Author Topic: SWITCHING OFF ON-ACCESS SCANNER MESSAGES?  (Read 10301 times)

OXOBOY

SWITCHING OFF ON-ACCESS SCANNER MESSAGES?
« on: July 10, 2007, 02:40:32 PM »
Can someone please help me switch off on-access scanner messgaes.

I've been using & updating avast (home 4.7 free) for about 3 years without problem. I updated today and now scrolls of scanner messages pop out from the taskbar when firefox is working - talling me the file locations being checked. I can't find any settings to switch this off?

Any ideas peeps?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: SWITCHING OFF ON-ACCESS SCANNER MESSAGES?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 02:57:54 PM »
This option, 'Show detailed info on performed actions' is off by default, so it would appear you have been tweaking avast without knowing the effect it will have.

There is also the Internet Mail and Web Shield to check as they too can have this function applied.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

OXOBOY

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 09:27:58 AM »
Maybe there's a glitch because I certainly know what I've ben doing and I didn't alter any settings, just hit updte & then my screen started filling with searched file addresses, NOT ME GUV>
Thanks for your reply though, much appreciated.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 02:15:55 PM »
No problem, why it would change on its own from the default setting is beyond me, but the important thing is that it is resolved.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

TrailBossed

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 02:40:43 AM »
Hey, everybody!

I'm a new Avast! user, and I found this tip quite helpful - since I always tweak my security programs to the max!

Should I worry about those messages - what exactly do they mean? Just wondering!

8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 02:51:24 AM »
They show exactly what files are being scanned by avast. There is nothing to worry about and the list tends to be used to find out what is going on behind the scenes.

It is more a trouble shooting tool if the avast icon is rotating constantly and you aren't doing anything. It should be off by default as it does take up a lot of screen real estate.

TrailBossed

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 06:40:58 PM »
Thank, David!

That's pretty much what I figured.

;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 08:16:38 PM »
Your welcome.

wendy k. walker

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 01:42:02 AM »
Hi All,

I'm way to curious when I see my little Avast! ball working so hard not to want to know just what files are being called up...espescially when I'm not doing anything that should be requiring a lot of files to be opened.

David is right about it making a good trouble shooting tool too because it has helped me, on more than one occasion, to find a problem with my system just because I leave it running 24\7.

♥ Wendy

Janie

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 10:52:34 AM »
I am new to avast home edition and I looked to tried to turn off the on-access scanner messages (or change it to default) but I can't find where.  :-\  Please tell me how to get to Resident Task Settings? I don't see that option at all.  All I can find is Program Settings and I don't see that there. 
Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 02:27:41 PM »
I am new to avast home edition and I looked to tried to turn off the on-access scanner messages (or change it to default) but I can't find where.  :-\  Please tell me how to get to Resident Task Settings? I don't see that option at all.  All I can find is Program Settings and I don't see that there.  Thanks.
It seems that you've changed the avast settings without knowing what you were doing...
This is an option disabled by default. You can turn it off going to the Standard Shield provider settings, Advanced tab an unchecking 'Show detailed information on action performed'. You can do this for the other providers too.
See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=26104.msg213436#msg213436

Welcome to avast. The most configurable antivirus around  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 02:40:42 PM »
I am new to avast home edition and I looked to tried to turn off the on-access scanner messages (or change it to default) but I can't find where.  :-\  Please tell me how to get to Resident Task Settings? I don't see that option at all.  All I can find is Program Settings and I don't see that there. 
Thanks.

Hi welcome to the forum. Left click the"a" icon. Select the provider you want to check, customize button and advanved tab. If you don't see the providers, click the details button.

Janie

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 04:53:38 PM »
Thank you, I looked again and found I needed to uncheck 'Show detailed information on action performed' in the Internet Mail section.  Guess it being checked just there caused it to show scanning everywhere. Thanks for the help!!!  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 05:01:06 PM »
Thanks for the help!!!  :)
Welcome to avast forums! 8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 06:14:42 PM »
Thank you, I looked again and found I needed to uncheck 'Show detailed information on action performed' in the Internet Mail section.  Guess it being checked just there caused it to show scanning everywhere. Thanks for the help!!!  :)

avast is very configurable, there are three areas which this option can be chosen, as the post with the images mentions, however, ticking one doesn't activate the others.

Welcome to the forums.