Author Topic: Can't Access Hotmail after installing Avast Home 4.7  (Read 12874 times)

Student

Can't Access Hotmail after installing Avast Home 4.7
« on: July 10, 2007, 03:38:21 AM »
okay let's try that again..

I recently installed Avast and uninstalled Norton (using the add/remove programs feature). Since then, I cannot access my Hotmail account as I keep getting a blank white screen after typing in my username and password with the word "Done" in the taskbar. I'm using Windows XP SP2 and using the Windows firewall.

The Hotmail account is accessible using my other computer (which is also protected by Avast) so the e-mail account is not the problem.

Any suggestions? thanks

student

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can't Access Hotmail after installing Avast Home 4.7
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 03:48:29 AM »
Norton can be a real pig to remove so I would advise you follow the steps Tech gave in the other post to ensure it is completely removed.

You mention that you have avast on your other computer and that works are there any differences in the installed software, e.g. did you also have NAV on that system ?

If after using the NAV removal tool you still have this problem (but I suspect it may resolve it), check the windows firewall, does it have an exception for ashWebSv.exe ?
Although I mention this I'm none to hopeful as the windows firewall doesn't have any outbound protection and I would suggest you get a third party firewall that does.

Whilst the windows XP firewall is usually good at keeping your ports stealthed (hidden) it provides no outbound protection and you should consider a third party firewall.

Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (sensitive or otherwise, user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 03:51:20 AM »
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 04:01:50 AM »
I asked Student to do so in their previous post as it has nothing to do with the other topic to avoid confusion.

Hi
I am having a similiar problem as Jennifer however I can't access my hotmail account now that I have installed Avast <snip>

I can't see this has anything like the same problem as hotmail is a webmail not pop3 email solution and doesn't use the Internet Mail provider but the Web Shield provider. Please start a New Topic to avoid this topic becoming confused with two different problems.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Student

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 04:08:40 AM »
Very sorry Tech...I thought you were responding to the original creator of the post. Since I have your attention, I clicked on the link you provided to the Norton removal site...what is meant by the comment "The software breaks BITS?" (stated by Reviewers of the removal progam). Is this unsafe to use? What is Dial-a-fix and how will I know if I need it after installing the removal program?

I HATE NORTON ANTI-VIRUS.

student

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 02:33:05 PM »
The SymNRT (Norton removal tools) have been extensively used in these forums by many ex NAV users and I haven't see any issues, so perhaps you can expand on the comment "The software breaks BITS?" (stated by Reviewers of the removal progam) ?

Do you mean lots of different things or are you referring to the BITS (background intelligent transfer service) which is a required service if you want windows update to work.

Transfers files in the background using idle network bandwidth. If the service is stopped, features such as Windows Update, and MSN Explorer will be unable to automatically download programs and other information. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it may fail to transfer files if they do not have a fail safe mechanism to transfer files directly through IE in case BITS has been disabled.

Student

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 02:51:51 PM »
Hi David,

Some of the reviewers state (on the link that Tech provided) that it damages BITS and they go on to say that this affects the computer's ability to utilize windows updates.

Anyway, I have gotten a message saying that the removal tool was outdated with each of the removal tool that tech provided. It won't let me proceed beyond that.

Is there anything else I can do??

thanks
Gail

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 03:26:27 PM »
Well this link deals with even the latest version of NAV so it shouldn't be out of date:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

Besides that I asked some questions in my first post here, differences in systems, is there an exception for ashWebSv.exe in the windows firewall, etc.

Student

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 03:32:20 PM »
Hi David,

The only thing selected under 'exceptions' are itunes and remote assistance. I'm not sure if this is what you are asking...

For some reason, nothing happens when I click the 'download' button on this link you have provided. I can't access it at all...

What if I re-installed Avast? Would it help and would I need to get a new registration number??
Or, Is there a way that I can manually delete Norton files that may be lingering?
thanks
Gail
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 03:40:10 PM by Student »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 03:58:08 PM »
I suggest you add ashWebSv.exe to the exceptions.

What browser are you using ?

Do you have JavaScript enabled ?
It is required the link works for me, it pops-up a window and then I get a download notification, see image.

I'm not sure if a clean reinstall would resolve this 'if' it is related to a NAV remnants issue, but it won't hurt to try.

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/programs.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.

Uninstall avast, reboot, run the Uninstall Utility, reboot, install latest version, reboot.

