Author Topic: Boot Time Scan Causing Infinite Restart Loop.  (Read 5125 times)

Z. Daniel Phoenix

Boot Time Scan Causing Infinite Restart Loop.
« on: July 10, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »
I contracted a PSW Trojan, and made a thread about it here. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=29288.0

However, when it was recommended for me to do an Avast Boot Scan, the scan will not start. Neither will windows. It was suggested to make a new thread here for the Avast Team to check it out.

This is what I experienced last night when I started this.

System shut down just fine, and rebooted. My Asus P5N-E logo (my motherboard) kicks on, and after that I get 2 quick flashes of my bios, then... (when the windows logo would normally start) (or when Aavst would start a boot scan) the screen goes blank, and I get: No Signal Input Check Video Cable. After 2-3 seconds of that the PC restarts itself, and it happens all over again.

Safe Mode doesn't work.

The "Last configuration that worked" option, doesn't work either.

It's strange, I've used Avast for months with no problems, or worries about viruses, then this week my PC suddenly decides to dive into problems.

Sure hope someone can help me out here.

Z. Daniel Phoenix

Re: Boot Time Scan Causing Infinite Restart Loop.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 10:06:58 PM »
I'd like to mention that I have 2 HDD's, would partioning a new Windows XP help fix this issue?

And how can I tell Avast not to run it's Boot Scan, if I can't get into Windows?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 11:00:07 PM »
How to disable scan at boot?
Could you please start regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager, select the value BootExecute and export it to a file? If you could post the file as an attachment here, I would like to check what could be wrong there.
The best things in life are free.

Z. Daniel Phoenix

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 11:36:44 PM »
How to disable scan at boot?
Could you please start regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager, select the value BootExecute and export it to a file? If you could post the file as an attachment here, I would like to check what could be wrong there.

As I stated in the original post I cannot get into the computer past the bios. Weirdest thing I've ever seen.

System shut down just fine, and rebooted. My Asus P5N-E logo (my motherboard) kicks on, and after that I get 2 quick flashes of my bios, then... (when the windows logo would normally start) (or when Aavst would start a boot scan) the screen goes blank, and I get: No Signal Input Check Video Cable. After 2-3 seconds of that the PC restarts itself, and it happens all over again.

Safe Mode doesn't work.

The "Last configuration that worked" option, doesn't work either.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 02:01:45 PM »
You can get rid of the boot time scan by deleting the aswBoot.exe file from C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder e.g. using the Recovery Console.

However you mentioned that you could not see even the Windows boot screen, that is normally visible before the boot time scan starts, so there may be another problem.

doug.adkins

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 07:51:48 PM »
I just tried a boot scan and am also getting an infinite start-up loop. It doesn't matter if I select last known good configuration, safe mode or any other choice. It always restarts in the same loop. It is an older computer with XP. Any suggestions?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 07:53:20 PM »
Any suggestions?
Vojtech suggestions on #4.
The best things in life are free.

doug.adkins

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 08:20:12 PM »
Thanks, but I am unable to get out of the loop. I also receive a message saying "error loading operating system". The computer ran fine until I scheduled a boot scan. Now the computer is toast.

bobo1

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 09:46:35 PM »
Hmmm, The virus  damaged Boot sector is very likley, ntldr file corruption,
Have you got a xp cd rom cd? to get into recovery console or do a repair of xp?
If you have not then you are out of luck!
Reading your other post you have been on xp sp2 is no good for the latest version of avast and sp3 is better (ie closed up many virus attack avenues!!!!!)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 09:52:44 PM by bobo1 »

Nesivos

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 02:25:52 AM »
If you have the original XP OS install disk or a recovery disk boot to F2.  Select boot from CD and hit enter.

Follow the instructions on your screen if booting from the CD gets you to a usable screen.