Author Topic: how can i speed up my slow xp computer!  (Read 17164 times)

rdmaloyjr

Re: how can i speed up my slow xp computer!
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2007, 07:37:40 PM »
Second link should be tis one:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/adiskdefrag.html

They are from the same developer so i accidantely posted the same link.

Do you think that is better than your Power Defragmenter with contig then ?
I have Power Defragmenter with contig, but the built in defragger in XP does a better job.  Yes, Power Defragmenter with contig is faster.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2007, 07:48:57 PM »
I honestly can't see how the XP defragmenter does a better job as I check with the windows defrag, analyse to check if it needs defragmenting I run Power Defragmenter, if I check after it is complete (Very Quick) it shows zero fragmentation. So I can't see how you can get better than zero fragmentation.

The time taken to defragment a disk with XP's defragmenter I could almost etch the contents of the disk in stone, a slight exaggeration I know, but like if too short for the XP defrag.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2007, 08:02:16 PM »
Second link should be tis one:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/adiskdefrag.html

On my both machines (desktop (AMD Athlon 64 X2 as well as on laptop Intel Core 2 Duo) Auslogics Disk Defrag is at least 1/3 faster than Power Defragmenter.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2007, 08:29:36 PM »
I must admit I have just moved to Auslogic from power defrag

Edwards19179

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2007, 09:00:42 PM »
RejZoR if you know of any other programmes that could help i will be most grateful!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2007, 09:21:03 PM »
<snip>

On my both machines (desktop (AMD Athlon 64 X2 as well as on laptop Intel Core 2 Duo) Auslogics Disk Defrag is at least 1/3 faster than Power Defragmenter.

Thanks Sasha, I will give it a try.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2007, 09:32:45 PM »
Other good defragmenter worth using is WinContig which can also be found on SnapFiles.
It's fast and has most of functionality similar to my Power Defragmenter. Just with nicer GUI and few more options. Some might like it more.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2007, 08:07:02 AM »
Another freebie defragmenter i really like is JKDefrag, but i prefer this GUI for JKDefrag since it also has PageDefrag built in there. Here's the link: http://www.emro.nl/freeware/

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2007, 08:26:08 AM »
I just found a link to a nice review of defrag tools on the JKDefrag forum. Here's the link if anyone is interested. http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/2007/04/great-defrag-shootout-part-1.html

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2007, 01:46:33 PM »
Nice article Darth_Mikey.

I have run some tests after my weekly maintenance where I take images of my hard disk partitions and save them to another hard disk. This usually results in two files of about 1.7GB and 1.9GB, which are usually in 2-3 fragments each.

Interestingly the smaller file took 32 minutes and the larger one took only 30 minutes this is largely in line with PowerDefragmenter with contig with no huge difference for me.

The major difference is the graphical representation of the defrag (like windows defrag), but more importantly is the progress information and number of clusters processed against the total clusters for that file. So you know where you are and have a reasonably good idea how much longer it will take.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2007, 03:52:11 PM »
PageDefrag is a must have. Run at boot time and defrag off-line the registry and other system files.
Quality from Sysinternals.
70k Standalone

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Utilities/PageDefrag.mspx
The best things in life are free.

Edwards19179

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2007, 11:06:19 PM »
Simple...

First run Windows Disk Cleaner to clean all the unneeded stuff (temporary files).

Then download this tool, scan with it and fix everything it finds:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winregrepair.html

Next step is this tool (not much to write about it just follow the steps):
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/alregdefrag.html

In the end use this tool on all your partitions/disks (it may take a while first time):
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/alregdefrag.html

Make sure you do in the same order for best possible results.
All tools are very straight forward so i don't think you'll have much problems with them. They are very effective though and completelly free to use. Hope it helps.

Hi RejZoR

I`ve ran all those programmes you suggested, thinks have improved slightly! Is there anything else i can do in order to boost performance?

Edwards19179

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2007, 01:43:08 AM »
Hi!

Is there any thing else i can do in order to boost my computers performanace!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2007, 02:24:11 AM »
I don't believe you mentioned what our CPU or RAM is ?
One major improvement is usually by increasing RAM.

You should also ensure that you only run absolutely essential applications at boot, many programs on installation set themselves to start on boot when it isn't required, media players are common for this and don't need to run until you click on a media file.

Over 4 years you have probably installed lots of applications, have check and clean out your system of unused applications.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2007, 02:46:04 AM »
I honestly can't see how the XP defragmenter does a better job as I check with the windows defrag, analyse to check if it needs defragmenting I run Power Defragmenter, if I check after it is complete (Very Quick) it shows zero fragmentation. So I can't see how you can get better than zero fragmentation.

The time taken to defragment a disk with XP's defragmenter I could almost etch the contents of the disk in stone, a slight exaggeration I know, but like if too short for the XP defrag.
After running Power Defragmenter I do an analysis with XP's defragmenter & it shows files scattered all over.  I then run XP's defragmenter to compact them.  The whole idea of a defragmenter is so Windows doesn't have to waste time finding & putting files together.  I may be incorrect in my judgment, maybe you can show where I'm wrong.