Author Topic: missing secion - avast! U3 Edition - antivirus for U3 USB flash drives  (Read 3764 times)

netsavy006

You seem to be missing a forum for avast! U3 software.

to avoid making 2 topics on this I'm gonna ask my question here as well:

I want to know how does this software work?  Does it have resident protection for the drive?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
From an extract from, http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-u3.html, se below,  I would assume it has.

Virus Shields

Virus Shields (also known as the Resident protection or On-Access Scanner, that is the real-time protection of the device), is one of the most important features of an antivirus program today. avast! features a powerful resident module that is able to detect malware before it has any chance to infect your U3 smart drive and cause any harm, even if you are not logged on as an administrator on the host machine.

The file system protection module ensures that no virus will be saved on your U3 volume, and if one is detected, you are given a chance to remove it instantly.

Even before the Virus Shields start, the host machine is thoroughly scanned to ensure its integrity. If a virus is found active on the host machine, it is not recommended to continue working.

Also http://files.avast.com/files/eng/datasheet-u3.pdf.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 05:57:51 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

darkfader

*bump*

I'm missing a U3 section too.
What I want is to use PortableApps in combination with Avast on my U3 stick. Mainly because the U3 software just sucks and crashes.
But I cannot get it to work :/
Also, I remember there was a Avast version for non-U3 sticks but I cannot seem to find it anymore? Or perhaps I'm just misremembering.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
There isn't a U3 forum, so I think that because it is like a portable version of the main avast 4 home/pro version you could post there and ensure you put U3 problem (or something like that) in the subject. You would certainly need to be more detailed in outlining the problem as this really doesn't help identify the problem.

Quote from: darkfader
What I want is to use PortableApps in combination with Avast on my U3 stick. Mainly because the U3 software just sucks and crashes.
But I cannot get it to work :/

I can't recall there being a non-U3 version of avast and I have been on the forums for over three years.

The only other version vaguely related to portability would be the PDA version but that wouldn't work on a U3 drive.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security