Author Topic: Comodo Personal Firewall: what do you like about it?  (Read 127974 times)

Boz-G

Re: Comodo Personal Firewall: what do you like about it?
« Reply #150 on: January 22, 2009, 10:20:56 PM »
I upgraded to the latest Comodo firewall and it denied access to my wireless modem.  Becuse teh interface is so confusing I was not able to get back Internet connection, so I uninstalled Comodo.  I'm now limping along with Win XP built-in forewall and I'm looking for a better free firewall.  I want one that is as simple to use as Zone Alarm free.

Last time I used Zone Alarm it didn't get along with Avast.  Is the new one better? Is there another easy to manage free firewall I can use?

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #151 on: January 22, 2009, 10:34:24 PM »
ZoneAlarm gets along great with avast! on my computers. :)

Try the latest version here.

ceechow

« Reply #152 on: January 23, 2009, 02:22:06 AM »
I tried Comodo and didn't care for the way it showed what was connecting to the internet...Still prefer ZA because I have been suing it for almost 10 years and really like the way it shows what is going out as well as what is coming in.I like the alerts and the way it shows the product mfg and date.I also think the ZA user interface is more user and noob friendly then comodos'.

poppy

« Reply #153 on: January 23, 2009, 10:38:32 AM »
I installed Comodo last year and hated it. All I want is a lightweight, easy to use firewall which won't keep bothering me. This drove me to distraction with its constant messages and complexity. Uninstalling it was a nightmare - Vista security centre was still reporting it as active after I had removed it.
After many hours of sourcing information about this, I finally managed to get rid of it by re-installing, uninstalling again using Revo Uninstaller (deep scan mode) and then using a batch file supplied from the Comodo forum.
Even then the 'fun' wasn't  over - the batch file had disabled the security centre and when I restarted it was not monitoring my AV so I ended up reinstalling it. All is OK now but I really can't do with companies who make their products so hard to remove.
If Avast would care to develop a firewall that is lightweight, simple to use, and not take up a sizeable proportion of the computer's CPU then I would be happy to use it. For now, I am sticking with Vista firewall, the one in my router, and the firewall provided by my ISP at their end. It must be OK as so far I haven't had any infections (using Avast which I like enormously and Defender).

cod head

« Reply #154 on: January 23, 2009, 11:03:55 AM »
If you want to change vistas own firewall into a 2 way one that is not to hard to configure I would suggest vista firewall control by sphinx software.I got it for free also.C net and others have it or get it direct from sphinx. ;)

rdmaloyjr

poppy

« Reply #156 on: January 23, 2009, 01:21:51 PM »
Thank you for the information about Vista firewall/two way configuration. I have been researching this on the Internet but it seemed a bit complicated.
I will go and look at the link because this is really what I would like to do if possible.

poppy

« Reply #157 on: January 23, 2009, 01:49:34 PM »
Registered less than 24 hours ago and already have a good bit of information. Read up a bit and downloaded the Vista Firewall Control and it is an absolute joy - so simple and easy to configure. Already it has alerted me to the Google installer wanting access - going to check this now because am not sure why I need it. Thank you for the advice.

Boz-G

« Reply #158 on: January 23, 2009, 07:29:27 PM »
I wanted to know if anyone has good advise to offer about which free firewall works best with Win XP SP2 and Avast.  Comodo proved too complex and confusing, Online Armor reviews mentioned it doesn't perform well and Zone Alarm is bloated and nags. 

Anyone used (successfully) Sunbelt Personal Firewall (free version)??

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2009, 07:32:43 PM »
The first thing I would suggest is getting XP SP3 as it has been out for over 6 months now and closes some exploits and gives some added security.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sded

« Reply #160 on: January 23, 2009, 08:30:51 PM »
I wanted to know if anyone has good advise to offer about which free firewall works best with Win XP SP2 and Avast.  Comodo proved too complex and confusing, Online Armor reviews mentioned it doesn't perform well and Zone Alarm is bloated and nags. 

Anyone used (successfully) Sunbelt Personal Firewall (free version)??
Don't know what version of Online Armor you are referring to, but sites like Matousec http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php , Scots Blog http://blog.scotsnewsletter.com/2008/03/24/the-best-firewall-software-of-2008-online-armor/ , and Wilders http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31 rate OA very highly as both a firewall and a HIPS.  Or Wilders http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=230726 for a recent discussion of firewall selection.  New version 3.1 should be out soon, since there is a public beta of it at their site http://support.tallemu.com/vbforum/forumdisplay.php?f=23 .  i use the paid version on two Vista machines, the free version on an XP SP3 .  All work well with Avast!  I used Sunbelt when it was Kerio 4, liked it OK but the HIPS is not included in the free version, and overall performance seems to have fallen behind some of the others.  Also used Comodo Firewall/D+ for a year and was a moderator there; now use paid OA in preference to free Comodo.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 11:29:29 PM by sded »

Boz-G

« Reply #161 on: January 24, 2009, 11:51:07 PM »
In reference to Online Armor, CNet had a couple of poor reviews and one mentioned that it was hard to remove if (and when) required.

http://www.download.com/Online-Armor-Personal-Firewall/3000-10435_4-10426782.html?tag=lst-1&cdlPid=10989958

Other than this comment, it sure looks like the app is fine by others ratings. Thanks to all for the info and personal experience.

sded

« Reply #162 on: January 25, 2009, 12:22:41 AM »
Give the OA free version a try-either the public beta of 3.1.14 at http://support.tallemu.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=6706, or wait a few days to see about the next public release.  There are usually more issues with the first public release of a product like 3.0.190, but the extensive beta cycle has certainly shaken most things out now.  Haven't heard of removal problems, but could be with some configurations.  I remove it and reinstall it regularly as a beta tester.  Also find that OA is very quick with fixes and help from the actual developers as well as the volunteers.  Important thing is to find a firewall that suits you, though, and what you think is important, and Wilders is usually a good source for commentary.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 12:51:56 AM by sded »