You shouldn't need to re-register if you still have the email you were sent with the registration key.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 04:01:58 PM by DavidR »

Student

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 08:56:40 PM »
Hi David,

thanks for bearing with me on this...

1. I have no idea how to add ashWebSv.exe to my firewall exceptions.

2. I'm using Internet explorer (6 I think - the newer version that allows you to open different tabs)

3. Not sure if I have Java script enabled but I think I do. The system is set to do an update on the 18th of every month and it tells me that the last one was done on June 18th.

4. I uninstalled Avast and installed it again as you suggested but no change. I haven't completed the installation yet because I can't access hotmail to get the registration key (until I have access to my other computer)

5. I also tried turning off Avast completely and my windows firewall (together) but I still can't access hotmail when I do this. I still get the blank white screen with 'done' written in the task bar.

Gail

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 09:23:47 PM »
1. Control Panel, Windows Firewall, Exceptions tab, click the Add Program... button. You will see a list of programs, check is ashWebSv.exe is in it (probably not), if not use thw Browse button to navigate to the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4 folder and select the ashWebSv.exe.

I somehow doubt that this will resolve the problem, but it eliminates one other thing. The reason I think this is I'm sure that the web shield works with other web pages and if it were somehow blocked by the firewall it should be consistent across all pages.

2 & 3. You will need to look at the Tools, Internet Options, Security tab, and ensure Javascript is enabled (Custom Level button). I think it comes under the heading of Active Scripting, but it really is so long since I used IE.

Either that or try using firefox or opera browser, personally I feel they are more secure anyway.

4. As I feared if it might be NAV related a reinstall would be unlikely to have a effect.

5. You shouldn't turn off avast completely as that disables all protection, but Terminate the Web Shield which is the only element likely to be effected, try that. If that doesn't work then avast isn't the cause but something else, javascript or cookies not enabled possibly. I would also suggest trying a different browser and see if Hotmail works with that.

Student

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 12:46:26 AM »
Hi,

Maybe this will help in identifying the problem...

When I tried to download Mozilla Firefox 2007 Free from download.com (see link below), I get the right screen but I don't get a download button. When I try the same thing with another computer, I can see the download button and can click on it.

http://www.firefox-2007.net/download.php?lang=US

When I terminate Avast, it doesn't help.

As per your instructions under 2&3 (see previous e-mail), under "Active X Controls & Plugs", " Allow Scriptlets" is disabled. Also disabled is " Allow scripting of IE Web Browser Control" "Scripting of Java applets" is enabled.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 12:58:18 AM »
David,

just FYI ... I am supporting several avast users on Windows XP SP2 (including me with multiple systems) who are using the Windows Firewall. 

Not one of us has or has ever needed to include an exception for ashWebSv.exe in the Windows Firewall to support a browser.

(Incidentally - not one of us has or has ever needed to include an exception for ashmaiSv.exe in the Windows Firewall to get or send email).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 01:00:42 AM by alanrf »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 01:22:47 AM »

Maybe this will help in identifying the problem...

When I tried to download Mozilla Firefox 2007 Free from download.com (see link below), I get the right screen but I don't get a download button. When I try the same thing with another computer, I can see the download button and can click on it.

http://www.firefox-2007.net/download.php?lang=US

When I terminate Avast, it doesn't help.

As per your instructions under 2&3 (see previous e-mail), under "Active X Controls & Plugs", " Allow Scriptlets" is disabled. Also disabled is " Allow scripting of IE Web Browser Control" "Scripting of Java applets" is enabled.

Re "When I terminate Avast, it doesn't help."

I think your problem is elsewhere and probably IE6, given the other problems you are having.

Try this link if you normally use the English US version of programs:
http://en.www.mozilla.com/products/download.html?product=firefox-2.0.0.4&os=win&lang=en-US
It will start to load the page but there is a security alert at the top of the page (see image), click on the bar and you will get three options, Download, What is the Risk and Information Bar Help, choose download.

You will now have a pop-up with three options Run, Save, Cancel, choose save and choose a location to save it. Usually it will save to your desktop unless you choose another location, now you should be able to install it.

If you can't do this, your IE or probably security settings are screwed up, sorry about getting technical and I'm at a loss as to what else to suggest, I so infrequently use it.

@ Alan
Yes, I was clutching at straws as the more I see of this the more I feel the web shield isn't the true culprit given the other things going on with IE.