Author Topic: _av_prol undeletable folder?  (Read 3482 times)

miross

_av_prol undeletable folder?
« on: July 11, 2007, 03:34:22 AM »
In my Windows/Temp folder is another folder called _av_prol.tm~ and then some numbers. After rebooting it remains. It cannot be deleted - nor any of the cryptic files it contains. Renaming the subfolders is not possible, nor the cryptic files - though I was able to rename the _av_prol folder to removeme.

Google has 3 posts about it with no answer. Yahoo has three matches with one match to this site. A search of this site for _av_prol gets one match when someone pasted their avast log file which showed such a folder being created.

What is this folder and how can I remove this folder and its cryptic files?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: _av_prol undeletable folder?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 04:19:57 AM »
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ might help. It should give information on what is using (locking) any of those files. Usually seems most effective for execs., but worth trying...doesn't cost much! Install it with the option to enable context menu, then right click on the file.
Tried deleting/moving it in safe mode?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 12:26:33 PM »
Thats avast! working folder and temporary files. I see no reason to delete them.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

miross

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 01:08:38 AM »
Tarq,

Thanks for mentioning that software. Interesting.

RejZoR,

Thanks for letting me know what that folder is. Still odd though, considering it's filled with cryptic file names which claim to be Gigabytes in size but whose Properties show 0 bytes in size. Then again, as long as Avast knows how to handle them then all's well.  :)

Michael

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 03:25:59 AM »
Still odd though, considering it's filled with cryptic file names which claim to be Gigabytes in size but whose Properties show 0 bytes in size. Then again, as long as Avast knows how to handle them then all's well.  :)
Well, Michael, you can delete them... for some reason avast wasn't able to do it itself.
There is no reason to keep Gigabytes size temporary files...
The best things in life are free.