution.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2007, 05:34:47 AM »
That is not the situation here I am a single dad of 3 sons 2 of which are teens and they have every IM (MSN, Yahoo, AIM, Skype, PalTalk, Trillian, with cam/mic all going at the same time) IRCX (private irc server for their online gaming friends and could have as many as 200 connections at any given time), mIRC, multiple browser tabs with either youtube, myspace etc. open, streaming music, online games. So what I look for in a firewall (open to trying a new avast fw) and any other security app is ease of use, low on system resources, and does the job it is supposed to do while not interfering with the multiple apps and connections that are going on almost 24/7 ( only time this pc gets turned off is during storms and rebooted 1 - 2x's a week).
I'm not that far of thinking you need just Windows Firewall and nothing else... why monitoring a crazy demand of outbound programs? If you really wants it, I suggest Comodo after all. You can try PCTools too.
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2007, 06:36:45 PM »
Like Tech suggested, windows firewall is quite good and nothing else out there is easy on resources as WF is. The only problem is outbound protection which is not covered with standard Windows firewall.

Another suggestion - in case you don't have one, I'd suggest you buy and install a hardware router/firewall as soon as possible. Dealing with such a number of chat applications, online gaming etc. will be a lot easier with hardware one... and most important, it will give you a piece of mind. Of course, never forget the human factor - regardless of how good software/hardware protection we have installed, huan factor will always be the most important link in this whole computer security chain. I am sure you already explained to your kids what they are allowed to do and what they can not do when online, but most people don't spend that much time trying to teach their kids... biggest mistake they can make... and then trouble.

So, hardware router/firewall and some light-on-system-resorces software firewall...

Cheers!
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

black_moon

« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2007, 10:20:24 AM »
for comodo users: is it ok to edit the protocol for each application? like instead of having each protocol for incoming(TCP/UDP In) and outgoing (TCP/UDP out). the application can only have TCP/UDP In/Out protocol. thanks.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2007, 08:41:27 PM »
Hi malware fighters,

What I like about Comodo FW is that it is one of two firewalls that implement the kernel mode drivers in their software correctly according to the instructions handed out by Microsoft. A lot of security software had bugs and crashed. Read the results here:
http://www.matousec.com/info/advisories/plague-in-security-software-drivers.php

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2007, 10:54:19 PM »
What I like about Comodo FW is that it is one of two firewalls that implement the kernel mode drivers in their software correctly according to the instructions handed out by Microsoft.
Another positive point to Comodo!

neal62

« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2007, 12:33:14 AM »
To be fair about all this discussion about Comodo. Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall is the OTHER firewall of the two mentioned that has the correct kernel driver mode
implemented.

Rafel

« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2007, 12:47:12 AM »
But Kerio PFW isn't free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2007, 01:07:37 AM »
Yes, Kerio is free. You can try full version for 30 days and after that in case you don't want to buy it, you'll have fully functional freeware version. Some features will be disabled though, but you won't be any less protected than with full paid-for version.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Rafel

« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2007, 02:58:29 AM »
Yes, Kerio is free. You can try full version for 30 days and after that in case you don't want to buy it, you'll have fully functional freeware version. Some features will be disabled though, but you won't be any less protected than with full paid-for version.
Sure?
I prefer COMODO. All for free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2007, 03:10:26 AM »
Sure?
I prefer COMODO. All for free.
Let's be fair. What is 'all' here? The features that Kerio is paied for aren't even available in Comodo. You can compare both free versions. Kerio (not free) has more features than Comodo (free). But, like Sasha said, you won't be less protected with Kerio (free).

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2007, 08:27:34 AM »
Hi Tech,

Sometimes people have problems to combine Comodo FW and P2P. I know some parties want to turn P2P into "a dirty word", but I think in some form or other it will be around for a bit ("some bits") (at least in some countries). This is a way to do it properly:
Comodo Firewall & Bittorent

A mini tutorial of how to open ports for bittorent and similar p2p programs

Go at the "Network Monitor" panel and add the following rule

Rule for TCP/UDP protocol

Action = Allow
Protocol = TCP or UDP
Direction = In
Source IP = Any
Destination IP = your computer IP adress (or "Any" )
Source port = Any
Destination port = the port your bittorent program uses for the TCP/UDP
connections e.g. 62423

You must move the rules up, over the default rule "Block IP in". (
CPF "reads/applicates" the rules from the top to the bottom)

ps. Remember that for CPF "Source IP" is the adress of the computer
which sends the data and "Destination IP" is the computer that receives
them. When your computer sends data is consindered Source, when
receives them is consindered Destination.

For using the search in Kad you must disable the feature "Do protocol
analysis" Wink

IMPORTANT
you will have to disable the UPnP option from the program you use if you
want this guide to work properly. If you don't disable it you will have NAT
problems. Wink

example for azureus:
Azureus->Tools -> Options -> Plugins -> UPnP
There uncheck "Enable UPnP"

By moving the rules you do give a priority to those rules. That is why the
rules are numbered.
#0,#1,#2, #3, etc. The lower is the numberof the rule, the higher is the rules
priority. Wink

The rule with the position-number #0 has the highest priority of all.

polonus

« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 08:29:21 AM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!